• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Action alert: Fri 6 March: register on reddit to upvote Dr Mady Hornig to the front page & ask qns

Sasha

Fine, thank you
This is a HUGE opportunity to raise the profile of ME/CFS and to pull in donations for the Lipkin/Hornig microbiome study and raise general awareness of our disease.

Reddit is a very high-profile news website where the stories that make the front page are the ones that users have voted for.

People read reddit every day like a newspaper - it has enormous reach. Yesterday, nearly two million people were logged in.

Our very own Dr Mady Hornig is doing a Q&A on reddit at 1pm US Eastern Time. On reddit, that's called an 'AMA' (Ask Me Anything).

She's doing that here: http://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/2y4ph4/science_ama_series_im_professor_mady_hornig_at/

If a thread gets enough upvotes, it will land on the front page of reddit, and in the "all" section, which will expose the story to millions more readers.

We can take advantage of this reddit event in two ways. Both require you to register on reddit, which took me 10 seconds just now, and doesn't require your email address.

The AMA will appear from 8am on Friday morning and you'll be able to start posting questions and voting then.

(1) When the AMA appears, vote it up! That will get it high up in the news on reddit so that more people will see it.

The link is now live - please vote now!

And upvote any good questions!

(2) Ask a question! If you can work the donation link in, great. It's: http://www.bit.ly/DonateToDrLipkin

If you struggle to get the hang of reddit (or think you might) and can't figure out how to post a question, post your question on the main PR thread about this event, which is here, and someone will try to post it for you (no guarantees, though!).

You don't need to watch this but this video has a short explanation of reddit.

Please continue general discussion of the event on the main thread, here.

@Kina - I realise that there's already a thread about the reddit even but we need one that's a simple call to action for people. Hope that's OK! :)

Last edited:

A.B.

An important rule for the science subreddit:

Offering medical advice is strictly enforced, and comments offering such will be removed. Engaging in discussion regarding the advantages and disadvantages of certain treatments/diets/supplements is allowed, provided the user links to accurate and relevant published sources.

In other words, if you want to criticize some therapies or approaches in one of your questions, be prepared to back your arguments up with links to other sources.

Valentijn

It looks like it probably opens for questions at around 8am EST, and if I understand correctly people can also start voting up questions then. And at 1pm EST, the live answer session starts?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Why upvoting the AMA is so important:

If a thread gets enough upvotes, it will land on the front page of reddit, and in the "best of" section, which will expose the story to millions more readers.

Good point, thank you - I've edited that into my post (and put it in red!).

Soundthealarm21

@Sasha

Looks pretty good. I'd like to make one correction. A thread doesn't end up in /r/bestof based on upvotes. That is a specific subreddit. The goal is for this thread to make it to the front page of /r/all which is a page people click on to see all subreddits at a given time. http://www.reddit.com/r/all

The likelihood of this making the front page before she starts answering questions is slim. A lot of AMAs don't end up on the front page until many many hours later, but that is not as much of a concern. If it gets there people will read it.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
@Sasha

Looks pretty good. I'd like to make one correction. A thread doesn't end up in /r/bestof based on upvotes. That is a specific subreddit. The goal is for this thread to make it to the front page of /r/all which is a page people click on to see all subreddits at a given time. http://www.reddit.com/r/all

My link was to get people to the page where the AMA will appear. Is there something special that people need to do to get it on the 'all' front page?

Sorry, I'm clueless about this! I'm trying to collate what people have posted about reddit into sensible instructions. Can you give me a form of words to cut and paste into my post that instructs people how to achieve what you're saying? Better than me trying to paraphrase you!

Soundthealarm21

My link was to get people to the page where the AMA will appear. Is there something special that people need to do to get it on the 'all' front page?

Sorry, I'm clueless about this! I'm trying to collate what people have posted about reddit into sensible instructions. Can you give me a form of words to cut and paste into my post that instructs people how to achieve what you're saying? Better than me trying to paraphrase you!

