• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Genetic Markers for PTSD Linked to Immune System Response

Wayne

I've long thought that many pwCFS (including myself) are likely dealing with some degree of PTSD. This report connecting immune system regulation with PTSD seems to support that thesis.
Researchers have identified genetic markers associated with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) that are linked with regulating the immune system, Medical News Today reported. This finding may lead to the ability to identify individuals at risk of PTSD.

Genetic Markers for PTSD Linked to Immune System Response

ahmo

When I was at my worst, with overwhelming neurological symptoms, I was triggered by everything in my environment. My life wasn't a utopia, there were stressful aspects to my childhood, but there was no specific traumatic event. I definitely reacted to my world as if I had PTSD. I think it was this that convinced the examining psychologist to grant my appeal for disability. Since my nervous system, as well as inflammatory system, have calmed during the past 3 years, I'm no longer experiencing this.

Gemini

Thanks for posting this interesting article @Wayne!

Interferon has long been studied re: ME/CFS, early researchers feeling high levels caused many of the symptoms.

Fast forward to Dr. Kerr's genetic study where Interferon genes topped the list.

RA research now suggests Interferon gene expression signatures can predict response to Rituxan.

@ahmo I wonder if high interferon levels caused the feelings of PTSD you describe?

student

Yes, these BH4-genetics (here TPH-2) and neurotransmitter (comt) disorders can lead to depression. I was hoping to see more details…

Appart from this understanding, we do look for a much broder spectrum: In 1. methylation (cbs), the 2. Folate (MT‘s / mtRR), 3. Neurotransmitters (BH4, comt / UGT), 4. Cortisol pathway (NR3) and others perhabs at 5. Amonium, and verry verry crucial 6. Glutathion (GST) and Nitrox (with SOD2) for cleaning up. Perhabs later 7. can be relevant for psycho-medications - Cytochrom (Cyp). All these disorders in your snp’s can trap @CFS.

See: Schnakenberg E. humangenetics, biologie. Genetsches Muster bei CFS, notwendige Untersuchungen. CFSme Forum german. Zeitschrift fatigo 2014. 36: page 16.

And some of us would not have dared to join healthy mariens @Wayne 's studie.

Last edited: