• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best Description of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity I've Ever Run Across

Wayne

I ran across this 2 1/2 min. video a few days ago as I was researching deep liver and gallbladder cleansing. This woman claims to have completely recovered from MCS, and now runs an internal cleansing business (Optimal Health Network) trying to help others do the same. I haven't had a chance to thoroughly peruse her website yet, but thought I'd at post a link here while it's on my mind.

How to Heal from Multiple Chemical Sensitivities

Last edited:

caledonia

That is a good description of MCS, although I'm not sure that "anyone" can get it. However, those with certain methylation and detoxification mutations, the "canaries in the coalmine", given the same exposures as those without the mutations, are primed to get it first. Since MTHFR is in up to 40% of the population, the potential is there for a huge epidemic (as if 15% of the population with MCS wasn't an epidemic already!).

However, I'm pretty sure you can recover. I've gotten partial recovery from just a few months of low level methylation treatment, and feel pretty confident I will eventually be all the way recovered. Some people on here disagree with me that it can be this simple, but the way it works is one glutathione molecule is required to detoxify each toxin molecule. If you're low on glutathione, then you can't detoxify, and you react to tiny exposures as if they were large exposures. This is straight from Sherry Roger's book Tired or Toxic.

So the way to heal is to increase glutathione. The best way to do that is via methylation treatment. The treatments the lady is talking about in the video will improve methylation indirectly by taking a load (stressor) off your system. The stressors deplete glutathione. So by removing the stressors you will preserve some glutathione. While removing stressors is important, this may or may not be enough for recovery.

She is missing the part about having low glutathione due to genetic mutations, and building glutathione with methylation supplements.

Note that this is the exact same treatment as for ME/CFS (and any other methylation related problems you may have), so you should be able to kill two or more birds with one stone.

Some people take glutathione as a supplement for MCS, but I found out recently from Ben Lynch's latest video that you need NAD (a form of niacin) in addition to glutathione, otherwise you will just be making a lot of oxidized glutathione, instead of the good reduced glutathione. Also taking too much glutathione causes feedback inhibition. Therefore glutathione supplementation done the wrong way can actually be counterproductive.

Fogbuster

”Detox Cocktail” of Vitamin C 2000, alpha lipoic acid 300, glutithione 300 twice per day!"

So is it advised to take Niacin with this concoction @caledonia?

caledonia

”Detox Cocktail” of Vitamin C 2000, alpha lipoic acid 300, glutithione 300 twice per day!"

So is it advised to take Niacin with this concoction @caledonia?[/quote

Yes, if you're taking glutathione, then take NAD. I haven't worked out which form of niacin this is, but I'm sure that the particular form is important, otherwise Ben Lynch would have said niacin.

However, I would drop the ALA if you have any metals, as it will cause metal detox. 300mg is a pretty big number. I was getting a pretty good metal detox from 100mg. Plus if you don't do it like the Cutler protocol, there is a chance you could send mercury to your brain.

Strawberry

This article describes how MCS is often experienced; it's probably the best description I’ve ever run across. Could be a good piece to show to friends, relatives and/or co-workers, etc..

Multiple Chemical Sensitivity - Overview

That link took me on a wild goose chase. Thank you Wayne, I don't know if I am onto something or not. From the link:
Some people with MCS also have porphyria, a genetic disorder of the enzyme pathways that may not manifest itself until triggered by a chemical exposure.
which led me to http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/porphyria where I found
What genes are related to porphyria?
Each form of porphyria results from mutations in one of these genes: ALAD, ALAS2, CPOX, FECH, HMBS, PPOX, UROD, or UROS.

So now my question, how do I find out if I have the mutations in those genes? Is this a question that needs to be @Valentijn or someone knowledgeable of genetics and 23andme raw data?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help.

brenda

My MCS was at it's worst when l could not read a newspaper or magazine, or wash in tap water (chlorine) but now l am reacting to very little and even used ordinary decorative paint last summer. I cannot take methylation vitamins yet, and most of my improvement has been through diet especially after quitting gluten.

