• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Constantly stretching legs in the night (Restless legs)

jason30

Hi all,

When Fibromyalgia is there then restless legs is there as well. This results in pain in the legs which disturb me from sleep. I am constantly stretching my legs in the night, this is really frustrating because it leads to a bad sleep.
So far only medication helps me (lyrica and muscle relaxants such as oxazepam).

I wonder if anyone recognize this and have some tips for me to calm down those legs in the night.

barbc56

I can't diagnose you but my PCP says there may be a link but no studies so take that for what its worth. I have both.

There are several medications available. It's really important to get a complete physical as well as bloodwork. If you are anemic it can make RLS/PLMD worse. It's important to get your ferretin checked as it can also make things worse and it isn't included with a standard cbc.

Have you had a sleep study? You may need that for a diagnosis.

Welcome to PR!

Barb

perchance dreamer

Magnesium and potassium both help restless legs. Also, I do an epsom salts bath at night to get even more MG, and it helps with sleep and calming my legs.

I don't have Fibro, but I do have CFS (if that's even what it is) and was diagnosed with PLMD (Restless legs at night). I was put on Iron pills to increase my ferritin levels and Mirapex. I can't say I've experienced exactly what you're describing, but from my sleep study on a good night I would awaken 24 times (unknowingly) as a result of my movements. My movements have gotten better and with it my sleep, but no changes to my fatigue levels. The iron pills made me nauseous and had little effect on my ferritin. I asked my doctor if there could be something preventing iron from converting to ferritin (iron storage) that would make this treatment ineffective. They had to take me off the iron pills to avoid blood iron toxicity, but my ferritin levels were still on the low range. The mirapex did work for me, but I constantly had to increase the dosage. I didn't have any associated pain, so I can't help with that aspect. I hope your doctor is able to figure something out. Please let me know if you find out anything on ferritin problems, it would be helpful to know I'm not the only one that is not storing enough iron and potential causes. Best of luck.

maddietod

I don't know why this is working, and maybe it's just me. But I've been moisturizing my legs for a few weeks, and I've stopped kicking at night. When I get that tingly sensation in my calves in the evening, I spray on magnesium and then apply more moisturizer, and I don't have restless legs at all any more.

barbc56

Magnesium and potassium both help restless legs. Also, I do an epsom salts bath at night to get even more MG, and it helps with sleep and calming my legs.

None of these helped me. I can't remember which, possibly the potassium, made me nauseous. I like epsom salt baths, find them relaxing but as far as my RLS goes, it's never helped. However, my rls is fairly severe and I have had it since my teens.

I tried Mirapex two different times and it was extremely helpful but unfortunately after several weeks I would start binge eating, something I have never done.

I tale Clonazepam and Tramadol for the RLS as well as the FM. However the dosage I am on now did not help until my ferritin levels were raised. Supplementation didn't help, bothered my stomach, possibly not absorbing it. I was referred to a hematologist and had an iron infusion. That was over four years ago and my ferritin level is still normal.

I do have to be careful about drinking caffeine later in the day as well as stay on the meds.

Good luck.

Barb

Last edited:

jason30

I can't diagnose you but my PCP says there may be a link but no studies so take that for what its worth. I have both.

There are several medications available. It's really important to get a complete physical as well as bloodwork. If you are anemic it can make RLS/PLMD worse. It's important to get your ferretin checked as it can also make things worse and it isn't included with a standard cbc.

Have you had a sleep study? You may need that for a diagnosis.

Welcome to PR!

Barb

Thanks Barb, in my last blood test my Hemoglobin was a little bit higher. I have read that a common reason for an increased hemoglobin is the reaction of the body to a reduced supply of oxygen to the organs. As a result, in the bone marrow to increase the production of red blood cells, so that the hemoglobin concentration is increased.
MCHC (mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration) is also a little bit higher.

I guess that the reduced oxygen to the organs is not really good for me?

I will look into ferretin.

Thanks for the tip, is there an particular magnesium form which helps with the restless legs?

I don't have Fibro, but I do have CFS (if that's even what it is) and was diagnosed with PLMD (Restless legs at night). I was put on Iron pills to increase my ferritin levels and Mirapex. I can't say I've experienced exactly what you're describing, but from my sleep study on a good night I would awaken 24 times (unknowingly) as a result of my movements. My movements have gotten better and with it my sleep, but no changes to my fatigue levels. The iron pills made me nauseous and had little effect on my ferritin. I asked my doctor if there could be something preventing iron from converting to ferritin (iron storage) that would make this treatment ineffective. They had to take me off the iron pills to avoid blood iron toxicity, but my ferritin levels were still on the low range. The mirapex did work for me, but I constantly had to increase the dosage. I didn't have any associated pain, so I can't help with that aspect. I hope your doctor is able to figure something out. Please let me know if you find out anything on ferritin problems, it would be helpful to know I'm not the only one that is not storing enough iron and potential causes. Best of luck.

Thanks Kristy, i will do soon a ferritin blood test.
Are your ferritin levels still low?

I don't know why this is working, and maybe it's just me. But I've been moisturizing my legs for a few weeks, and I've stopped kicking at night. When I get that tingly sensation in my calves in the evening, I spray on magnesium and then apply more moisturizer, and I don't have restless legs at all any more.

Thanks Madie, which magnesium form do you spray? Hmm i don't know if a moisturizer will help me but i can always test it out. :)

None of these helped me. I can't remember which, possibly the potassium, made me nauseous. I like epsom salt baths, find them relaxing but as far as my RLS goes, it's never helped. However, my rls is fairly severe and I have had it since my teens.

I tried Mirapex two different times and it was extremely helpful but unfortunately after several weeks I would start binge eating, something I have never done.

I tale Clonazepam and Tramadol for the RLS as well as the FM. However the dosage I am on now did not help until my ferritin levels were raised. Supplementation didn't help, bothered my stomach, possibly not absorbing it. I was referred to a hematologist and had an iron infusion. That was over four years ago and my ferritin level is still normal.

I do have to be careful about drinking caffeine later in the day as well as stay on the meds.

Good luck.

Barb

That goes for me too, i drink coffee before PM reaches. I also get more complaints of RSL when i use my antihistaminic meds.

@jason30
Yes, my ferritin levels are still low, but my last sleep study showed improvement in my movements. My vitamin D levels were also borderline low. I am actually going to ask my doctor to retest both next month because I've been having troubles sleeping again. My lowest was about 17ng/mL and highest was in the 30s, I was told that for an RLS/PLMD diagnosis above 75 ng/mL is ideal. The reference range is 18–160 ng/mL for women depending on the lab, but I was informed that the low end of the range is mostly found is extreme athletes.

maddietod

I use Life-Flo pure magnesium oil.

I asked a massage therapist about the moisturizer, and she said yes, that works. I have very dry skin, and apparently over time that does something to the nerves causing the kind of twitching and burning I get.

barbc56

My hematologist said that your ferritin levels should be at least 120.

Benydryl also worsens my RLS. I get the same thing taking other antihistamines.

Barb

ETA The hematologist said that one possibility my ferritin was low was from years of untreated sleep apnea which can reduce your oxygen levels.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986

There is something called "easy iron" which I have taken and a family member was given for chemo.
It's a form that also has some other vits in w. it and did not cause any nausea or upset that regular iron tabs have.
Had to be purchased at health food store.
Maybe this would help you .

jason30

I have heard that applying magnesium oil to the legs will also reduce restless legs. Anyone experienced that before?

liverock

@kristysmiles

Hi Kristy

A few things that can affect iron levels:
Hypothyroidism
Low B12
IBS

http://www.traceelements.com/Docs/The Nutritional Relationships of Iron.pdf

Strangely enough lack of sleep can cause poor iron absorption.
Tested levels can also vary throughout the day with evening levels being up to 50% higher.

Heavy metals antagonize iron absorption, including lead (Pb),mercury (Hg),copper(Cu) and cadmium (Cd)
which may be relevant if you have just come back from Iraq.(see the mineral wheel in the article)

No doubt you have been tested for Depleted Uranium and found clear. I am not convinced that any test can reveal DU except in blood serum, not in the tissues where it eventually lodges. Most who have been affected have suffered lung and reproductive area problems. As you no doubt are aware, the DU is in the air you breathe in Iraq, where thousands of tons where released in the 2 wars and it has a half life of billions of years, so it never degrades.

As you seem to be having trouble with menstruation, if your estrogen levels are elevated causing you to miss periods this could elevate copper levels which would antagonize iron absorption.

It might help to know your estrogen levels if you have not already had them tested.

This article will show methods of helping lower DU body levels.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/08/08/the-newest-heavy-metal-threat.aspx

Last edited: