• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pain in upper back, spine - Lyme?

Lotus97

For the past week or so I've been waking up in the morning with pain in my upper back that seems to originate from a point in my spine. I think it's partially because I sleep on my stomach, but I can't fall asleep in any other position. I also think it could be due to Lyme since there seems to be some information about it occurring in and affecting the spine.

I had a phone appointment with my doctor. He wants me to go off antibiotics and come in for an appointment since I've been on them a year, but I don't see what he can do for me since he wasn't much help on the phone. I tried stopping antibiotics for a few days, but that didn't help.

I've thought about seeing a chiropractor, but I'm afraid that could make things worse. Also, both times my Lyme rash has appeared was after seeing a chiropractor so I'm concerned that could stir things up and make everything worse since the Lyme bacteria can encyst in the spinal fluid.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I've long had a pain that feels as though it's in my spine, located between my shoulder blades. Recently I saw a physio about a neck problem and he said that in my case, both are caused by weak, tense muscles in my neck reducing blood flow. The remedy is heat applied to the back of the neck and gentle tilting and rotation (not nodding) of the head to get oxygen to the tissues.

I don't know if this will apply to you!

Martial

There are so many possible things that can cause that it would be impossible to say from this alone. Sasha gave some good pointers too. I know for myself that Lyme causes aches and pains all through out my body though I have been re-markedly doing a lot better as of late. The thing about Lyme is that it affects each and every person in different ways.

Lotus97

Thanks for the replies. Something I forgot to mention is that I've been more tired than normal over the past week. It could just a coincidence, but I'm normally more wired than tired.

And I don't want to point the finger at Lyme without knowing more, but at the same time I don't want to overlook the possibility.

Martial

Thanks for the replies. Something I forgot to mention is that I've been more tired than normal over the past week. It could just a coincidence, but I'm normally more wired than tired.

And I don't want to point the finger at Lyme without knowing more, but at the same time I don't want to overlook the possibility.

It can absolutely be a possibility, also extremely important to investigate as you do not want the bacteria to run free scavenge throughout your body. What were you on antibiotics for so long for though?

Lotus97

It can absolutely be a possibility, also extremely important to investigate as you do not want the bacteria to run free scavenge throughout your body. What were you on antibiotics for so long for though?
The antibiotics were for Lyme. I was under the impression that treatments for Lyme can often last over a year. I think my doctor wants me to continue with herbal treatment, but the antibiotics are covered by my insurance and the herbs are expensive so I'd like to continue taking both since I'm not sure if the herbs will be enough.

Martial

The antibiotics were for Lyme. I was under the impression that treatments for Lyme can often last over a year. I think my doctor wants me to continue with herbal treatment, but the antibiotics are covered by my insurance and the herbs are expensive so I'd like to continue taking both since I'm not sure if the herbs will be enough.

The herbs can definitely be enough and you can keep on them very cheaply using the Buhner or Cowden protocol, Nutrimedix even offers a financial assistance program. Yes treatment often takes much longer but it doesn't have to include high dose antibiotics the entire time for that. In fact you do not want to take them for too long or in higher doses. Bactericidal antibiotics have been linked to mitochondrial damage and dysfunction. It's not exactly something you want to stress the mitochondria with too long on top of the Lyme disease.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3760005/

GONZ0hunter

This is very interesting. I have a ball of pain in between my shoulder blades. It is always their but gets worse. In my case it is myofacial pain. This happens when muscles are like a Charlie horse. My pain dr can feel the knots.

For me, getting novicaine and steroids injected into the knots helps. My pain dr does this monthly

He also sent me to a physical therapist. Tbh i resisted for a long time thinking it was going to be forcing me to work out. They made me do it the first time but after that we did other things that help. We did traction where they manually pull my head. It helped a lot.

They would then do dry needling, it's like acupuncture but with science. Then they would run electricity through it. This helped somewhat.

Finally we would Kinseo tape my back in a giant x. The goal is to pull the shoulders back and restore posture.

Ife tried topical pain medicine with a special compound that helped somewhat.

This worked for me but ymmv