• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

This Week in Virology on Lipkin/Hornig CFS study

http://www.twiv.tv/2015/03/22/twiv-329/

They mention:

-need to compare CFS patients to ill-health controls rather than healthy controls, in case this is a marker for generalised ill health/strain/similar.

-likelihood of subgroups and need to try to identify them.

-wonder how people's cytokine patterns vary over time?

Go on to mention the poor Lancet editorial on IOM/SEID and talks about PACE and Cochrane claiming unblinded trials show that patients should try exercising (no real engagement with this - think that they may have assumed that this was trustworthy).

Sounded like Vincent's son could have something CFS-like - hope not/get well soon!

Last edited:

Dolphin

Sounded like Vincent's son could have something CFS-like - hope not/get well soon!
Vincent was (and may still is?) part of the CAA/SMCI scientific and research advisory board/similar so maybe that was why they could get him to take on such (voluntary) work?

Vincent was (and may still is?) part of the CAA/SMCI scientific and research advisory board/similar so maybe that was why they could get him to take on such (voluntary) work?

It sounded like he was no longer on their advisory board, and that maybe that pre-dated his son's illness?

Dolphin

Dolphin said:
It sounded like he was no longer on their advisory board, and that maybe that pre-dated his son's illness?
Ok, my guess could be wrong then.

Simon

http://www.twiv.tv/2015/03/22/twiv-329/

They mention:

-need to compare CFS patients to ill-health controls rather than healthy controls, in case this is a marker for generalised ill health/strain/similar.
Thanks. It's worth noting that the summary of the paper (from the person who asked the panel to discuss this) wasn't quite right in one regard: the paper itself doesn't claim biomarkers (though there was some hype along those lines in the press release). When I spoke to Dr Mady Hornig she was well aware they need to do more work to prove a biomarker, which includes replication and comparing with sick controls, not just healthies: she said they are keen to do this and just need the funds...
A biomarker – and a unique opportunity for treatment?
A biomarker has long been a ‘Holy Grail’ of ME/CFS research. Is the cytokine signature found in this study for early patients finally ‘it’, a test that will say “yes, you have ME/CFS”? And can it help researchers be sure they are studying people with the same illness?

Not yet. First, the findings need confirmation in other studies. In addition, the pattern of cytokine changes needs to be compared with those from other fatiguing illnesses, like multiple sclerosis or even unknown causes of fatigue.

Doctors can usually tell ME/CFS patients from the healthy. It’s separating these patients from those with other illnesses that’s so important. Hornig is eager to do the biomarker research that would take the study from the lab to the clinic. All they need is the funding.

-wonder how people's cytokine patterns vary over time?
It's a great point - there is no data on how cytokines fluctuate over time in healthy people.

Columbia (Mady Hornig and co) already have a study underway with 50 patients (I think) where they go back one year on to see if cytokines chance in individuals the way their study predicts. For some patients they have data at three time points, each a year apart. So that should help show if the findings in the recent cross-sectional study actually pan out for individual patients over time.

aimossy

They also noted that Michael (insert last name) paper from Stanford @Simon the genetics guy? The researcher who followed his own system for 14months or something. Watched what his system did when sick with illness.

Simon

Gemini

Dr. Snyder's self-study is on-going, 3+years. Vincent was incorrect when he said it lasted 1 year.

Interestingly it has been expanded to track cytokines, the autoantibody-ome, & microbiome among other things.

He's tracking molecular pathways activated during the host's response to infection. He's experienced 4 to date, one triggered his genetic predisposition to diabetes.

Last Fall Dr. Snyder gave this one-hour review of "Genetics & Medicine." An update of his study starts at 28:35:

Ecoclimber

March 22, 2015

Wash-Your-Hands-202x300.jpg

http://traffic.libsyn.com/twiv/TWiV329.mp3

Hosts: Vincent Racaniello, Dickson Despommier, Alan Dove, Rich Condit, and Kathy Spindler

The TWiV team reviews identification of immune biomarkers in CFS/ME patients, and how a cell nuclease controls the innate immune response to vaccinia virus infection.

Click arrow to play
Download TWiV 329 (79 MB .mp3, 110 min)
Subscribe (free): iTunes, RSS, email

Links for this episode
Timestamps by Jennifer. Thank you!

Vincent Racaniello states that his son and believes that it could be ME/CFS. His wife is a psychiatrist who is trying to find the reason for the illness.....interesting.

Last edited:

Ecoclimber

Ok, I did a search on the title and came up empty so mods can delete this duplicate thread.Thx

Simon