• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Release of the IOM report - live webcast-2/10/2015

Nielk

This is a reminder of the public release event for the Institute of Medicine’s report Beyond Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Redefining an Illness to be held tomorrow, February 10th, at 11 AM EST.

For those attending in-person, the event will be held in Keck 100 at 500 5th Street NW, Washington DC, 20001.

A link to the webcast of the report briefing will be available on the meeting page, found here. A free downloadable PDF of the report will be available at that time by visiting www.iom.edu/mecfs.

Thank you for your interest and we look forward to your attendance.

Lynn

I just clicked on the website. It says

"Oh no! It appears as though your event host has reached the audience limit on their Blyve account. Sorry about that!"

Do you think that means we all won't be able to see the webcast?

Lynn

Lynn

Then in my my never surrender-never give up mode I pushed the arrow to play the video. Now I can see people setting up. so perhaps there is no issue.

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
I "joined" 20 minutes early. Just got this message:

"Oh no! It appears as though your event host has reached the audience limit on their Blyve account. Sorry about that!"

I'll keep trying though.

dancer

I was now able to open some of the pdf documents they posted... jumped to the bottom to see what they recommend as a new name. Here's what I found:

The Institute of Medicine (IOM) committee recommends the name
systemic exertion intolerance
disease (SEID)
for this disease. This new name captures a central characteristic of this disease—
the fact that exertion of any sort (physical, cognitive, or emotional)—can adversely affect patients in
many organ systems and....

Sidereal

The committee recommends that this disorder be renamed “systemic exertion intolerance disease” (SEID). SEID should replace myalgic encephalomyelitis/ chronic fatigue syndrome for patients who meet the criteria set forth in this report.

The term “chronic fatigue syndrome” can result in stigmatization and trivialization and should no longer be used as the name of this illness.