• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Samento : beware ... quinolone side effects !

Hanna

I have been using Samento -among other numerous treatments - for nearly 9 months (rotating them) and those last months, I am experiencing pain in legs (thigh + calves) that feels like tendinitis.

I didn't know that using Samento may cause tendon damage, like quinolones do.

And the reason is simple :

"T.O.A.-free Cat’s Claw does have direct antibiotic properties and is also an anti-inflammatory and immuno-modulator. The antibiotic component of the herb is attributable to the considerable quantities of quinovic acid glycosides found in the herb, which are natural precursors to pharmaceutical antibiotics known as Quinolones." (from Rosner's book on Lyme http://www.lymebook.com/lyme-grapefruit-lauricidin-colloidal-silver-samento )

Dr James Schaller :
http://www.personalconsult.com/articles/fluoroquinolonedamage.html

"Fluoroquinolone Damage

One serious side effect that is not commonly discussed with patients is tendon and other tissue damage with these antibiotics. The quinolones include Levaquin and Cipro and even the popular "Lyme-killing" herb Samento or "cat's claw."

I think I am going to stop it for a while and see what happens...
Maybe some of you know one or two natural supplements I may add to bring some repair/relief to the tissues ?

Last edited:

ahmo

Wayne

Maybe some of you know one or two natural supplements I may add to bring some repair/relief to the tissues ?
Hi @Hanna, thanks much for bringing this to our attention. My own philosophy on just about any kind of ache or pain or discomfort in the body... castor oil + heat. Castor oil alone will work--and even does an amazing job of making your skin look years younger. When I apply heat (usually on my liver when I do a castor oil pack), I usually just apply the oil, put on an old t-shirt (or 2), and put a hot water bottle on top. Besides reducing pain and discomfort, castor oil has a unique ability to harmonize distressed nerves in the area leading to sometimes amazing relaxation.

South

Possible involvement of nitric oxide in the quinolone-induced tendon lesions in rats:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9403275
"The incidence of lesions was diminished markedly by co-administration of a potent NO synthase inhibitor"

N.O. Synthase increases the levels of nitric oxide in the body.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitric_oxide_synthase

So, rats given something to reduce their nitric oxide levels avoided some or all of the tendon damage that quinolones can cause.

I think I got that right?

If that's correct, there are a few natural things out there that reduce nitric oxide (although not as strongly as the studied chemical did). Anyone think I read this study right?

Hanna

@Hanna I'm sorry to hear of your tendon issues. My DH was on Cipro, and suffered tendon damage.:( I'm linking a couple sites for people who have been using Cipro/fluorquinolone. Maybe you'll find something useful.

http://floxiehope.com/

http://www.survivingcipro.com/useful-information/three-things-that-worked-for-me/

http://www.survivingcipro.com/my-favorite-links/

Thanks @ahmo for the links, I am going to try what I have at home first : oxygen peroxyde and bentonite foot bath, CE... Hope it will help. Once again, detox deto detox !
I still have a stock of bentonite from Now brand - ends 12/2014 - I don't know if using it several months after its ending date is so important for foot bath. Maybe u have an idea ?

Hanna

Hi @Hanna, thanks much for bringing this to our attention. My own philosophy on just about any kind of ache or pain or discomfort in the body... castor oil + heat. Castor oil alone will work--and even does an amazing job of making your skin look years younger. When I apply heat (usually on my liver when I do a castor oil pack), I usually just apply the oil, put on an old t-shirt (or 2), and put a hot water bottle on top. Besides reducing pain and discomfort, castor oil has a unique ability to harmonize distressed nerves in the area leading to sometimes amazing relaxation.

Thanks @Wayne I havn't used castor oil so far (perhaps because of its name :) ), and will have a look on this.

Hanna

Possible involvement of nitric oxide in the quinolone-induced tendon lesions in rats:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9403275
"The incidence of lesions was diminished markedly by co-administration of a potent NO synthase inhibitor"

N.O. Synthase increases the levels of nitric oxide in the body.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitric_oxide_synthase

So, rats given something to reduce their nitric oxide levels avoided some or all of the tendon damage that quinolones can cause.

I think I got that right?

If that's correct, there are a few natural things out there that reduce nitric oxide (although not as strongly as the studied chemical did). Anyone think I read this study right?

Maybe I should rise my curcumin daily dose as a first step. L-Arginine may be a no-no for me because of suspected chronic EBV.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16387899

ahmo

I can't imagine that there's a use-by date for bentonite.

Manganese is good for tendons, also collagen. My husband was in agony from what seemed to be a tear in his shoulder. (only got it scanned today, no clear dx yet.) He's had 2 acupuncture treatments, which seem to have been miraculous. The acupuncturist said at the outset that he could take care of such problems in about 4-6 sessions. I was very dubious, but it seems to have been true.

