• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help reducing Sulfate Levels

Hey folks I'm feeling a little bewildered and hoping for some pointers/advice.

I have mild Crohns disease, low cortisol, testosterone and brainfog. I had been taking individual B vitamins for the past 2 weeks but have felt a veil/reduction in speed to my cognition.

Looking at some of the threads I noticed some folks mentioned treating the CBS mutation first (I am CBS A360A +/-). I ordered some sulfate strips and was stunned to find my sulphate levels were at 1600ppm.
Over the last few days I have dropped all B vitamins and cut out meat, cruciferous vegetables and added Yukka plant powder, activated charcoal and molybedum 4 days later and my levels are still high at 1200
Questions_
-What am I doing wrong?
-How long did it take you to reduce your levels?
-How did you feel after they were reduced?
-Should I stop all B vitamins including B12 while I get this level lower?
-Can I still consume Pea Protein powder and Fish?

Gondwanaland

I am CBS A360A +/-
This doesn't configure a CBS problem
Can I still consume Pea Protein powder and Fish?
These are high in purines and may cause you problem

How much of each vitamin have you been taking? Have you ever had high uric acid?

Ammonia can be a problem especially if you are +/+MTHFR 1298, are you?

Ammonia and uric acid are discussed in the link on my signature "Uric acid"

Thanks G. Will reply to your vitamin levels question when I get home. I don't know how to test for high uric acid - will follow your signature later.

As for full list of mutations if it helps they are below. Could Uric acid/ammonia still be a problem based on these mutations?
CBS A360A +/-
BHMT -02+-
BHMT-08 +-
MTRRK350A +-
MTRR A66G +-
VDRBSM +-
COMT H62H +-
COMT V158 +-

VDR taq++
MAO R297R ++

Okay I read the introduction to SNPS and the Uric acid posts, I take my hat off to you all- you are some seriously knowledgeable people! Looking at some of the posts I tweaked my supplements to the following and felt better but who knows if this is optimal. Any suggested tweaks to lift the brain fog?

Food
-No Pea Protein or meat.

Supplements
-Jarrow Ubiquinol co-Q10
-Hydroxo B12 (2000mcg)
-Sunflower Lecithin (with Phosphotadiyl Choline) 1200mg
-Yucca 490mg
-Zinc 50mg
-Thorne Vitamin D/K2 (1000IU)
-Doctors Best L-Carnitine Fumate (855mg)
-Potassium 99MG
-Jarrow Sacchromyces Boulardii (1 capsule)
-L-Serine (500 mg) I was shown to be deficient in this via an spectracell blood test
-1 Activated Charcoal
-2 Digestzymes
-2 Jarrow krill Oil
- Natural Calm Magenesium Supplement (1 teaspoon)
-Molybedenum 500 mcg

Footsoak with 1 tablespoon of baking soda.

Some vitamins I cut but I wonder if I should bring back:

-NAC 600mg
-Methyl Folate (5-MTHF) 1mg
-P-5-P 50 MG
-B2 Riboflavin 50mg
-B7 Biotin 10,000mcg
-Jarrow Methyl B-12 5000mcg
-Adeno B12 (3000mcg)
-Lithium ornate 5mg (deficient via hair test).

Gondwanaland

Don't stop eating meat. Are you trying to follow Freddd's protocol? Your supplementation seems kind of random.

A summary of his protocol has been outlined by sheclimber. Sherpa wrote an approach under +/+MAO-A point of view. Links in my signature under "Freddd's Protocol". There are two approaches: increasing doses quickly, or increasing slowly. You have to find out what works for you.

A few comments about what is popping to my eyes:
1. start with the co-factors
2. titrate doses carefully up to best effect
3. Perhaps being only +/- for COMT you can tolerate MB12 well, starting with 500mcg or less.
4. I don't think you will notice any good effects from LCF without Mfolate, AdB12 and MB12
5. Charcoal should not be taken daily, keep it for emergencies since it binds everything from your gut and can deplete minerals and vitamins
6. one needs more potassium if methylation kicks in
7. Personally I only get help from S. boulardii taking it 1x weekly or less
8. Molyb helps a lot of people, but not me
9. I think some doses are too high, esp. P5P, B2, B7, zinc, but everyone has personal needs

Try eating carrots for brainfog (1 at lunch, 1 at dinner)
How is your thyroid? Have you considered taking some glandulars?
I think you need to get familiar with Freddd's protocol to get your dosages right. This means more reading.

Gondwanaland

I have some suggestions for priorities to you:
low cortisol
Priority nr. 1 adrenal support. You need salt rather than potassium right now
mild Crohns disease
You need a diet that works for you. Be it GAPS, AIP, Paleo. In caledonia's links she has a gut rebuilding program to address before methylation.

Many people with autoimmune condition have a big help from Low Dose Naltrexone LDN. Also something to look into.

Thanks for all of the pointers G.Sherpa's links look especially relevant. When you say start with the co-factors, are you thinking of her co-factors which looks like the following:

Additional Co-factors - as required:Riboflavin (B2), regular B6 or coenzymated B6 (sublingual P5P), Vitamin C, Vitamin D3, curcumin, Doctor's Best L-carnitine Fumarate, Extramel SOD extract, D-ribose,NADH, thyroid glandular, and additional Metafolin (methylfolate).

Ref gut I'm already on a pretty tight gut rebuilding program (very close to AIP). Also I thought I had to give up meat to try and get my sulphate levels down first of all. Through my reading I thought Yasko suggested doing this first before beginning methylation.

Per point above, interesting to hear you say that I'm doing methylation protocol backwards. I have been trying to add things slowly but I thought I would stop and work on sulphate first unless you think that this is unnecessary?

Gondwanaland

When you say start with the co-factors
Minerals, B complex, thyroid and adrenal support if needed. I can't take curcumin, neither can my husband.
Perhaps the co-factors are better outlined in caledonia's guide or in ahmo's compendium.
I have been trying to add things slowly but I thought I would stop and work on sulphate first unless you think that this is unnecessary?
Have you seen dr. Ben Lynch's recommendation to open up the sulphite path with thiamin?

I don't know about that, my problem has always been ammonia and my arsenal to deal with it is very limited due to salycilate intolerance ("Uric acid" liknk, plus seach for ammonia in thread titles).