• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My 23andMe results

Strawberry

I would greatly appreciate some wisdom, but don't want to overload with excess data. I ran it through genetic genie, and MTHFR Support, so have both sets of results. Do you want one or the other or both (to compare)? Do you want red only? Or red and yellow?

Strawberry

Okay, that one is easy as Genetic Genie only brought up 2. Detox panel had none, so both red are from the methylation panel.

MAO A R297R rs6323 TT ++
MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 GG ++

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Good news is that you don't have too many mutations that affect methylation! This *may* mean that your health concerns are not directly aggravated by genetic flaws.

Here is some more info on MTHFR A1298C. Dr. Lynch says: "MTHFR A1298C mutation is that it is very common and does not seem to pose too much concern unless there are other methylation or cytochrome mutations present. Obviously, if one leads a lifestyle which is unhealthy (smoking, high stress, toxic exposures) and consumes an unhealthy diet (refined carbs, processed meats, saturated fats), then having a heterozygous A1298C mutation may contribute to cardiovascular disease, depression, fibromyalgia and others."

Strawberry

COMT V158M rs4680 AG +-
COMT H62H rs4633 CT +-
VDR Taq rs731236 AG +-
MTRR A66G rs1801394 AG +-
BHMT-08 rs651852 CT +-
AHCY-01 rs819147 CT +-
AHCY-19 rs 819171 CT +-
CBS C699T rs234706 AG +-
And those also are only the methylation panel.

So SHOULD I be on a methylation program? Still struggling to understand that. Brain fog isn't bad lately, but understanding information is!

Also, still struggling to understand homozygous and heterozygous.

To @Methyl Health is everything on your signature red Genetic Genie??
And thank you to @AndyPandy and @Sherpa

Strawberry

There is not really a "methyation program" and if someone tries to sell you one run away. :)

LOL! What did I mean? methylation protocol? :redface: (fumbles for words then gives up)

My main symptom is chronic sore throat for 20 years, with muscle fatigue as if I have the flu and ran a marathon. I used to be able to bully my way through the fatigue (I am a single mom, it was a necessity) but now I can't stand for more than a minute before I start sucking air and my legs are screaming SIT DOWN! (I'm skinny, so it isn't a weight issue) Over the last 3 years I also have had odd symptoms that stick around for a few months, then go away. I have had mild neuropathy, vertigo, and muscle weakness. I had this strange thing that I can only explain as a boa constrictor around my stomach, or labor contractions. I had this weird buzzing ball that would travel around my body. I had brain fog so bad I couldn't remember phone numbers or my address (I do accounting, normally I will remember a number before a name or face). I backed off on cleaning in evenings and weekends, which has helped my clarity. I also get palpitations when air pollution gets high, and can feel like my legs will explode (like cooked sausages) when I walk the short half a block to the mail box. If air quality isn't bad, that doesn't happen. I know there is more, but can't think of more at the moment.

I didn't have a sudden onset, it has been gradual over 25 years. It didn't start after mono, but EBV and CMV are active after all these years (I was 15 or 16 when I had mono). I accidentally inhaled a fairly large quantity of toner when I was 21. I have several herpes viruses, and the closest trigger in the last 20 years started when my wonderful ex husband cheated on me, yet they haven't tested to see if that virus (HPV) is still active. I have ANA, speckled pattern. I don't have lupus, or anything else rheumatoid, I possibly dont have MS.

I eat only meat and veggies (LOL, I typed meat and protein...), very little carbs. Sugar makes me sick. Wheat makes me sick.

I had migraines as a small child, but rarely get them now since puberty.

I can't think of more at the moment. Sorry it is so jumbled, this is far more than I can normally type coherently.

caledonia

You might want to read the SNPs Interpretation Guide under Caledonia's signature.

Just popping in so you can see the link he is referring to (down below in my signature).

The few people I've run into on here with MTHFR A1298C +/+ had bad anxiety/OCD problems.

You may have some glutathione mutations which could explain your symptoms (see the Detox Analysis from Genetic Genie), or toxic metals such as from mercury fillings. The gut sounds like it could be another issue, if you're having sore throats and viral reactivations (immune system problems).

On the MTHFRsupport report look and see if you have mutations listed under Celiac / Gluten Intolerance.

Strawberry

The few people I've run into on here with MTHFR A1298C +/+ had bad anxiety/OCD problems.

