• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High B12 - what to do

Hi this is the 2nd time my B12 came back high near 1000. Of course doctor doesn't recommend anything. i occasionally get tingling in extremeties, fatigue, and brain fog. Although im not sure if brain fog is from low bodyweight or not. I seem to be doing a little better. I just started to supplement with Thorne's B-complex which has B-6, B-12, & folate.

How can I get a more accurate B-12 reading? Should I look into 23andme site? Thanks.

I just started Gaps diet too. I have symptoms of SIBO so malabsorption in the small intestine is probable.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
According to this article

High or very high serum B12 is an indicator for low serum lithium, which can easily be checked by blood test, or hair elements analysis and urine toxic metals and essential elements.

Thanks for response. What type of blood test tests for low serum lithium?
I have had a a hair analysis but most of my minerals were fine except low calcium/magnesium ratio, and it showed signs of detox. No heavy metals from the analysis. I have no gotten urine tested though.

Crux

Hi;
From what I've read about SIBO, B12 deficiency can usually occur. There are B12 producing bacteria, B12 utilizing bacteria, and we end up deficient even with normal to high measures.

If you can treat it with diet, and herbals, that would be the easiest, with the least side-effects.

dannybex

Your b12 can be 'high', but actually functionally low. The test to find out if it's the latter, is the MMA test -- measures methylmalonic acid. RichVank has many posts on this here on PR.

Tingling or neuropathy can also be a result of low thiamine, and/or caused by even low amounts of b6, which needs sufficient b2 to break it down to it's active form, p5p.

drob31

My High b12 seems to be caused by supplementation. Although I think danny is correct about the functional aspect of it.

Gondwanaland

I think that a homocysteine result (ideal is 6.3) can tell you if all your B12 is being properly used by the cells and Methylmalonic acid by the mitochondria. B12 result on its own is useless.

PeterPositive

I think that a homocysteine result (ideal is 6.3) can tell you if all your B12 is being properly used by the cells and Methylmalonic acid by the mitochondria. B12 result on its own is useless.
You may be right about homocysteine, but I am probably an exception to the rule.
My Hcy level was 13-14 when taking exclusively Ad-B12 (800mcg / day) for months.

Then I added Methyl-B12, 2000mcg / day. After 3 months my Hcy was 12-13.
Then I pushed Methyl-B12 to 8000mcg / day. My Hcy was still 12.5, after 6 months

All other co-factors in place as well, B2, B3, B6, methylfolate, zinc...
At this point I am baffled. At least by the fact that 4x the dose of B12 doesn't change anything. Nor does adding more or less cofactors.

I am also questioning how the Hcy labs are accurate. Dr Lynch says that after the blood is drawn it should be immediately refrigerated and spun by the lab otherwise the red cells will continue to release homocysteine.

I have no idea how my lab handles this situation and if they are reliable. If the testing conditions are different I am not sure how precise these tests are.