• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sabra brand of hummus recalled due to Listeria (which I ate)

Gingergrrl

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm441863.htm

I posted the above link from the FDA which states that Sabra brand of hummus was recalled this week (in the U.S.) due to having found Listeria in it. I had ate some of this hummus this week and the grocery store where we bought it confirmed that they did have the affected batch (which seems to have been nation-wide.)

Obviously I ate it prior to seeing this story and now I am terrified b/c it says it can affect people whose immune systems are not normal :eek::ill::aghhh::mad::bang-head:.

Would the abnormalities in ME/CFS fall into this group or would it be more someone immunocompromised (like transplants or HIV?) It said it mostly affects children, elderly, pregnant women (not me!) and those with abnormal immune system (which I assume is me.) My NK functioning is only 6 so I obviously do not fight pathogens well but other parts of my system seem to be autoimmune so I am confused.

I looked at Mayo Clinic and CDC website and it said you can get symptoms of Listeria for up to two months! So far I do not appear to have any symptoms outside of my normal ME/CFS symptoms. I had some GI symptoms (prior to eating this hummus) but they are actually better now.

I e-mailed my doctor to see what he thinks and I can't believe that I consistently have such bad luck. Should I be worried?

Wayne

Should I be worried?

The report I saw was that these batches of humus "may" be contaminated with listeria--not definitively contaminated. If it was me, as a safety precaution, I would take things that are anti-bacterial. High levels of Vit. C would be my first choice. Should you be worried? Again, if it was me, I would put myself somewhere between the "wary" and "aware" camp--which I don't think rises to the level of worry. -- Does that make sense? o_O:)

Gingergrrl

High levels of Vit. C would be my first choice.

@Wayne thank you for your quick response and I know it is impossible to know for sure if the one I ate had Listeria but the grocery store confirmed that they had this batch (I guess by sku #'s and expiration dates.) I was curious what you consider high levels of Vit C? I currently take 1000 mg of liposomal Vit C daily with no problems.

Wayne

I was curious what you consider high levels of Vit C? I currently take 1000 mg of liposomal Vit C daily with no problems.

I think 1000 mg of lipo C is already a good amount--perhaps even an amount that might have knocked out any possible listeria to begin with. I take 4 mg. of lipo C daily, and don't really consider that an excessive amount. If I had any kind of inkling I was dealing with any kind of bacteria in my body, I would double or triple that amount.

Since your body is used to 1000 mg daily, doubling it as a precautionary measure seems reasonable. It might even provide an opportunity to experiment a bit, and see if 2000 mg / day brings any other changes or perhaps even some improvements. I've found I feel better when I take 4 g daily instead of 1 g.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
@Gingergrrl

Vitamin C won't kill pathogens. Not saying that you have pathogens, but maybe you might.... Who knows?

If it were me in this situation, then I would get some Nutribiotic Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) and take a lot for a couple days. (In my case that would be 5 tablets every couple hours, then back down after a couple days to a more moderate dose until I felt ready to stop.)

I can stomach a lot of GSE and have used it for some nasty food-borne bugs, including salmonella. It is my go-to anti-bacterial remedy.

Some people do not tolerate GSE well, so it's all up to you what you do.

Good luck!

THIS is GSE---> http://www.iherb.com/NutriBiotic-Grapefruit-Seed-Extract-125-mg-100-Tablets/4214

Gingergrrl

@Wayne and @Dreambirdie I honestly do not know anything re: Lipo Vit C vs. grapefruit seed extract killing these type of pathogens so have no opinion or experience. I already tolerate the Lipo Vit C and have taken it for quite a while. I have never taken the GSE (and will look at your link shortly) but I know in general, I am not supposed to eat grapefruit (fruit or juice) b/c of the beta blocker medication that I take. Would this be relevant here?

alex3619

Its a concern but needs perspective. Typically in these cases some of a batch is contaminated, so to be sure they recall the entire batch. Most are probably fine. It does pay to be careful and consult with your primary care provider though. Also, if you are living alone then arrange for someone to check in on you regularly for the next couple of months.

The odds are there will be no issues. Being concerned is appropriate to the extent its precautionary concern.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I am not supposed to eat grapefruit (fruit or juice) b/c of the beta blocker medication that I take. Would this be relevant here?

I have no idea if GSE is equivalent to grapefruit juice....? You'd have to research that or ask someone who knows.

I am only telling you what worked for me and what I would do.

Gingergrrl

Its a concern but needs perspective. Typically in these cases some of a batch is contaminated, so to be sure they recall the entire batch. Most are probably fine. It does pay to be careful and consult with your primary care provider though. Also, if you are living alone then arrange for someone to check in on you regularly for the next couple of months. The odds are there will be no issues. Being concerned is appropriate to the extent its precautionary concern.

Thanks, Alex, and I do not live alone so that is not a concern. I do not have a PCP (GP) but checked with my ME doctor to see what he thinks and have no idea what he will say! I know you are right that part of a batch can be contaminated so they recall the entire batch. The part where they found the contamination was in Michigan and I am in CA but it was the same batch so they recalled the entire thing. I feel so limited in what I am eating right now b/c of histamine issues and it seems that no matter what I choose is wrong (for one reason or another!) Sometimes I feel like I am cursed but know that must sound dramatic.

I have no idea if GSE is equivalent to grapefruit juice....? You'd have to research that or ask someone who knows.

I am only telling you what worked for me and what I would do.

Thank you again and I really appreciate it.

Gingergrrl

The only other anti-bacterial (herb) remedy I know of is the Chinese herb Coptis, but it is a lot harsher and harder to handle. It does work well, however.

COPTIS--> http://www.yahwehsaliveandwell.com/item_236/Coptis-Teapillsbr-Huang-Lian-Su-Wan.htm

@Dreambirdie Do you think Oil of Oregano would do anything in a case like this? I know that I tolerate that one well and afraid to try anything new right now that might be harsh like you said.

This has been discussed a lot and no one seems to really know. Maybe good to play on the safe side.

@Sushi, That is what I am thinking, too.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
@Dreambirdie Do you think Oil of Oregano would do anything in a case like this? I know that I tolerate that one well and afraid to try anything new right now that might be harsh like you said.

Yes, oregano oil is a great option. I do not tolerate it at all, so I didn't even mention it. It is *super* strong, so I have no idea how much (or how little) is enough....? But yes, if you do tolerate it, then give it a shot.

Oregano Oil---> http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/02/01/oregano-health-benefits.aspx

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Yes, oregano oil is a great option. I do not tolerate it at all, so I didn't even mention it. It is *super* strong,
Oregano oil works well for me but it is something that they say shouldn't be taken continuously--maybe a couple of weeks. The best form I've found is Young Living Oils and one drop in an empty capsule and then fill it up with olive oil, is the way I take it. Taking it without a capsule is likely going to burn like hell.

Ema

Oregano oil works well for me but it is something that they say shouldn't be taken continuously--maybe a couple of weeks. The best form I've found is Young Living Oils and one drop in an empty capsule and then fill it up with olive oil, is the way I take it. Taking it without a capsule is likely going to burn like hell.
Yes, it will burn like hell and put you off pizza indefinitely. :)

Gingergrrl

GSE can potentially inhibit the CYP3a4 pathway in the liver the same as regular grapefruit. I'd avoid it.

Thanks @Ema and I will avoid it. I do not have any here anyway.

Yes, oregano oil is a great option. I do not tolerate it at all, so I didn't even mention it. It is *super* strong, so I have no idea how much (or how little) is enough....? But yes, if you do tolerate it, then give it a shot.

Oregano Oil---> http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/02/01/oregano-health-benefits.aspx

@Dreambirdie Thanks and I just took some oil of oregano. I used to take it every day and have never had a problem tolerating it. Which must seem bizarre since my system literally tolerates nothing. I had no idea it was even considered strong! The one I have is in a capsule mixed with olive oil and is 150 mg.

Chances are highly likely that you are not cursed... but in case you are the best remedy for that is pointing your left big toe at the moon and singing Row Your Boat 3 times. It works every time! ;)

I would do this every day if it could help me get better and stop being cursed ;).

upload_2015-4-10_15-23-13.png