Thanks for popping in! :D

As for anxiety or OCD, when I was young I did have OCD tendencies. I had been told I was going to be a concert pianist, so I would try to play without mistakes, until I decided it was making a problem and realized my muscles didn't work well enough to be a concert pianist. I also had issues when I got married, that I just forced myself to decide it IS okay if he squeezes the toothpaste from the middle, and it IS okay if he puts the toilet paper roll on BACKWARDS!!! lol I had anxiety issues when my daughter was little and I was raising her by myself, having to get her to school on time, and myself to work on time, even though I didn't sleep the night before, etc etc. But I feel I have worked through all that pretty well. All the bi polar people I know just cling to me because I am very grounding and comforting for them to be around me. I just get tired of the drama. :rolleyes:

Since I can't figure out any other way to get the data here other than retyping line by line, it might be some time before I get the Genetic Genie detox stuff, or the MTHFR Support stuff here...

caledonia

Thanks for popping in! :D

As for anxiety or OCD, when I was young I did have OCD tendencies. I had been told I was going to be a concert pianist, so I would try to play without mistakes, until I decided it was making a problem and realized my muscles didn't work well enough to be a concert pianist. I also had issues when I got married, that I just forced myself to decide it IS okay if he squeezes the toothpaste from the middle, and it IS okay if he puts the toilet paper roll on BACKWARDS!!! lol I had anxiety issues when my daughter was little and I was raising her by myself, having to get her to school on time, and myself to work on time, even though I didn't sleep the night before, etc etc. But I feel I have worked through all that pretty well. All the bi polar people I know just cling to me because I am very grounding and comforting for them to be around me. I just get tired of the drama. :rolleyes:

Since I can't figure out any other way to get the data here other than retyping line by line, it might be some time before I get the Genetic Genie detox stuff, or the MTHFR Support stuff here...

Do you know how to copy and paste? Have a child or grandchild who can show you? :)

Forgot to mention, the MTHFR A1298C, MAO A and COMT would all set you up for anxiety and other mental health issues.

Strawberry

@Methyl Health I am so sorry for what you have been through! I didn't post my story with the intent of showing I have OCD or anxiety, I was trying to show I didn't. I recognized my behaviors as problematic, and made myself control them. OCD isn't controllable at that young an age. Also with the anxiety. My daughter eventually grew up enough to learn hygiene and didn't get every cold/cough that went through daycare and grew out of coughing until she threw up in the middle of the night. That would make me wake up in a panic, and all these years later it is still on my health record that I have high anxiety. Go figure. I am neither though, which is interesting when it is apparently so prevalent with that gene to have mental health issues. Thank you for sharing though, I hope you have been able to work through it? I do know someone that had been a very successful concert pianist until his OCD got out of control. His story also is very sad, but I believe he now has it under control.

On the MTHFRsupport report look and see if you have mutations listed under Celiac / Gluten Intolerance.

I have no mutations under the Celiac and Gluten Intolerance section thankfully. Although one odd thing, all three genes for the thyroid are red and yellow.

I also just saw your recent post, I do know how to copy paste! :D But my Adobe needs updating and I can't click on anything to copy it... I will work on getting it done though, but I have very little free time here at work. (the only place I really get on the internet) I can try copying directly from the METHYLSupport site?

Strawberry

RED ONLY from MTHFR Support (Genetic Genie Detox will have to be next week...)

Allergy/Mold
HLA rs2155219 T TT +/+

Clotting Factors
CYP4V2 rs13146272 C CC +/+
F9 G580A rs6048 G GG +/+

Methylation
ACE Del16 rs4343 G GG +/+
BHMT R239Q rs3733890 A AA +/+
CBS A13637G rs2851391 T TT +/+
GAD1 rs2241165 C CC +/+
MAO A R297R rs6323 T TT +/+
MTHFD1 C105T rs1076991 C CC +/+
MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 G GG +/+
MTHFR rs1476413 T TT +/+
MTHFR rs3737964 T TT +/+
MTHFR rs4846048 G GG +/+
MTHFR rs4846049 T TT +/+
MTHFS rs6495446 C CC +/+
PEMT rs4646406 A AA +/+

Thyroid
FOXE1 rs1867277 A AA +/+

Eye Health
BCMO1 A379V rs7501331 T TT +/+

Other Immune Factors
HLA-DRB1 rs660895 G GG +/+

Sulfonotransferase
SULT1A1 rs1042157 A AA +/+

Wow, Strawberry. I'm still learning about SNPs, but that's a lot of MTHF homogeneity! I recognize the MTHFS from Rich Van K. theorizing why Freddd has difficulty with vegetable folate and folinic. The MTHFD I think I recognize from the Deplin graphic. Valentijn talked about MTHFR A1298C here.

