• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mercury Filling Test

I have one amalgam filling, for about 15 years. I am worried it might me leaching mercury, but it's never given me any problems, so I'd like to know for sure before I try to fix something that isn't broken. Is there any test that can detect if it is?

PeterPositive

Unfortunately all mercury fillings leak small amounts of mercury. Hot beverages and mastication are sufficient to cause small leaks. That's why after many years they need to be replaced. :(

To say if this is causing health problems to you is a different business. Typically people who suffer from significant toxicity have had many fillings in their mouth for many years. Sometimes they also underwent unprotected replacement, which is a terrible thing to do because the amalgam gets vaporized directly in the mouth. :(

It's a nasty practice, unfortunately, and there's still not enough awareness of the problem among professionals.

SwanRonson

Unfortunately all mercury fillings leak small amounts of mercury. Hot beverages and mastication are sufficient to cause small leaks. That's why after many years they need to be replaced. :(

To say if this is causing health problems to you is a different business. Typically people who suffer from significant toxicity have had many fillings in their mouth for many years. Sometimes they also underwent unprotected replacement, which is a terrible thing to do because the amalgam gets vaporized directly in the mouth. :(

It's a nasty practice, unfortunately, and there's still not enough awareness of the problem among professionals.

I'm scheduled to have two amalgams replaced in a few weeks. I asked them how they ensure the mercury doesn't get into my system and they said they use suction tubes. Is there a more specific way that I need to ask them about to ensure they are doing it properly?

PeterPositive

I'm scheduled to have two amalgams replaced in a few weeks. I asked them how they ensure the mercury doesn't get into my system and they said they use suction tubes. Is there a more specific way that I need to ask them about to ensure they are doing it properly?
I am not an expert. From what I've read it should be fine. Some dentists also use a rubber dam or similar device all around the tooth to make sure that the oral mucosa is shielded by debris etc...

I too have two amalgams sitting in mouth and I was going to get them out 3 years ago but I crashed badly a few weeks before and had to cancel. I hope to be able to do it this year. It requires quite a bit of travelling and a decent amount of energy, which is not my strong suit right now.

SwanRonson

I am not an expert. From what I've read it should be fine. Some dentists also use a rubber dam or similar device all around the tooth to make sure that the oral mucosa is shielded by debris etc...

I too have two amalgams sitting in mouth and I was going to get them out 3 years ago but I crashed badly a few weeks before and had to cancel. I hope to be able to do it this year. It requires quite a bit of travelling and a decent amount of energy, which is not my strong suit right now.

Unfortunately I have way more than two. I have about 10. :-( Most are small, but about 4 are very large fillings. I wouldn't have them out right now except I have a spacing issue between two of them and the dentist said we might as well replace the fillings while they take care of re-shaping the tooth to eliminate the gap.

I'm still not sure about the whole amalgam thing. Some days it makes sense and other days I can't really get on board with it.

melamine

Typically people who suffer from significant toxicity have had many fillings in their mouth for many years. Sometimes they also underwent unprotected replacement, which is a terrible thing to do because the amalgam gets vaporized directly in the mouth

Yes, and unprotected replacement is an understatement with respect to some of us. I had years of huge fillings improperly drilled out and filled, again and again and again, the same teeth, sometimes within only a few years.

Some of us who have tested high, have classic symptoms of chronic mercury poisoning, and do not necessarily see mercury as the cause, but rather, a fundamental problem that led to inadequate response to other toxins, infections, stress, etc.

Mercury fillings are always toxic and everyone has to determine to what extent they have been exposed, and decide for themselves if they think it was enough to impact their health to the extent that they want to put their resources into replacing them.

PeterPositive

Unfortunately I have way more than two. I have about 10. :-( Most are small, but about 4 are very large fillings. I wouldn't have them out right now except I have a spacing issue between two of them and the dentist said we might as well replace the fillings while they take care of re-shaping the tooth to eliminate the gap.

I'm still not sure about the whole amalgam thing. Some days it makes sense and other days I can't really get on board with it.
I am in the same boat. I have never had them drilled / replaced but they are pretty old and so part of those has gone into the system, I suppose. Hopefully it also went out... but who knows. Inorganic mercury is a bad beast. :(

SwanRonson

Hopefully it also went out... but who knows.

Yeah, I guess the real question is then what to do about it. It seems the two routes to take are chelation and methylation. The chelation route seems so risky to me. But, I guess even with methylation (methylb12 binding to mercury) you'd still need some amount of chelating to free mercury out of tissues first so it can be removed.

PeterPositive

Yeah, I guess the real question is then what to do about it. It seems the two routes to take are chelation and methylation. The chelation route seems so risky to me. But, I guess even with methylation (methylb12 binding to mercury) you'd still need some amount of chelating to free mercury out of tissues first so it can be removed.
I have high methyl-Hg (from hair test) which is possibly due to the diet. Having lots of digestive issues I have eliminated eggs and meat but still get proteins from fish.

When I started the methylation protocol I was worried about side effects of this chelating / moving around the mercury. Fortunately I didn't have any and the Hg levels are (slowly) going down.

My doc also wants me to take DMSA but for now I'll pass. I am not sure it's an entirely good idea with fillings still in my mouth. If I can get them out later this year I'd prefer to do that first and then maybe try the chelation.

veganmua

From what I've read, suction is not enough to protect you during amalgam removal. You need rubber dam, cool water running over the amalgam (the hotter it gets while drilling, the more mercury is released) and an oxygen supply so that you don't breathe in any vapours. People have got a LOT worse from removing amalgams without the necessary precautions, so be very careful.

SwanRonson

From what I've read, suction is not enough to protect you during amalgam removal. You need rubber dam, cool water running over the amalgam (the hotter it gets while drilling, the more mercury is released) and an oxygen supply so that you don't breathe in any vapours. People have got a LOT worse from removing amalgams without the necessary precautions, so be very careful.

I've actually postponed this procedure because of that very thing. The more I read up on it, I really don't think my dentist understands all of this. I'm really not sure there is anyone in my area who does, so I'm going to hold off. Thanks for the warning.

Johnmac

Yes, you want to make sure they are trained in and are using the IAOMT Protocol - which has quite a few protective measures including the suction.

This is not a rare protocol: the dentist I went to in Bangkok recently practised it.