• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nuerontin giving me ringing ears.

Folk

I started neurontin a couple weeks ago at 300mg. Since then I notice some ringnig in my ears bothering me.

I went up to 600 and then to 900. The ringing got worse each dose.

Now it's been week 3 since the first 300mg... I wonder can the ringing still go away or no?

It helped a lot with the pain (specially the allodynia) and I was planning to get on a much higher dose... but it's hard to stand this ringing.
Or, if I change to Lyrica, could it help as much with the pain and have no ringing?

Any thoughts on that?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
When I started Neurontin in the late 90's I started at 800 mgs and went up 400 mgs per day until I was at 3200 mgs. This was over the course of a few days. I was wasted the entire time.! I can't remember if I had tininitis but it works on the brain so it's possible that it is causing this.

Once your brain gets used to the drug it might stop, that's what happened with me.

It doesn't mater how I felt, only you can decide how much you can tolerate.

Wayne

Any thoughts on that?

@Folk, sorry to hear you're experiencing tinnitus. My understanding is that tinnitus originates in the brain. I think it's always best to approach any kind of modality very cautiously, and it seems your experience is telling you Neurontin may be adversely affecting your brain. I myself would be concerned whether this tinnitus is only temporary, and whether it might be best to pull back from this experiment--at least for now. I've heard of other pwCFS who have done very poorly on Neurontin.

Folk

@Folk, sorry to hear you're experiencing tinnitus. My understanding is that tinnitus originates in the brain. I think it's always best to approach any kind of modality very cautiously, and it seems your experience is telling you Neurontin may be adversely affecting your brain. I myself would be concerned whether this tinnitus is only temporary, and whether it might be best to pull back from this experiment--at least for now. I've heard of other pwCFS who have done very poorly on Neurontin.
I think it is temporary.

I tried to start a few months ago, for 2 weeks. Went only up to 600 and had tinnitus too. I had to stop all medications because my liver enzimes went pretty high ( it was zolpiden's fault after all) and the tinnitus stoped, now I started again and the tinnitus started again. Strangely it's only in the left ear :|