I don't know if you've been able to research some of this via Valentijn and Caledonia's posts. I second looking at Caledonia's SNPs Interpretation Guide (in her signature).

Another thing to check is the ratio of B12 to folate, which can differ depending on genetics. For example, Johnmac has MTHFR A1298C, MTR, and MTRR, and needs 2-3 times methylB12 to L-methylfolate. You might be able to search and see what would help or what to avoid for supplements by looking at other posters with the same SNPs. Your requirements might differ depending on the totality of your SNPs.

There's an explanation of homozygous and heterozygous here.

Strawberry

Thank you @Alea Ishikawa for all the links! It is always nice stumbling across the old threads of Rich VanK's.... :( I have been able to do little bits of research here and there, but even though I can now remember my phone number due to cutting back drastically on physical activity (little cleaning), I still can't remember new things.

I wish I understood the methylation thingy. How should I know if I need it, and what will it do for me?

Also, what do you mean by "Your requirements might differ depending on the totality of your SNPs."? Do you mean greens, yellows and reds combined?

Hi, @Strawberry - I'm still recovering from a doctor's appointment, so I'll make this brief: I think you would have some benefit from a methylation protocol. However, you can have side effects from it, and I know you're still working, so you may want to etch out at least 3 days to try it and recoup from it, if you do experience side effects. Do you have anyone working with you who could read up on Rich and/or Freddd's protocols, see what you need based on your genetics, and track your supplementation?

I might try to hit the rest of your questions after I've rested some more, unless someone else wants to take a shot at them.

Strawberry

Hi @Alea Ishikawa , I will see if I can get my daughter to read up on the protocols before she leaves for university. She now wants to do 23andMe for herself, so it will be good for her to understand. It would be a great learning experience for her also, as she is in bioengineering to cure diseases. :D:balloons:

Also, I do have vacation time still unused from this year, so I will roll it over to next year to try this.

Aaaaaand I'm back.

Strawberry said:
How should I know if I need it, and what will it do for me?
Pulling from an earlier post:

Methylation treatment can help increase glutathione. Glutathione is an antioxidant used for building cells, detoxing, and protecting B12 and the mitochondria involved in the body's energy process. Glutathione tends to be low in people with chronic illness.

Methylation is also important depending on genetics, like a homozygous MTHFR mutation. I've also heard it set the stage for tolerating a supplement or medication that was not tolerated previously. Caledonia noted methylfolate helped with her multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS). Dr. Stephen Stahl stated addressing a methylfolate deficiency can help with depression/antidepressant response. I've also heard it can help with some heavy metal detox.

However, methylation is usually just one step on the journey. As Dr. Rich Van K. noted, you might need to treat pathogens, including viruses, mycoplasma, etc. If you have an orthostatic issue such as NMH or POTS, that might also need to be addressed.

Strawberry said:
Also, what do you mean by "Your requirements might differ depending on the totality of your SNPs."? Do you mean greens, yellows and reds combined?
I mean: taking into account how each mutation can affect your response to supplements. For example, one genetic mutation might indicate you need more B12 than normal, but another mutation might result in having an increased emotional response (agitation, rage, etc.) to large doses of "methyl" supplements. So, you'd have to balance - say, by taking somewhat smaller amounts.

Basically, just being aware of what affects you.

Strawberry

Thank you @Alea Ishikawa Sorry, I believe gravity failed me for a little over a month. But I believe I am back on earth for a while! I need to start understanding all of this, and figure out where to start. I think I will try the OMI before I try self medicating, it is just a little too scary for me at the moment.

Thank you @Alea Ishikawa Sorry, I believe gravity failed me for a little over a month. But I believe I am back on earth for a while! I need to start understanding all of this, and figure out where to start. I think I will try the OMI before I try self medicating, it is just a little too scary for me at the moment.
That's fine. :)

Are you talking about the Open Medicine Institute? I've heard some good stuff about that place.

Strawberry

Yes, Open Medicine Institute, down in the San Francisco Bay area. I'm trying to gather information about what I need to do, and hopefully spring or early summer get down there.

Methylation scares me, so I think I will wait until after the doctor visit to start. Not sure yet.