• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

coffee enemas- freddd approved?

alice111

@Freddd and anyone else who is following his protocol

are coffee enemas ok? I ask because they supposedly give a dramatic increase in glutathione, and given my disastrous decline after having glutathione (2 years ago, and yet to recover.. ) I am very hesitant to try this.

supposedly it is different than ingesting glutathione, but I wanted to know if any of you have experience with this, positive or negative?

Thanks!

ahmo

I can't comment on the glutathione angle. And I don' recall Fred ever commenting on CEs. But they've been a central part of my practice concurrently with Freddd's Protocol. I've just completed a 2-month purge of Candida and SIBO and needed CEs daily to get rid of toxins. Seems my own detox mechanism has improved since then. I'm hoping to be able to say 2014 was my year of CEs, as hopefully they'll become a weekly or less frequent maintenance practice. I've compiled some comments I made about my experiences, with some resource links, in my signature.

MCRobbie

My concern with Coffee Enemas is that there are a few papers which suggest bowel flushing techniques, be they laxatives before a colonoscopy or flushing enemas can possibly harm the gut biome and reduce biodiversity. Ive read a few over the years and will never find them all but heres one on Cleansing Flush using laxatives. Retention enemas are a different story but any enemas where you are doing a flush I think there may be a risk to your gut bugs.

Though I do have a ME/CFS friend who has done Coffee Enemas for many years and recently had a GI Effects 2200 stool test with a biodiversity index and she had very good diversity.

http://gut.bmj.com/content/early/2014/12/19/gutjnl-2014-307240.short

Last edited:

helen1

I've been doing them for over a year to good effect. They improve my energy, motivation and mood and decrease my feeling of sickness. I wonder about the effect on gut biome too. This is only one person but I know someone who's sister did 4 a day to detoxify from chemo, which worked in that sense and also her stool analysis recently showed good levels of good gut bugs, in fact, better than before her cancer. So that's reassuring even if it's just one person.

@alice111 When you take glutathione orally or by IV it apparently signals your liver to stop producing glutathione whereas when you do a coffee enema, the caffeine stimulates the liver to produce more glutathione. So the process is quite different and so is the outcome. With oral/IV glutathione people will usually get a short term increase in glutathione then levels will decrease.

Gondwanaland

When you take glutathione orally or by IV it apparently signals your liver to stop producing glutathione
Interesting!
A couple of weeks ago I was feeling well and fearless and started taking some whey powder. The combo of it with my diet and other supps had some undesired side effect and I quit everything, and now feel like crap, and was precisely thinking "it's like I am low in glutathione" and then I stumbled upon your post! Have I become dependent to whey? :eek:

Journeyman

Interesting!
A couple of weeks ago I was feeling well and fearless and started taking some whey powder. The combo of it with my diet and other supps had some undesired side effect and I quit everything, and now feel like crap, and was precisely thinking "it's like I am low in glutathione" and then I stumbled upon your post! Have I become dependent to whey? :eek:
I did CE's once a week religiously for a year from mid 2013 to mid 2014 and am not sure about how good they are. I believe that the first few I did after not having done them since late 2009 really got rid of some bad toxins because I felt bad / fatigued for the rest of the day, and this became less so as I went on over the weeks.

What interest me though is what effect the CE has on those of us such as myself who are lacking the GSTT1 SNP entirely. Does this mean my body doesn't produce any extra glutathione and thus I'm wasting my time with doing them? More importantly: how does a coffee enema interfere (or not) with methylation and my supplementing programme... This is something we should all be aware of because its not a fun thing to do, takes a lot of time, and I know that I get dry eyes and a bit of malaise on the days I still do them....

Regards
Journeyman