• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heterozygous for A1298C and methylcobalamin

daniariete2000

Hi,

I read this interesting blog http://drfairchild.blogspot.it/2013/10/mthfr.html?m=1 and my attention was on that point:

"
MTHFR 677 measures:
Avoid folic acid. Use L methylfolate (metafolin) or folinic acid instead, N acetyl cysteine, SAMe, and B12 (methylcobalamin or hydroxocobalamin or adenosylcobalamin).
Methylfolate is best absorbed on an empty stomach. Use only the L form and avoid the D form.
Consider eliminating gluten and dairy.

MTHFR 1298 measures:
BH4 levels can be best increased by 5-methyltetrahydrofolate (5-MTHF) and vitamin C (ascorbic acid). 5-MTHF helps scavenge peroxynitrite (ONOO) and increases vascular BH4 and BH4/total biopterin ratio.
Supplementation of magnesium, copper, vitamin B6, SAMe, B12 (as hydroxocobalamin), vitamin A, a-ketoglutaric acid, tyrosine and 5HTP may also be helpful.
Other helpful measures may include eating a lower protein diet (as ammonia depletes BH4), limiting L-phenylalanine intake.

Those who are compound heterozygous can combine helpful measures for both MTHFR 677 and 1298. "

My question is :

Since I'm Heterozygous for A1298C , why I should avoid methylcobalamin ?

Thanks

Daniele

Gondwanaland

Since I'm Heterozygous for A1298C , why I should avoid methylcobalamin ?
There will be too much serotonin to be degraded, increasing ammonia and depleting BH4
An approach like caledonia's "Start low and go slow" (linked in my signature "Freddd's protocol") is more indicated in that case