• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone used a vibration plate for osteoporosis?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I'm wondering if anyone with ICC/CCC ME has tried such a plate and whether they found it safe in terms of their ME.

I'll be getting a bone scan soon, just in case, and am thinking ahead.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I'm wondering if anyone with ICC/CCC ME has tried such a plate and whether they found it safe in terms of their ME.
I've used them for periods. They didn't affect my ME symptoms but if you are one who gets dizzy or has a lot of trouble with standing, that could be a problem I'd think.

I no longer get dexa-scans so don't know if this had any effect, though there are studies that say it does.

Sushi

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I've used them for periods. They didn't affect my ME symptoms but if you are one who gets dizzy or has a lot of trouble with standing, that could be a problem I'd think.

I no longer get dexa-scans so don't know if this had any effect, though there are studies that say it does.

Sushi

Thanks, Sushi - how long do you have to stand on them?

Sasha

Fine, thank you

Sushi

Just looking into this further - Sushi, did you buy your own plate? If so, which model was it?

perchance dreamer

I was tempted to get a vibration plate, but my eye doctor said there's a chance they can cause small retinal tears. I'm not sure how common this is.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I was tempted to get a vibration plate, but my eye doctor said there's a chance they can cause small retinal tears. I'm not sure how common this is.

Really? :eek:

I've read that there are two types - ones designed for healthy people to exercise with that really bounce you around (and there not suitable for me at any rate!) and ones that do low-amplitude vibration. I wonder if it's the former with the risk.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2001/ast02nov_1/

I saw a video somewhere comparing the two, that showed a bowl of water on each plate. On the exercise plate, the water sloshed all over but on the low-amplitude plate, it just shivered a bit. I think it would be far gentler than walking.