• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A comprehensive list of all sleep meds

alice111

Perhaps there is already one here on PR, but if not I thought this might be a good resource for those of us needing hardcore sleep meds, especially since for many having enough to rotate is key. A good list with all the options out there -and if they are initiators, etc would be very helpful to have something to take to doctors.

I know teitelbaum has a good list.
Myhill has the cocktail she recommends
Cheney has his two recs- klonopin and doxepin

Are there other lists? If not on PR then perhaps on another website?

Perhaps there is already one here on PR, but if not I thought this might be a good resource for those of us needing hardcore sleep meds, especially since for many having enough to rotate is key. A good list with all the options out there -and if they are initiators, etc would be very helpful to have something to take to doctors.

re doxepin: if you are a male with prostate issues, doxepin will cause urine retention = big trouble.

I know teitelbaum has a good list.
Myhill has the cocktail she recommends
Cheney has his two recs- klonopin and doxepin

Are there other lists? If not on PR then perhaps on another website?

SOC

My biggest sleep problems are maintaining sleep and achieving deep sleep. Trazodone works wonders for me unless I get the Pliva/Teva generic which is dreadful for me -- it gives me severe psychiatric symptoms that only occur while I'm on that generic and no other time. For me, Apotex is the best, so now my doctor specifies that one on the script.

Trazodone is not particularly a sleep initiator. It's main effect is increasing stage 3 and 4 sleep. I had to take Tylenol PM in addition to trazodone in the early days. Now that I'm better, I only take the trazodone. It's effectiveness has not waned over the 7-8 years I've been taking it.

john66

I used to call it trazadrunk, because of they way it makes me feel the following day. It does help achieve deeper sleep, but it wont work alone for me.

SOC

I used to call it trazadrunk, because of they way it makes me feel the following day. It does help achieve deeper sleep, but it wont work alone for me.
Is it possible the dosage was too high for you? I've never felt drunk, or groggy, or anything like that the next day in all the years I've been taking trazodone. Of course we're all different, so it's quite possible we just have different rxns to the same med. :)

john66

I think it is because it is an anti cholergenic, which dries you out. I used to combine with Ambien-which doesnt do much of anything anymore. The generic ambien from Teva-I believe has about 3 mg of actual zolpidem in it. I was being flip of course. Seroquel made me non functional the following morning. The dose I was taking was 50 mg. I tried cutting in half then quarters. In one of Jag Goldsteins books, I remember him writing that acyclovir and flumenazil were antagonists to the GABA drugs, I wonder if what ever viri I have dancing around is doing it's thing on that level.