So now my question, how do I find out if I have the mutations in those genes? Is this a question that needs to be @Valentijn or someone knowledgeable of genetics and 23andme raw data?
You can look up your results at https://www.23andme.com/you/explorer/ then you can go to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/projects/SNP/snp_ref.cgi?rs= and see if it's a missense mutation. Known pathogenic mutations will say so near the top of the page, and will have a link to OMIM.

Strawberry

You can look up your results at https://www.23andme.com/you/explorer/ then you can go to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/projects/SNP/snp_ref.cgi?rs= and see if it's a missense mutation. Known pathogenic mutations will say so near the top of the page, and will have a link to OMIM.

I did look up all the genes, but I am not sure what a "missense mutation" is. Would that mean anything that comes up as aa/cc/tt/gg etc? (and not the ones that have two different letters)

I did look up all the genes, but I am not sure what a "missense mutation" is. Would that mean anything that comes up as aa/cc/tt/gg etc? (and not the ones that have two different letters)
No, there would be some red font somewhere on dbSNP saying "Missense" or similar if that SNP is a missense mutation.

Strawberry

No, there would be some red font somewhere on dbSNP saying "Missense" or similar if that SNP is a missense mutation.
Okay, so I finally had some time to look up about a half a dozen at the ncbi website listed above. There are some missense ones (there are about 120 genes, I only looked at a few but got 3 missense out of 6). So does genotype or alleles matter at all? (the aa/cc/tt/gg etc) I wasn't able to figure that out, and don't really want to continue on with the remaining 114 when I don't think I have all the info yet.

Thank you so much Valentijn for your help! I wish my brain worked as well as yours. :)

So does genotype or alleles matter at all? (the aa/cc/tt/gg etc) I wasn't able to figure that out, and don't really want to continue on with the remaining 114 when I don't think I have all the info yet.
Usually there's a "MAF/Minor Allele Count" in the center near the top. It'll say something like "A = 0.01", which would mean that "A" is the minor allele and it has a prevalence rate of 1% in their general sample.

Sometimes there's no data there, but there might be near the bottom of the page, with a bunch of colored bars. However, if "RefSNP Alleles" at the top has "(REV)" instead of "(FWD)", then the alleles at the bars need to be reversed - so C = G, G = C, A = T, and T = A in that case.

Strawberry

Okay @Valentijn , here are two genes marked as missense if you could please help me understand

rs1800435
I am CC
The site says “MAF/MinorAlleleCount: G=0.0635/318"
But also says C/G (REV)

2nd one:
rs28935484
I am TT
Site says : MAF/MinorAlleleCount: NA
And A/T (REV)

On this 2nd one, with clicking around a bit, I found this
"NM_000032.4:c.569A>T: missense variant"
But I have no idea what that means if I have the bad allele or the good allele…

Also found this, which makes me wonder it is the T allele:
Description

In a patient with X-linked sideroblastic anemia refractory to pyridoxine (300751), Furuyama et al. (1997) identified a 621A-T transversion in the ALAS2 gene that led to an asp190-to-val amino acid substitution.

I am so sorry to keep bugging you about this, but it is about as easy to understand as learning Chinese...

If I can at least partly understand that I am doing it right, I will check all 120 genes, and find out which are missense and which aren't, but I don't understand how to recognize (properly) the bad allele.

Thank you SO much AGAIN, Valentijn!

@Strawberry - Regarding the first one, the "Minor Allele" is always given based on the forward alignment (like 23andMe), even if the rest of the data for it on dbSNP is in reverse. So G is G there, and you have the very common version.

For the second one it's harder to tell, since there's no minor allele or other population data given. So I looked it up on my spreadsheet with 23andMe data from 31 ME patients and 31 controls, and absolutely everyone has TT (or T, for the guys).

