• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do You Guys Know ANY Treatment For OCD?

Hi fellas,

I know this whole forum is for chronic fatigue syndromes but I really respect the people here on the forums and just how much knowledge they have. I thought I knew stuff about human science until I came here. I was wondering if you guys have information about treatment of OCD. I know my root cause of OCD is probably poor gut function or methylation (nuerotransmitter test came back with nearly all neurotransmitters being low plus low cortisol in the morning and low dhea) but I can't start treatment until I treat my OCD first. The reason why is that my OCD stops me from taking pills and things that will heal me. Get anxiety over it. Also, I don't want to take SSRIs or any mental practice because I am not fully behind the science of it but if you think otherwise, feel free to put down any suggestions. Furthermore, really just looking for supplements. Also wondering if anyone has done the expoctx rx protocol for gut function. Will make another thread out of this but eager to find out. Thanks!

Esther12

I don't have any knowledge to impart, but just wanted to send my best wishes.

I'd also be a bit wary of advice from forums that is not supported by good evidence - we can all make mistakes about what we believe.

To me it looks like OCD might be another diagnosis which is likely to have a number of different causes, and not great evidence for any particular intervention. Wish I had some more helpful advice for you - good luck.

I don't have any knowledge to impart, but just wanted to send my best wishes.

I'd also be a bit wary of advice from forums that is not supported by good evidence - we can all make mistakes about what we believe.

To me it looks like OCD might be another diagnosis which is likely to have a number of different causes, and not great evidence for any particular intervention. Wish I had some more helpful advice for you - good luck.
Thanks man that was really cool

peggy-sue

I get bad OCD when I'm bullied, the only "cure" is to get away from the bully - not always easy if it is your boss or your husband. :cautious:

It was all to do with my having no control in the situation - the OCD actions were my attempt to control at least something.

I did have CBT for it - but that was utterly useless - it did not address why I felt the need to keep on washing things, just got me to stop doing it. I suppose the exposure therapy worked a little bit, in that I actually took part in it.
It wasn't as if I didn't know my actions were silly, I did. I also knew exposure therapy would be the way to go, I just needed somebody standing beside me to make me go through with it and get me through the panic attacks afterwards.

Apart from that, I try to just channel it constructively as opposed to destructively. Again, not easy.
I started learning about and collecting something that interested me... I felt that was constructive.

Now our house is stuffed full to the brim with it and I need to get rid of (some of) it. That's even harder than finding and getting it in the first place This is not constructive.:p

I did find it useful when studying. Being a bit OCD helped me channel my studies well, but then the studies came to an end... and the collecting started.:rolleyes:

aquariusgirl

I think Esther may be right..there may be multiple causes.. but my OCD seemed to ease up tremendously when I got on zinc. I assume it has something to do with the zinc/copper balance. Excess copper is known to mess with the mind... see Wilson's disease.

The link below describes how some mental disorders just go puff.. when you supplement zinc.

http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/metals-and-the-mind/

Some people think low zinc is related to a condition called pyroluria. I can't say. I am suspicious it ties back to heavy metals.

David Hammond, a poster on here, describes how it took 3 yrs of supplementing zinc alongside a chelation program to restore his zinc levels.

you can't just supplement zinc willy nilly.. I read on linus pauling site that 6 wks of 50mg plus what you take in through the diet can upset the copper balance....so you may have to invest in some testing.

good luck. keep us posted if you find something that works.

peggy-sue

I've never tried taking anything for it, it's just how I react to being bullied, or rather, it gets out of hand when I'm bullied.
It is a personal characteristic that can be beneficial in, (for example), an academic research career.

I've been taking zinc (with vitD) for some considerable time now, to support my immune system, but it doesn't appear to have had any beneficial effect on my "collectings".:rolleyes:

liverock

Hi fellas,

I I know my root cause of OCD is probably poor gut function or methylation (nuerotransmitter test came back with nearly all neurotransmitters being low plus low cortisol in the morning and low dhea) but I can't start treatment until I treat my OCD first. The reason why is that my OCD stops me from taking pills and things that will heal me. Get anxiety over it.

Your probably right about the gut being responsible for OCD,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24257436

The gut can cause anxiety symptoms as well.

If you have problems taking the probiotic mentioned try @Hip's anxiety supplements.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...nxiety-symptoms-with-three-supplements.18369/

Tammy

Hi Jeremy..............don't want to make this complicated for you........but your post is unclear as to what exactly you are seeking. You mention that your OCD stops you from taking pills............and that you need to take care of the OCD before you start any treatment...........but then you mention later that you are really just looking for supplements. You also state that you don't want to take any mental practice........but not sure what you mean by this? Sorry..........just trying to understand.

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

Often the most effective treatments for OCD are a combination of medications and therapy but individualized treatment depends if you are suffering more from the "O" component of obsessive thoughts vs. the "C" component of compulsive behaviors or some mixture of the two. If you were to see a therapist, I would choose someone whose specialty is OCD as not everyone has this specific training. @Hip is right, if it had a very sudden post-infectious onset then strep may be behind it. Best wishes.

Crux

I agree about infections being involved with OCD.
For instance, SIBO, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, may result in B12 deficiency.
B12 deficiency is associated with OCD.
I have trichotillomania, hair pulling. Sometimes I notice myself pulling eyelashes, so I increase the B12.
Treating the SIBO has helped, but I still need high doses of this vitamin.

perchance dreamer

You might consider neurofeedback for OCD. A biofeedback therapist told me that people with OCD have abnormally high beta waves associated with hypervigilance. Neurofeedback can help bring those levels down.

Also, you could try some brainwave entrainment at home with the NeuroProgrammer 3 from Transparent Corp. They have a lot of different brainwave sessions for relaxation. You could email their customer support and ask which session would be best to listen to.

They offer a free trial of their software, and you don't have to provide a credit card. It's for 2 weeks. Here's a link. Good luck!

http://www.transparentcorp.com/products/np/

perchance dreamer

@JeremyLin, you might also consider trying the Alpha-Stim for OCD. The Alpha-Stim is an at-home device used for cranial electrical stimulation. I use mine to help me sleep. I've also read of it helping for OCD.

If you are interested, I'd call or email Alpha-Stim to see who carries them in your area. It's important to give it a trial at home before buying because not everyone is satisfied with them. Many distributors let you rent them for awhile or have rent-to-own programs.

I rented one from my sleep doctor a long time ago. He's a mainstream kind of guy, but does find CES effective for many patients.

If you try one, you'll need to experiment with how long to use it, the time of day, and whether eyes open or eyes shut works best for you. Also, you'd need to figure out the intensity.

I use it at the lowest setting of 1 about 40 minutes at night with my eyes closed. From going to biofeedback, I know that my brain speeds way, way up when I close my eyes, which is a reverse pattern from normal.

Here are some links:

http://www.alpha-stim.com/

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...tim-is-helping-to-beat-the-bully-9948771.html

http://www.ocdrecoverycenters.com/about/prot_cranial.html

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I know someone who had this and the best thing they did was see an integrative doctor and a psychologist both (or might have been psychiatrist, not sure who Rx-ed the medication). Prescription medicine, talk therapy, and also some kind of supplement helped them recover. Took a multifacted approach.

Best wishes.

aquariusgirl

Jeremy if there is a gut element consider the American gut project . It might tell u if u have Abnormal flora.. It's kind of a long shot treatment wise ... But may pay dividends long term