• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Testosterone supplement?

deleder2k

I am borderline on testosterone. Is there any supplement at all that actually increase serum testosterone, or are they all quack? Tried searching around on PubMed, but I couldn't find much.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
look up low dose clomid and nolvadex.
If your E2 is high normal using a low dose arimidex can increase free testosterone.
Basically everything above is in some way blocking estrogen which sends signals to the brains in men to make more testosterone.

I really dont think alot of natural things will do a great deal, could be wrong?

svetoslav80

I just read about this herb yesterday - Tribulus terrestris. It's controversial if it helps but you can try it a few months. I haven't tried it yet but I think I will.

Aurator

I just read about this herb yesterday - Tribulus terrestris. It's controversial if it helps but you can try it a few months. I haven't tried it yet but I think I will.
I've tried it. It didn't make any noticeable difference.

I went through a phase of trying lots of different things, partly to silence the well-meaning friends and relatives who kept saying "But have you tried X?" Now I just eat a balanced diet and avoid wheat (an avoidance that does seem to have brought major enterological improvements.)
There certainly are things out there that give varying relief to different people, but given the unproven success, from a curative standpoint, of everything people have tried so far I'd be prepared to bet that this illness isn't curable by changes in diet or the taking of dietary supplements, just as it isn't curable by changes in behaviour or attitude. It seems to need stronger medicine.

drob31

Examine.com has a testosterone boosting stack:

Dehydroepiandrosterone
Vitamin D
Zinc
Fenugreek

http://examine.com/stacks/increasing-testosterone

Of course DHEA converts to estrogen at a higher rate in men, than it does to testosterone, so you'd want an AI -- aromatase inhibitor to counter act that. Also estrogen antagonists such as DIM or I3C could be useful.

Another supplement which may or may not be a good idea but that has allot of evidence backing it is DAA (D-aspartic acid). It only seems to work for 3-4 weeks at a time, so you'd have to cycle it. Also some are concered with its effects on glutamate (I think).

drob31

If your E2 is high normal using a low dose arimidex can increase free testosterone.
Basically everything above is in some way blocking estrogen which sends signals to the brains in men to make more testosterone.

I really dont think alot of natural things will do a great deal, could be wrong?

I'm kind of afraid of SERMS because I'm suspicious they trigger autoimmune conditions.

deleder2k

I've tried Zinc and Vitamin D with no effect. Sounds like there are a lot of testobabble out there. ZMA does not work, even though marketers says that it does. Are there any good studies that show an increase in testo? I don't want to maintain my level, I want it up. The only thing that I believe in is pure testosterone or GnRH.

deleder2k

Read this here:
Fenugreek is technically a testosterone booster. It contains 5-alpha reductase inhibitors, which prevent testosterone from being turned into dihydrotestosterone (DHT). This results in:

1. A relative increase in testosterone
  2. A decrease in DHT, which is thought to lower libido

Not sure if I want to mess up libido. Tried to look up Fenugreek and testosterone on PubMed but I didn't find anything.

Martial

You should also look into avoiding any xenoestrogenic things in your enviroment, water bottles, plastic tubberware, plastic packaged foods, etc... Japanese Knotweed/Resveratrol helps to prevent aromatization of testosterone. There are herbs like Horny Goatweed, Tribulas, Fenugreek, and Bulbine Natalensis but just because they are natural doesn't mean they are without side effects. There are also pharmaceutical aromatase inhibitor's but they carry some pretty severe side effects if you are not careful.

*GG*

My Dr has me on Clomid (clomiphene citrate) for low T.

I take 25 mg, 2xs per week, was initially prescribed at 3/week. But it made me break out to much :)

GG

Kenshin

The best natural T booster is pine pollen, its safe and as an "adaptogenic herb" will balance your endocrine system, unlike the synthetic treatments.
Use a tincture for best results, eating the pollen raw is a good general supplement but the tincture is what you want for the androgenic benefits.
Horny goatweed and tribulas are gimmiks compared to pine pollen.

amaru7

Yet again, we had this discussion on HGH and the same goes for T. Unfortunately supplements are very weak and no way near as good as the replacement therapy. @deleder2k Do you have any severe low T symptoms like impotence? If not don't consider throwing more money out, but if you do, you can try TRT, which does have side effects, like shrunken testicles due to endogenous supression and infertility (not good if you want to have kids)

deleder2k

Yet again, we had this discussion on HGH and the same goes for T. Unfortunately supplements are very weak and no way near as good as the replacement therapy. @deleder2k Do you have any severe low T symptoms like impotence? If not don't consider throwing more money out, but if you do, you can try TRT, which does have side effects, like shrunken testicles due to endogenous supression and infertility (not good if you want to have kids)

What happens if one stop using TRT? Will infertility be an issue then?

@Kenshin, any sources on that?

amaru7

What happens if one stop using TRT? Will infertility be an issue then?
in some cases yes, the htpa doesn't get back the testicular full function, which leaves you hypogonad/sub-infertile.

Why do you want to increase your T in the first place? What are you hoping to achieve?

deleder2k

in some cases yes, the htpa doesn't get back the testicular full function, which leaves you hypogonad/sub-infertile.

Why do you want to increase your T in the first place? What are you hoping to achieve?

I spoke to a andrologist which said that T could be good in autoimmune diseases. He said that since I am having trouble getting up the stairs T could work out since it increases strength. He also said that T helps with the endothelial function which some believe to be a key factor in this illness. Too bad no supplement can increase T

amaru7

@deleder2k Well, there is zinc, it is essential for T production, you might try it out again in another form/dosage.
IMHO the most effective supplement in terms of T increase and reducing estrogen/copper overload.

btw, is that you on the avatar? Where are you originally from?

deleder2k

Tried out 50mg zinc daily for 6 months. That is actually a lot. I think no studies have shown an increase in T after zinc intake, unless T was really low at baseline.

amaru7

Oh nevermind, I see this is Tarkan on your avatar, so I guess ur turkish, hallahalla... :)
I'm too low on energy right now to look for proof, but it's all over there. Zinc deficiency is not good for fertility and testosterone. If you test your zinc, you'll know if supplementation will help you improve the values.