• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Psychology Today Opinion piece regarding the IOM release

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
A liitle probing into Mr Shorter's background seems to suggest that his primary motivation for choosing psychiatry as his field of activity is not to help sick and vulnerable people get better, but to ensure that certain groups of people he feels an antipathy to remain traduced, marginalised and oppressed.
It's a sad fact of life that whilst many people who have obtained positions of influence are nobly actuated by ambitions to do good in the world, others, regrettably, are actuated by negative ambitions to harm and suppress people they are ideologically predisposed to dislike, and they will dedicate considerable energy to pursuing this ignoble goal.

He's not a psychiatrist. He is a medical historian.

Valentijn

Although I would never wish this disease on anyone, I am a bit miffed that certain individuals in this drama will never know the stark terror of trying to survive in a world that does not recognize that people are sick and need care.
I'm not so nice ... I think it'd be freakin' hilarious if a bunch of these gits caught it, or any of the other diseases which they don't believe in :lol:

Valentijn

It looks like they pulled the offensive blog entry. It's probably still there, but returned to the author instead of open to the public, since a login prompt comes up when trying to view it now. It's not listed on their recent blogs page, nor on Shorter's page.

adreno

PR activist
It looks like they pulled the offensive blog entry. It's probably still there, but returned to the author instead of open to the public, since a login prompt comes up when trying to view it now. It's not listed on their recent blogs page, nor on Shorter's page.
That didn't take long.

adreno

PR activist
Even if they are ever asked to step down, I imagine they would step down with a pension or stipend or something, allowing them to live quietly the rest of their years. Even if knighthood and tenure were stripped, it would never make it up to the patients.
I think the best we can hope for is to have them discredited. It's enough for me. It would be a terrible blow to their egos.

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
That didn't take long.

Shorter may have pulled it himself.

The individuals who have blogs hosted by PT (and there are hundreds of them) upload their own posts, retain editing access once they are posted and can presumably remove them (or put them behind their own log in password) if they see fit. Though it's not out of the question that the blog hosts have received complaints and decided the article was in violation of their Terms of Use.

He would not have got that piece published in Psychiatric Times, which does have editing control.

LaurelW

"I am very disappointed to say the least, but, as you know, the C.F.S.L. does not tolerate failure. Therefore, I am convening a meeting of all section heads at the Secret CFS Lobby Lair (S.C.F.S.L.L.) high atop the Schilthorn in the Swiss Alps. There, we can "discuss" exactly who was responsible for this security failure."

Oh my gosh, Forbin, I haven't laughed this hard in weeks!

PennyIA

I haven't made it through all five pages of comments.... but he did manage to conveniently forget that we were fighting the use of funds for the IOM and many patients aren't happy with the outcome either. But I'm with the comments that I've read so far... if it's got the dander up of many that keep trying to force us to 'think ourselves better' ... then I think the IOM report has managed to push a few buttons, and I am thankful for that.

jeff_w

http://www.royalcollege.ca/portal/page/portal/rc/about/whatwedo

Should complaints about this hate piece by Psychiatrist Edward Shorter be made to the Royal College of Physicians and surgeons of Canada, to the University of Toronto where he is Professor, or is it just not worth it for an inimportant bigot?
Completely worth it as long as it doesn't strain the health of those making the complaints. If people have the energy for activism in this instance, then go for it! There should be consequences for his actions.

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

GracieJ

Whoever pulled it, the damage is done.

Soooo refreshing to read multiple blogs, articles, etc. emphasizing the reality of a disease.

The comments following Shorter's blog were a breath of fresh air. I clipped the first 50 for later re-reading with screen prints. I wish I could read the rest that were submitted.

Dare I start to believe we are being heard by influential parties?