• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Raising Phosphatidylcholine indirectly

Peyt

Hi,
I have had bad reaction to taking Choline, Phosphatidylcholine, Alpha-GPC, Soy Lecithin and Huperzine-A all of which have had an amazing calming effect for my mental health and mood within hours and unfortunately all of which have cause inflammation of my body and bloating and all kinds of side effects.... I now know why and it has to do with the TMAO that gut bacteria produces .... here is a video that explains that real well:
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/carnitine-choline-cancer-and-cholesterol-the-tmao-connection/

So I am not giving up yet because I have felt so good mentally while on Choline that I want to find a way to get around this side effect. I have since been mixing my favorite brand Alpha-GPC with some cream in a mixer and applying it topically for the last month and enjoying some benefits without the side effects mentioned about....

Now here is my question: are there any supplements that can indirectly raise Choline in the brain?
I have heard somewhere that DHEA can eventually raise Choline levels, is that true?
Any other recommendations are very appreciated .
Thanks

adreno

PR activist
Huperzine A is not a source of choline. It's a cholinesterase inhibitor.

Another way to increase acetylcholine levels in the brain is to use ALCAR.

Crux

Gut dysbiosis can cause choline intolerance. ( so can a genetic mutation, FMO3)

I've read that the dysbiosis can be treated with antibiotics, such as metronidazole and neomycin. They are strong, though, and the metro can cause neuropathy. ( I've tried low dosages of both.)

I've had this intolerance, and I've been trying some antibiotics for the dysbiosis, but I haven't tried any choline supps. yet.

Sorry, I don't know about the relationship between DHEA and choline.

Peyt

Thanks Adreno and Crux for your posts,
I just saw this article about an Indian herb that apprarently is very popular in traditional indian medicine called Brahmi(or Bacopa) that is apparently is cholinesterase inhibitor:

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/article...r-neuroprotective-and-has-antioxidant-effects

Now please educate me on this, when we call something an cholinesterase inhibitor, does that mean it will help the slow down the break down of Choline and thus leave more in the brain/body?

Crux

Thanks Adreno and Crux for your posts,
I just saw this article about an Indian herb that apprarently is very popular in traditional indian medicine called Brahmi(or Bacopa) that is apparently is cholinesterase inhibitor:

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/article...r-neuroprotective-and-has-antioxidant-effects

Now please educate me on this, when we call something an cholinesterase inhibitor, does that mean it will help the slow down the break down of Choline and thus leave more in the brain/body?

This sounds like a job for.... @adreno !

adreno

PR activist
Cholinesterase is the enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine, so an inhibitor of this enzyme will leave more acetylcholine floating around.

Choline is a nutrient, not a neurotransmitter. It is used in the synthesis of acetylcholine. It is also a methyl donor.

Last edited:

Crux

Which SNP? What is the bad version?

The risk allele in, FMO3 rs 2266782 , is A. http://snpedia.com/index.php/Rs2266782

I'm an AG, and supposedly heteros won't have it, but there have been times when I've smelled fishy and musty after taking supps. with choline, or phosphatydylcholine,etc.
Must be from the gut again. ( guess I'm just a little stinker sometimes :snigger:)

btw, I pretty much gave up on the genetics stuff. It's so equivocal, difficult to find risk alleles, etc.. I guess that can hold true for most things...

Gondwanaland

The risk allele in, FMO3 rs 2266782 , is A. http://snpedia.com/index.php/Rs2266782

I'm an AG, and supposedly heteros won't have it, but there have been times when I've smelled fishy and musty after taking supps. with choline, or phosphatydylcholine,etc.
Must be from the gut again. ( guess I'm just a little stinker sometimes :snigger:)
I am AA, but my husband is GG, thanks for calling my attention to this one! :thumbsup: I have started him yesterday on choline:wide-eyed:

Peyt

Cholinesterase is the enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine, so an inhibitor of this enzyme will leave more acetylcholine floating around.

Choline is a nutrient, not a neurotransmitter. It is used in the synthesis of acetylcholine. It is also a methyl donor.

Are there any Pharmecutical drugs that are considered cholinesterase inhibitor?