Last edited:

South

@Hanna

Hi Hanna, If that paper I posted is correct, you wouldn't want to take Arginine - taking it increases nitric oxide. The paper I mentioned seemed to say reducing nitric oxide will help. Arginine usually increases nitric oxide.

Hanna

OK, I am afraid I have to read your info another day, with more concentration. thanks. If folks have a list of good supplements that reduce nitric oxide, it will make the thing easier. Martin Pall protocole?

Martial

I have been using Samento -among other numerous treatments - for nearly 9 months (rotating them) and those last months, I am experiencing pain in legs (thigh + calves) that feels like tendinitis.

I didn't know that using Samento may cause tendon damage, like quinolones do.

And the reason is simple :

"T.O.A.-free Cat’s Claw does have direct antibiotic properties and is also an anti-inflammatory and immuno-modulator. The antibiotic component of the herb is attributable to the considerable quantities of quinovic acid glycosides found in the herb, which are natural precursors to pharmaceutical antibiotics known as Quinolones." (from Rosner's book on Lyme http://www.lymebook.com/lyme-grapefruit-lauricidin-colloidal-silver-samento )

Dr James Schaller :
http://www.personalconsult.com/articles/fluoroquinolonedamage.html

"Fluoroquinolone Damage

One serious side effect that is not commonly discussed with patients is tendon and other tissue damage with these antibiotics. The quinolones include Levaquin and Cipro and even the popular "Lyme-killing" herb Samento or "cat's claw."

There is a lot of controversy regarding quinoline based roots with samento/cats claw, at least around the lyme groups online. Here is Buhner's personal take on it.

rom page 102 of Stephen Buhners Book - healing lyme

Cats claw and the quinovic acid controversy

"A rumor has spread that the quinovic acids in cats claw are, at root the same as quinolone antibiotics. The rumors say that this is why cats claw is effective against lyme spirochetes. Concern has been generated by this untrue assertion because quinolone antibiotics can cause severe inflammation in tendons. So, the word is that cats claw can cause tendonitis resulting in tissue distruction over time. This is all completely untrue. The quinovic acids in cats claw are structurally different than quinolone antibiotics. Molecularly, they are not the same at all and they do not do the same things."

Personally I don't know if cats claw/samento could cause literal tendon and muscle damage in the way that quinoline antibiotics do. If anyone were ever to experience side effects on it they don't agree with it is best to get off of it. A lot of things can also be herxing because its a very powerful herb. All that aside a great substitute for cats claw is Ashwaganda,Rhodiala,Teasal/elethero root combined together.

Hanna

Thanks @Martial for the Buhner info. For the moment I have stopped Samento for more precaution. It is ennoying never to be sure about anything and navigating in the darkness. :( And I am sorry if I contributed to spread a rumor (according to what Buhner says).

Martial

Thanks @Martial for the Buhner info. For the moment I have stopped Samento for more precaution. It is ennoying never to be sure about anything and navigating in the darkness. :( And I am sorry if I contributed to spread a rumor (according to what Buhner says).

Indeed, I was using Prima Una De Gato for a very short time before. Heard the controversy and decided to just take the Ashwaganda/Teasal/Rhodiala Combo instead. Even if it wasn't likely I didn't find it worth any risk when you can substitute something else. I hope you start feeling much better soon Hanna, the darkness and confusion can be overwhelming at times, it is always darkest before the dawn though. :)

Hanna

Thanks again Martial, do you know if there is a substitute to Rhodiola (I began to react beadly to it after several months of regular use, and prefer to stay away from it for a while) in the combo Ashwaganda/Teasel/Rhodiola ?

Martial

Thanks again Martial, do you know if there is a substitute to Rhodiola (I began to react beadly to it after several months of regular use, and prefer to stay away from it for a while) in the combo Ashwaganda/Teasel/Rhodiola ?

You can try Eleuthero root. Japanese Knotweed is also not part of it but that is one of the best herbs you can take for lyme as well. Green Dragon Botanical sells a bottle of 100 for only 24 dollars.

Thinktank

@Hanna, are you still using samento?

I've developed some joint pain in my fingers and worsening of cognitive function since upping the dose of samento, it kinda feels like when i was poisoned by ciprofloxacin (fluoroquinolone class Ab). I carry a genetic mutation that makes me more susceptible to fluoroquinolone toxicity so maybe it's best to substitute samento with something else.

Last edited:

Hanna

I am taking again Samento (resume treatment three days ago) but perhaps I am playing with fire @Thinktank . I really don't know. My body doesn't indicate a clear reaction wether beeing bad or good.
There is a specific SNP that points to fluoroquinolone intolerance ?
I didn't know. But maybe if you have this bad feeling (associated with cipro poisening) + the knowledge of your SNP's caution would be better.
Living outside the US doesn't make it easy for getting the herbals Buhner advocates. That's a problem.