• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help with understanding Homozygous COMT and MAO please

I have COMT V158M and MAO-A R297R Homozygous +/+
Along with C677T and A1298C - Hetrozygous - +/-

From what I understand is I don't breakdown neurotransmitters very well - "COMT and MAO are slow functioning".

I started supplementing with (Methyl Folate, 400 mcg) and both methyl B12 and Active B12 Dibencozide about 4-5 months ago for the MTHFR mutations (I haven't found any noticeable difference day to day).

I have periodic limb movements at night (PLMD) and I'm "wired and tired" all the time.
I'm trying to fix my sleep as I feel this is one of the keys to everything else, from my research this could be low dopamine and/or inflammation.

I have supplemented 5-htp 100mg and got quite a rush of feel good, didn't really help with sleep though.
I've also supplemented 1000mg of GABA and that really chilled my legs out overnight but I still felt quite wired.
I was about to try L-Dopa (as it has had good success with treating PLMD) but then I read up about dopamine in excess is actually causing problems in the brain. Short term fix but the cost of long term damage.

I recently watched a video describing high amounts of dopamine can get funneled into a toxic pathway, I kind of agree with this in the way I feel, also I feel my serotonin levels are low/not balanced. (This is a gut feeling I have based on what I understand).

1. Has anyone had any success treating these mutations, please share?
  2. I have the feeling I'm very low in these neurotransmitters, I would have thought I would have been high due to excess floating around?
  3. I've heard St Johns Wart is helpful for the COMT and MAO mutation.
  4. Is there anything else I can do to help support the COMT & MAO mutations?

Thanks.

ahmo

@digi As you can see in my sig, I have similarities with you: MAO++, and COMT, MTHFR +/-. Once I got theraputic doses of MB12, MFolate and the other co-factors, my neurological issues cleared, including life-long insomnia. It took me a long time to be brave enough to increase my doses, and I'm aware some people have problems with higher doses. But once I better understood my symptoms as low folate, and then started increasing folate by 100-200mcg every day or 2, and the MB12 as I needed to balance, I became a new person.

In my sig you'll find a simplified short guide to Freddd's Protocol, and the 2nd, a compilation of Freddd's comments re the different aspects of the elements and progressing.

Thanks @ahmo, I'm currently on 400mg of M-folate and I haven't noticed much. After reading through your notes it states going up to 800mg over the course of the day so I might give that a go.
What were the therapeutic doses for you?

ahmo

I went up to 30mg before I figured out that vegetable folate (folinic) was blocking the methylfolate. Once I stopped the veggies, I needed 15mg folate. And then I learned that sublingual doses can lessen the amount needed. For me, that meant 2/3 less. I've been on 5 mg in 3 divided doses, emptying a 5mg capsule into my gum for 6-9 months. I've just had to add 200mcg because it seems my new MB12 liquid that I'm using as DIY transdermal is stronger than the former liquid. After I started this new Bluebonnet liquid, I started having hair loos for a couple days. I added the extra 200mcg, and the hair loss stopped.

Ah, there's also folate in my B Comp, so my total is 5.6mg. So much happier to be paying for this dose than the high dose! And my system seems to have stabilized. 5mg MB12 transdermal ( was using 20mg sublingual), 40mg AdB12 once a week, instead of the MB12, and L- Carnitine Fumarate, 2-3 caps 880mg Dr.s
Best, which yield 500mg (that is, I'm getting 1-1.5gm LCF).

Look at my profile below. I am very similar to you digi. I am compound hetero for MTHFR and +/+ for MAO and COMT. I am very familiar with the wired but tired feeling. I have been working on my methylation for 9+ months. With methylfolate (and any form of B12) it was like climbing a hill, peaking at 3 hours and then sliding down with massive GABA release for an hour...then dose again between hours 4-6. Constantly chasing that peak. It was exhausting!

The paradox with ME/CFS and homozygous SNPs for MAO and COMT, is that we desperately need METHYLfolate and METHYL b12, but we do not tolerate pharmacologic doses of METHYL groups. I have tried all different doses of methylfolate and B12. Out of desperation I tried green shakes in the morning, trying to get enough folate via diet. Eating massive amounts of salad and broccoli at different times of the day. It was not enough for me.

I am now using 800mg folinic acid with 3-5 mg adeno B12 first thing in the morning. The folinic gives me a peak at 3hrs (similar to the methylfolate) then sustained GABA release through the day, trailing off at 10-12 hours. This allows me to be functional for most of the day. I also sleep 6-9 hours at night. I still am sore in the mornings, but it is not nearly as bad as the rigor mortis like muscles I have had in the past.

I use 20 mg of Lithium orotate in the morning for my MTRR. I also use approx 250mg of magnesium malate twice a day, for the COMT. 2 tabs of Seeking Health Optimal Start for the P5P (B6 - for making GABA and glutathione) and R5P (Riboflavin - for energy and MAO) + it has all other vitamins and minerals. I also use Seeking Health Optimal PC mid morning, but this is for my PEMT +/+. The PC also stimulates the BHMT shortcut. I still cannot workout and have post exercise fatigue. I am thinking of adding a small bit of TMG and maybe a little more adeno B12 in late afternoon. I am hoping that this will allow me to build up to more strenuous exercise.

If you are waking up in the middle of the night and cannot go back to sleep, you might want to try 2mg of hydroxo B12 or 20+mg of P5P. If this relaxes you or puts you back to sleep, then you are are waking up due to overmethylation. It took me a long time to figure this out....my B12 was wearing off around 3am, stopping my methylation cycle.

With +/+ COMT and MAO, you need small frequent doses of methylfolate OR a slow release folate (like folic or folinic acid). Some people may tolerate small doses of all. Hope this helps!!!

Last edited: