• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

In Memory of Alberta Watson

She'd had ME/CFS since 1984, and was first diagnosed with cancer in 1998. The cancer killed her last month.

She was an actress, most memorably (in my opinion!) in the older La Femme Nikita series.

She was also a member of this forum, Alice1, starting in 2009. She was pretty active here for several years, though hadn't been around since 2012.

She'll be missed.

A post by Alice1 -- February 22nd, 2010:

I'm in the film business and you may have seen some of my work.I'm far from famous but alot of people in the business know about me.
My real name is Alberta Watson and you can look me up at IMBD.
I became ill 23 years ago and at that time no one had heard of CFS/ME/CEBV. I've told producers and directors that I have this illness but I don't think any of them understood.Iit's very different today because of people like you on this board and the doctors who have finally spoken out and for the media who've reported.I thank all of you.
For myself I'll know when the time is right to speak publicly but as I said I'm no star.
Also illness is a very personal journey and some may just want to forget.

Rest in peace, Alberta/Alice1.

Gingergrrl

Rest in Peace Alberta and may your memory be a blessing to your family and all who knew you. I was not on PR when you posted and never had the pleasure to interact with you. My sincere condolences to your family.

meadowlark

Strange, I was thinking of her earlier today. I am really sad about this. I knew her only through messages back and forth, but she was very down-to-earth and gentle. I can't imagine how she managed to stand there under the lights for long periods while filming, take after take.

IMO her best work was on L&O, especially an episode in season 2 or 3 in which she played Claire Danes' mother.

My condolences to her family. Her life was too short.

Daffodil

OMG WHAT?!?!? i knew her. she even came to my house once. we talked on the phone many times....oh my God.

i hadnt spoken to her in years. she was doing OK...she was able to work and was seeing Klimas.

oh no. this is the most horrible news

Daffodil

we talked on the phone once when i was at my limit...i couldnt stand the suffering and was crying profusely. i didnt know her that well but she was so kind to me. she even offered to pay for a naturopath for me (i didnt feel right taking her up on her offer). she was such a genuine person....she even made a promise to me which i wont get into here...but it was something i needed to hear. i was about to take my life and i will never forget that conversation. she didn't judge me...just listened. just such a wonderful person.

Rrrr

I, too, talked on the phone with her and emailed with her over the last few years, but not the last year. She was so very positive all the time and so very kind. She helped me get some supplements from Canada to the USA. She was a lovely person. My heart goes out to her husband and family.