• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HOT! Coffin, Sharma, and Goff@ Conference on Retroviral Infections...

V99

Is this a daft question, but what happens if they then give the monkeys a virus, like EBV?

Sorry, someone already asked this.

Sing

Well, I don't like cruelty to animals. However, a test they might have employed to see if the monkeys were sick, would be an exercise test such as the Lights did, to check for post exertional maiaise indicators. Of course, with animals, they would push them harder, like the test done on lab mice re the results when they exercised to exhaustion.

Sing

Advocate

Well, I don't like cruelty to animals. However, a test they might have employed to see if the monkeys were sick, would be an exercise test such as the Lights did, to check for post exertional maiaise indicators. Of course, with animals, they would push them harder, like the test done on lab mice re the results when they exercised to exhaustion.

Sing

I've had "exercise intolerance" as a google alert for a long time. There is rarely an alert for humans. Maybe most clinicians and researchers think that it's impossible for humans to have exercise intolerance, and if the humans would just practice GET...

But exercise intolerance alerts for animals are fairly common. Veterinarians don't think twice about diagnosing an animal with exercise intolerance. They don't even have to test the animals or force them to exercise; apparently they can just observe the intolerance. (They don't even have to ask the animals to fill out questionnaires.)

So I, too, am hoping that the Emory researchers collected some exercise data on the monkeys they infected with XMRV.

G

George

UMMM, actually I think, according to these papers that all the monkeys are dead. They had four males and 1 female. Females are more expensive than males so they were pretty serious about this study. If Abbot Labs does another infection on an additional set of monkeys then you can take that as real excitement from the Pharma people. (grins) They don't infect those monkeys with just anything!

( I live a few miles from a monkey lab where my neighbor use to work taking care of them)

Hope123

But exercise intolerance alerts for animals are fairly common. Veterinarians don't think twice about diagnosing an animal with exercise intolerance. They don't even have to test the animals or force them to exercise; apparently they can just observe the intolerance. (They don't even have to ask the animals to fill out questionnaires.)

So I, too, am hoping that the Emory researchers collected some exercise data on the monkeys they infected with XMRV.

I believe (and hope) this was so. I too know people who work with animals in research and they do observe them carefully. The center I know of socializes its primates - i.e. they get playtime in a large area with other primates so if these animals were sick, they might observe something then. I think these researchers were more interested in prostate cancer since they chose mostly male animals but I'll take whatever results we can get.

cfs since 1998

It appears these animal experiments were done before the Science paper came out. So were they were just investigating the virus without regard to CFS? Or did they know about it beforehand (unlikely due to scientific embargo)?

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire

Hope123

Cool, Garcia! I've gone to some conferences in the past but they weren't webcasted free like this one!

Also, I figured out how to get to the place you want....click on the thumbnails and the talks advance to that point.

Hope123

Can someone preserve the screen shots of the summary points of the XMRV talks and the multi-colored chart Sharma shows re: organs of monkeys infected?

G

Gerwyn

Hi Garcia .

I have seen the conference XMRV lives most of its life in our DNA and can be inherited.it is very real.Only recently jumped from mouse.can infect any mammal with XRM1 receptor It needs its tail to replicate essentially a region called U3 and there is a small part of U3 called the GRE sequence that is vital for ita replication.The science looks really good as you would expect.It is one hell of a mother to find if there is anything else you want to know I,ll feed it through

G

Gerwyn

Hi Garcia .

I have seen the conference XMRV lives most of its life in our DNA and can be inherited.it is very real.Only recently jumped from mouse.can infect any mammal with XRM1 receptor It needs its tail to replicate essentially a region called U3 and there is a small part of U3 called the GRE sequence that is vital for ita replication.The science looks really good as you would expect.It is one hell of a mother to find if there is anything else you want to know I,ll feed it through

natasa778

an infect any mammal with XRM1 receptor

Prof Ly's presentation showed that actually prostate epithalial cells were infected although didn't express this receptor! They are looking at alternative receptors/ways of entry as we speak. (My bet is on the CCR2 and/or CCR5 ;) watch this space)

It needs its tail to replicate essentially a region called U3 and there is a small part of U3 called the GRE sequence that is vital for ita replication.The science looks really good as you would expect.It is one hell of a mother to find if there is anything else you want to know I,ll feed it through

Abbot's lab guy presentation was fascinating in that they could only detect antibodies in 3 or 4 samples out of nearly 900 (ok healthy blood donors, but still....). Means what? it is present in much less than 4%, or even 1%? or that antibodies are produced only periodically, or not at all... or?

VillageLife

Abbot's lab guy presentation was fascinating in that they could only detect antibodies in 3 or 4 samples out of nearly 900 (ok healthy blood donors, but still....). Means what? it is present in much less than 4%, or even 1%? or that antibodies are produced only periodically, or not at all... or?

To me this is alarming...we already no how many people are testing positive on this forum alone, and its a lot!! So this is a CFS illness!

free at last

From a very young age about 8, I would get terrible pains in my right groin area I had this off and on for many years.At one time a large lump came up and was there for almost a year, then oneday it went... It was also VERY VERY painful when I urinated on this right side for years! not sure what that ever was and I have no idea if it was my lymph nodes.

I had pain in my groin too at the early stages of ME diagnosis and illness, hurt the most when i was ill. I told my hospital consultant this around 1995, Not sure if it means anything, easy to pick out the bits that seem to fit, but at least worth mentioning, just incase patterns do happen. Interesting about the reproductive infection, and groin involvement when ill though isnt it ? also seemed somewhat enlarged i remember.
Still waiting for the UK wpi study to start. to know if im positive or not

Eric Johnson from I&I

Groin pain may represent 'chronic pelvic pain syndrome' - or interstitial cystitis, which may overlap with the former. I had this. At times I had pain from my knees up to my mid-back, plus I had to go to the bathroom 2x an hour. I am cured of it thanks to the Wise & Anderson approach developed at Stanford.