• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brain white matter abnormalities in female interstitial cystitis/bladder pain syndrome: A MAPP Netwo

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Just stumbled on this J Urol. 2015 Feb 21 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25711200 :
RESULTS:
Women with IC/BPS exhibited numerous white matter abnormalities that correlated with severity of pain, urinary symptoms, and impaired quality of life.
CONCLUSIONS:
The first characterization of brain white matter abnormalities in women with IC/BPS reveals that regional decreases and increases in white matter integrity, across multiple axonal tracts, are associated with symptom severity in IC/BPS. Given that white matter abnormalities closely correlate with hallmark symptoms of IC/BPS, including bladder pain and urinary symptoms, brain anatomical alterations suggest neuropathological contributions to chronic urological pelvic pain.

drob31

I wonder how much the white matter abnormalities have to do with poor circulation. Neuron's require 3 things to stay healthy: glucose, oxygen, and stimulation. I know allot of people have circulation issues, and circulation issues in the hands and feet usually mean there will be circulation issues in the brain in the form of hypoxia. Such the tissues are depleted of oxygen causing neurological issues such as this.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
I developed IC after alpha interferon treatment. Seems like it could be the cytokines in the CSF/brain that are causing the issue.

drob31

I developed IC after alpha interferon treatment. Seems like it could be the cytokines in the CSF/brain that are causing the issue.

Indeed, another factor would be a leaky blood brain barrier that allows macrophages entry into the brain to cause havoc.