• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Retainers or braces for severly disabled

Tally

I have a rather severe ME/CFS. I wore both a retainer and braces when I was a teenager but now I'm almost 30 and my teeth are getting crooked again.

I don't care for the aesthetics side of it because no one gets to see me anyway, but it is a constant pressure in my mouth and jaw and it's adding to the general feeling of exhaustion and pain.

It's driving me crazy but I am far too ill to go see othodontist, get teeth x-rays and spend hours in the chair while they attach the braces.

Is there anything I could order internationally to be delivered at my home that could help at least a bit? Right now I just push back my teeth with my knuckles to get at least some relief.

GhostGum

Sorry to hear about your teeth and jaw issues, I am now myself 16 months into Damon treatment to fix misalignment and open up my palates a bit which was and has been a very problematic factor in my ME over the years; my mouth and jaw has been screaming out for more room for years.

Did you get teeth removed when you had the braces originally? Able to breath through your nose ok, and also when you sleep? Standard orthodontic work can end up causing issues, especially when teeth are removed and if you had a small mouth/narrow palates to begin with. There is a good short talk here on issues around jaw alignment and proper breathing,

Sorry to get side tracked a little, this may or may not be relevant to you but I wanted to share because if any of it fits for you in the longer term you may want to try and find a good functional orthodontist who can help.

Now if you do some google searches, or even look on ebay there are some labs around who will do a custom fit for you, they send out an impression kit then make one up for you. Hard to imagine any better options without seeing someone. There is also orofacial exercises that might help with the pressure, videos on youtube.

Tally

Did you get teeth removed when you had the braces originally? Able to breath through your nose ok, and also when you sleep?

Sorry to get side tracked a little, this may or may not be relevant to you but I wanted to share because if any of it fits for you in the longer term you may want to try and find a good functional orthodontist who can help.

Now if you do some google searches, or even look on ebay there are some labs around who will do a custom fit for you, they send out an impression kit then make one up for you. Hard to imagine any better options without seeing someone. There is also orofacial exercises that might help with the pressure, videos on youtube.

I never had any teeth removed and luckily my breathing is fine.

I haven't been able to leave the apartment for almost 6 months now and I'm bedridden for most of thateime so I think othodontist is out of the question.

Getting an impression kit sounds like the only option then. I wonder if they ship it to Croatia.