I'll try to explain as best I can:

/r/science is a specific subreddit on the site. It's is one of thousands of subreddits. When a post gets a lot of attention (positive upvotes/karma) it'll start moving up the list of posts. There is a subreddit that includes every post from every subreddit and is called /r/all. So the AMA will be in the /r/science subreddit, but if it gets popular enough it'll move higher up on /r/all.

For example: This is the front page of /r/all right now. The top post is a picture from the subreddit /r/pics. It had achieved enough upvotes to land on the front page.
Reddit all example 1.jpg

Reddit all example 2.jpg

I hope that helped explain it. Feel free to ask more questions if you need help!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thanks, @Soundthealarm21!

But have I said something wrong in my first post?

I've said:

If a thread gets enough upvotes, it will land on the front page of reddit, and in the "best of" section, which will expose the story to millions more readers.

[...]

(1) When the AMA appears, vote it up! That will get it high up in the news on reddit so that more people will see it.

I want to give people as little to read as possible, and instructions that are as simple as possible. If all they need to do is click on the thread to upvote it, and that will lead it to going up all these lists, I'd rather leave the instructions like that.

Soundthealarm21

Thanks, @Soundthealarm21!

But have I said something wrong in my first post?

I've said:

I want to give people as little to read as possible, and instructions that are as simple as possible. If all they need to do is click on the thread to upvote it, and that will lead it to going up all these lists, I'd rather leave the instructions like that.

Simply change the words "bestof" with "/r/all" lol. That's it.

oceiv

Thanks for this action thread and to @DanME and everyone who provided Reddit basics. 3 questions about Reddit:

1) I've been poking around the Science subreddit. It looks to me like upvoting the Hornig AMA will also help move it up the page within the science subreddit. The most upvoted thread within the science subreddit is at the top of the page, now. So, is it true that upvoting the thread can both help move it up the page within the science subreddit and help move it to the frontpage?

2) Will the Hornig AMA appear within a short window around 8 am (say 8-8:30) or can it appear anywhere up to 11 am? @Valentijn said it looks like it will open at 8. Can I see that info on the science subreddit now?

3) Who posts the AMA thread (Hornig? A science moderator?)

I've convinced someone to attend. As encouragement for others, she's describes herself as not very technical and thought it was super-easy to sign up for the site.

Soundthealarm21

Thanks for this action thread and to @DanME and everyone who provided Reddit basics. 3 questions about Reddit:

1) I've been poking around the Science subreddit. It looks to me like upvoting the Hornig AMA will also help move it up the page within the science subreddit. The most upvoted thread within the science subreddit is at the top of the page, now. So, is it true that upvoting the thread can both help move it up the page within the science subreddit and help move it to the frontpage?

2) Will the Hornig AMA appear within a short window around 8 am (say 8-8:30) or can it appear anywhere up to 11 am? @Valentijn said it looks like it will open at 8. Can I see that info on the science subreddit now?

3) Who posts the AMA thread (Hornig? A science moderator?)

I've convinced someone to attend. As encouragement for others, she's describes herself as not very technical and thought it was super-easy to sign up for the site.

1. There is a "front page" of the whole website (www.reddit.com/r/all) and a front page of each individual subreddit (in this case www.reddit.com/r/science). Upvotes will move it up each page.

2. The thread will appear at 8am, but the questions will not be answered until Hornig shows up which is said to be 1pm ET. That information appears in the sidebar on the front page of /r/science under the AMA section.

3. My guess is that a moderator of /r/science will create an account for Hornig and set up the thread, and Hornig will later use that account to answer questions.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Thanks for the information everyone, I just became a reddit user so I'm good to go. Am trying to get a bit comfortable with the format for tomorrow. Will be asking a question, but can't get on until a couple hours into the process. I'm going to ask if they will be able to re-submit their funding request to the NIH under SEID criteria.