• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Discovery on microbiome bacteria that decrease inflammation and regulate immune response

Antares in NYC

Pretty amazing article on the discovery of the function of F. prausnitzii and clostridial clusters found in the gut microbiome that are directly linked to inflammation and the regulation of human immune response. The article suggests these specific bugs may help treat and control Chron's and other auto-immune conditions.
Great read:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/among-trillions-of-microbes-in-the-gut-a-few-are-special
Among Trillions of Microbes in the Gut, a Few Are Special
Amid the trillions of microbes that live in the intestines, scientists have found a few species that seem to play a key role in keeping us healthy

In the mid-2000s Harry Sokol, a gastroenterologist at Saint Antoine Hospital in Paris, was surprised by what he found when he ran some laboratory tests on tissue samples from his patients with Crohn's disease, a chronic inflammatory disorder of the gut. The exact cause of inflammatory bowel disease remains a mystery. Some have argued that it results from a hidden infection; others suspect a proliferation of certain bacteria among the trillions of microbes that inhabit the human gut. But when Sokol did a comparative DNA analysis of diseased sections of intestine surgically removed from the patients, he observed a relative depletion of just one common bacterium, Faecalibacterium prausnitzii. Rather than “bad” microbes prompting disease, he wondered, could a single “good” microbe prevent disease?

Sokol transferred the bacterium to mice and found it protected them against experimentally induced intestinal inflammation. And when he subsequently mixed F. prausnitzii with human immune cells in a test tube, he noted a strong anti-inflammatory response. Sokol seemed to have identified a powerfully anti-inflammatory member of the human microbiota.

Each of us harbors a teeming ecosystem of microbes that outnumbers the total number of cells in the human body by a factor of 10 to one and whose collective genome is at least 150 times larger than our own. In 2012 the National Institutes of Health completed the first phase of the Human Microbiome Project, a multimillion-dollar effort to catalogue and understand the microbes that inhabit our bodies. The microbiome varies dramatically from one individual to the next and can change quickly over time in a single individual. The great majority of the microbes live in the gut, particularly the large intestine, which serves as an anaerobic digestion chamber. Scientists are still in the early stages of exploring the gut microbiome, but a burgeoning body of research suggests that the makeup of this complex microbial ecosystem is closely linked with our immune function. Some researchers now suspect that, aside from protecting us from infection, one of the immune system's jobs is to cultivate, or “farm,” the friendly microbes that we rely on to keep us healthy. This “farming” goes both ways, though. Our resident microbes seem to control aspects of our immune function in a way that suggests they are farming us, too.

Independent researchers around the world have identified a select group of microbes that seem important for gut health and a balanced immune system. They belong to several clustered branches of the clostridial group. Dubbed “clostridial clusters,” these microbes are distantly related to Clostridium difficile, a scourge of hospitals and an all too frequent cause of death by diarrhea. But where C. difficile prompts endless inflammation, bleeding and potentially catastrophic loss of fluids, the clostridial clusters do just the opposite—they keep the gut barrier tight and healthy, and they soothe the immune system. Scientists are now exploring whether these microbes can be used to treat a bevy of the autoimmune, allergic and inflammatory disorders that have increased in recent decades, including Crohn's and maybe even obesity.
(...)
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/among-trillions-of-microbes-in-the-gut-a-few-are-special

I read this entire article earlier and found it fascinating. I have a lot of gut issues with my ME/CFS. I find this whole subject very interesting. After reading the article I'm wondering if it would be beneficial for me to increase my soluble fiber in my diet as it sounds like it feeds some of the beneficial bacteria. Of course that's assuming I have some of the beneficial bacteria in my gut to feed.

snowathlete

Very interesting. I took antibiotics for acne from age 13 to 25 and then again periodically for another 5 years. I always wonder what that did to my gut flora.
Why not test with uBiome or American Gut and find out?
My uBiome test showed 20% F. prausnitzii so not sure what to make of this. I have another more recent test outstanding.

Gamboa

My uBiome test showed 20% F. prausnitzii so not sure what to make of this. I have another more recent test outstanding.
I could do that but would end up in the same boat as you: " not sure what to make of this". I'm not sure at this point if knowing the identity of my gut flora will help if we don't know what they do or don't do. I will definitely do it once some of the upcoming studies, such as Dr. Lipkin's, are out and we perhaps know a bit more.

Having said that, of course now I am curious. How reliable are these tests at this point in time? What are the costs?

adreno

PR activist
A few of us have started experimenting with clostridium butyricum, which is used in Japan to prevent c. Difficile infections. It's too early to speak of any effects, though.

Resistant starch is essential for feeding Clostridia species, and several of us are experimenting with this, as well as other fibers, too.

Last edited:

Debbie23

Very interesting. I took antibiotics for acne from age 13 to 25 and then again periodically for another 5 years. I always wonder what that did to my gut flora.