So you have the common version of each.

taniaaust1

Strawberry. I admire that you are trying hard to get your head around it. I wish I could too. I thought I'd figured it out there for a moment but then when Valentijn replied, I saw I hadnt at all.

The best Ive been able to do with all this is use Valentijns program and have my 23andME raw data put throu which then gives one a copy of all the rarer mutations (as like you Im completely confused at the letters so needed that program to tell me what wasnt normal).

Thou then many of them I look up once I know they arent the normal, turn out they are junk DNA when I (about half of them are real genes thou..the rs numbers are easy to look up online from Valentijin program to find the name of the gene and the issues connected to it.. once Valentijns program has shown a mutation of a rs number).

I dont know how to find thou certain one from all the mutated gene numbers if I havent already looked up the name.. (or rather its all too complex for my head). and hence having to try to go throu the whole lot of the mutations I have and see what comes up. I think Ive been at it for a year now and only have investigated 7 pages of my rare mutations out of the 18 pages I think it was which came from my data run throu Valentijns program. (I have found so far genes connected to lyme and to mastocytosis and one connected to ME/CFS)

(another couple of years and I would of been throu them all . It is very very interesting to see what does come up and has explained other of my health issues)

Last edited:

taniaaust1

My MCS was at it's worst when l could not read a newspaper or magazine, or wash in tap water (chlorine) but now l am reacting to very little and even used ordinary decorative paint last summer. I cannot take methylation vitamins yet, and most of my improvement has been through diet especially after quitting gluten.

Mine got better some by avoiding all chemicals I could and also working out what my food intollerances were and avoiding those too.

Not having those burdens did bring me out of having severe MCS to a more tollerable level, I can even now mostly tollerate washing powders on peoples clothes, previously I was to the point in which I was reacting to neighbours hanging out their washing 100m away even when I had windows and doors closed.

I dont know how to find thou certain one from all the mutated gene numbers if I havent already looked up the name.. (or rather its all too complex for my head). and hence having to try to go throu the whole lot of the mutations I have and see what comes up. I think Ive been at it for a year now and only have investigated 7 pages of my rare mutations out of the 18 pages I think it was which came from my data run throu Valentijns program. (I have found so far genes connected to lyme and to mastocytosis and one connected to ME/CFS)
Mr Valentijn and I are hoping to download and incorporate some additional databases into the program. So it would be able to list the gene name, or that it's not on a gene, or even automatically flag missense mutations and pathogenic missense mutations.

But we need a lot more hard drive space than we currently have. Even though we ultimately need just a small bit of data, we have to extract it from pretty huge files, so need enough room to store it long enough to do that :p Hopefully we can build a new PC soon which can handle all of that, but we need to have enough spare cash in the bank first.

btdt

Kind of back on my feet picking away at this again I have MCS
and this
Function mRNA Protein
SNP to mRNA
Accession Position Allele change Accession Position Residue change
missense
missense" style="padding: 0.363em 0.637em; border: 0px; text-align: center;">missense
missense Fwd NM_001312660.1 713 ATG ⇒ AAG
ATG ⇒ ACG NP_001299589.1 27 M [Met] ⇒ K [Lys]
M [Met] ⇒ T [Thr]
missense
missense" style="padding: 0.363em 0.637em; border: 0px; text-align: center;">missense
missense Fwd NM_145870.2 527 ATG ⇒ AAG
ATG ⇒ ACG NP_665877.1 82 M [Met] ⇒ K [Lys]
M [Met] ⇒ T [Thr]
missense
missense Fwd XM_011536670.2 1128 ATG ⇒ AAG
ATG ⇒ ACG XP_011534972.1 43 M [Met] ⇒ K [Lys]
M [Met] ⇒ T [Thr]
missense
missense Fwd XM_017021243.1 798 ATG ⇒ AAG
ATG ⇒ ACG XP_016876732.1 43 M [Met] ⇒ K [Lys]
M [Met] ⇒ T [Thr]
oddly it did not print red like it was when I copied it... still have brain fog...