• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stopping supplements before a methylation test?

PeterPositive

Hello,
last year around this time I did the ELN (European Labs for Nutrients) methylation panel. In order to prepare for it I stopped all supplements 5 days before drawing the blood, as recommended.

The test came back with the usual pattern found in Rich VanK studies... low GSH, low SAM, high SAH, bad SAM/SAH ratio. In other words methylation is working poorly.

Now I am about to do it again, but I wonder if it makes any sense to stop the supplements again. If I do, chances are I will not get a clear picture of what the current therapy is doing.

Given that most water-soluble vitamins get out of the system pretty quickly I am assuming that continuing the supplementation is the best way to see how much it is helping.

Am I wrong? Thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I think your idea is good.

I have heard an expert recommend "before and after" testing for Nutraeval / OAT type tests. Taking one test off all supplements, then taking another on your usual methylation supplements to assess the effectiveness and see if anything is still missing.

xrunner

Thoughts?
I'd follow the lab recommendations.
If they suggest to halt five days before there must be a valid reason for that. Personally, also considering the costs of the test, I wouldn't want to do anything that may even remotely affect the results...
If you've been on a methylation protocol for a year, a stop of five days won't change the overall picture, it isn't material, enough to reverse all the cellular improvements that should have occurred over a year.
Best wishes.