• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blurry Vision

Gondwanaland

Vitamin A helps vision, but if the problem is caused by neurotransmitter breakdown then one needs to lower its byproducts (ammonia, peroxynitrite, catecholamines). It can also be due to byproducts from the gut flora.

I am in search for the right supplement to deal with dimmed vision at dusk.

Revel

@acrosstheveil, by 'blurry vision' do you mean that the outline of objects that you are viewing is not as sharp as it should be and feels slightly out of focus?

I have dreadful eyesight and wear glasses. Some days my vision is sharp and other days, quite 'fuzzy around the edges'. I realised that this coincided with how I was doing physically. If I have overdone it and have muscle pain or am having all over PEM, my eyesight is much worse.

My ME affects all of my muscles, not just skeletal but gut, heart etc. Don't forget that your eyes use tiny muscles when focussing. If you are having even minor issues with other muscles in your body at the same time that you are experiencing blurry vision, it may be worth considering that your eyes could also be having similar problems with fatigue and are simply not working as effectively as they usually do when you are in a better state of health.

I never have my eyes tested when I am feeling bad in case it skews the results and the optician prescribes lenses that would be too strong for me when I am having a good day.

Just my crackpot theory, of course, for what it's worth o_O!

Last edited:

acrosstheveil

yea, things seem out of focus. It's gotten worse since I've been on pain meds.

you might be on to something Revel. All my joints and muscles have been sooo sore lately. way more extreme than usual. Don't know what's going on .

I know I'm not going to be "cured" of this anytime soon, but my vision is important to me and I'd like to get my eyes as healthy as possible at the very least.

acrosstheveil

i used to take cod liver oil. that contains vitamin a and d and now that i think of it, my vision seemed much better when I was taking that. I'll have to order some next time I do a big supplement order.

acrosstheveil

Vitamin A helps vision, but if the problem is caused by neurotransmitter breakdown then one needs to lower its byproducts (ammonia, peroxynitrite, catecholamines). It can also be due to byproducts from the gut flora.

I am in search for the right supplement to deal with dimmed vision at dusk.

how do you lower the byproducts of neurotransmitter breakdown?

also, i have been taking lots of probiotics lately. I have taken them for years but unfortunately I've never noticed any staggering results.

Gondwanaland

how do you lower the byproducts of neurotransmitter breakdown?
I use sodium bicarbonate foot soaks and also magnesium oxide helped me a lot when I was overwhelmed by this. The pain can also be from the excess byproducts / lactic acid. Transdermal bicarbonate helps a lot.

acrosstheveil

cool. I have been taking lots of magnesium oxide to help with constipation so hopefully it will help my vision too.

CantThink

Some days my vision is sharp and other days, quite 'fuzzy around the edges'. I realised that this coincided with how I was doing physically. If I have overdone it and have muscle pain or am having all over PEM, my eyesight is much worse.

My ME affects all of my muscles, not just skeletal but gut, heart etc. Don't forget that your eyes use tiny muscles when focussing. If you are having even minor issues with other muscles in your body at the same time that you are experiencing blurry vision, it may be worth considering that your eyes could also be having similar problems with fatigue and are simply not working as effectively as they usually do when you are in a better state of health.

That's what an optician told me when I was asking about it during my eye exam. :thumbsup: She saud that added fatigue/PEM means the eye muscles don't work as well because they are also fatigued so to speak, and that she'd seen this in other PWME.

I have astigmatism and this affects my focus too - my glasses help that and short sight - but I also noticed my vision is worse when I'm generally worse so it made sense to me.

My parents take this:

http://www.naturesbest.co.uk/mobile/eyewise-p552/

Typically per tablet

Lutein 10mg
Zeaxanthin 400mcg
Bilberry 200mg
Grapeseed 500mg

Not sure if it's any good.