I'm on a long term antibiotic now for acne and to prevent recurrent boils. I've been on different ones for a long time, I often worry if it could be messing up my gut but if I stop taking it my skin kind of 'explodes'. :(

snowathlete

I could do that but would end up in the same boat as you: " not sure what to make of this". I'm not sure at this point if knowing the identity of my gut flora will help if we don't know what they do or don't do. I will definitely do it once some of the upcoming studies, such as Dr. Lipkin's, are out and we perhaps know a bit more.

Having said that, of course now I am curious. How reliable are these tests at this point in time? What are the costs?

Some things are easier to interpret than others, some have been researched a lot and others less so. In my case, 9 months of antibiotics almost entirely destroyed some genus of bacteria, and I am working on improving that. My abx resulted in me getting ulcerative coltis as well and I am slowly coming out of my second flare at the moment, thankfully, by taking a good probiotic. Not many on the market else there are a bunch of others that I'd love to take.

How reliable are they? Hard to say for sure to be honest. From what I've seen of other people's results, uBiome look better than Agut. But I have only just sent my second sample in myself. I have an idea of what it should show, but we'll see.

It is pretty cheap for what it is, in my opinion. $89 with uBiome. Not sure on price of Agut but similar. uBiome also sometimes have sales like BOGOF (they did around christmas) and I think I got a 10% off voucher the other day in my email, if anyone is interested.

Gondwanaland

I'm on a long term antibiotic now for acne and to prevent recurrent boils. I've been on different ones for a long time, I often worry if it could be messing up my gut but if I stop taking it my skin kind of 'explodes'. :(
My face was just llike that for several years: http://deliciouslyorganic.net/reverse-hashimotos-thyroid-disease/
and got worse after I began a whole grain diet. I was on accutane for a while, it helped for some time and then came all back. When I went gluten free (and consequently folic acid free as well) my face improved at least 70%. Then after a short course of Flagyl in September 2013 it went away and didn't come back.

Debbie23

My face was just llike that for several years: http://deliciouslyorganic.net/reverse-hashimotos-thyroid-disease/
and got worse after I began a whole grain diet. I was on accutane for a while, it helped for some time and then came all back. When I went gluten free (and consequently folic acid free as well) my face improved at least 70%. Then after a short course of Flagyl in September 2013 it went away and didn't come back.
That's very interesting, thank you.

jepps

My latest Ubiome result also shows high F. prausnitzii: 17594 Faecalibacterium (2.55%) and 16645 F. prausnitzii (2.4 %), so together 5 %.The last test 33 in Mai showed only 33 Faecalib (0,002%)., and 8 F.prausnitzii (0,0005%).

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Is it possible to buy F prausnitzi as a probiotic supplement?
The problem is, a lot of these bacteria are just not currently available in probiotic form. In the case of F. prausnitzii, since it dies when it comes in contact with oxygen, there will probably never be a probiotic made anyway. However, it does sounds like there are other strategies that can be employed to help increase it's numbers...
Where Do I Get That Beneficial Gut Bacteria?

The typical bacteria added to yogurts or sold as supplements are able to survive when exposed to air (oxygen). However, F. prausnitzii are "oxygen sensitive" and they die within minutes upon exposure to air. Researchers view this beneficial bacteria as a "probiotic of the future" and currently there is research going on to figure out ways it can be easily stored and be exposed to air a few hours and not die. So currently there is NO way to take a probiotic F. prausnitzii supplement. So what else can one do?

After reviewing the scientific literature, it seems that the current ways to get F. prausnitziiinto the gut or increase its numbers are: fecal microbiota transplant or FMT (currently only done with desperately ill individuals), drastically restricting calories for one week by obese individuals increases beneficial bacteria, and making changes to the diet. For example, a high animal meat, high animal fat, high sugar, highly processed foods, and low fiber diet (the typical westernized diet) lowers F. prausnitzii numbers, while a high-fiber, low meat diet increases F. prausnitzii numbers.

Repeat: the number one thing a person can do to increase numbers of F. prausnitzii is to increase fiber in the diet. By the way, increasing dietary fiber increases butyrate, and butyrate is involved with colon health, is anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer . See, it's all related. By high fiber is meant: whole grains, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, and legumes. Eat a varied plant-based diet, which means lots of plant based foods. It seems that Michael Pollan's emphasis on "Eat real foods. Mostly plants. Not too much." is just right. And variety seems important - with different types of fiber feeding different bacteria. While F. prausnitzii may be an important beneficial bacteria in the gut, it is not the only beneficial one. So a food labeled "with added fiber" may not be the right fiber for bacteria, This is even true for enteral formula supplementation, for example one formula containing fiber used pea fiber and this did not feed the F. prausnitzii. Association between Faecalibacterium prausnitzii and dietary fibre in colonic fermentation in healthy human subjects

Last edited: