• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

any experience with kavinace?

SwanRonson

Kavinace is very expensive so I'm wondering if anyone has had success with it before plunking down nearly $50. Any input is welcome.

SwanRonson

This has phenibut in it which is as addictive as a benzo. So no way would I take this everyday.

Glad I asked. Thanks for the info. Right now I'm using a combo of Deep Sleep, taurine, ornithine, l-theanine and mag-oxide. Was looking for something else to add to the mix. I'll skip the Kavinace.

Gondwanaland

Glad I asked. Thanks for the info. Right now I'm using a combo of Deep Sleep, taurine, ornithine, l-theanine and mag-oxide. Was looking for something else to add to the mix. I'll skip the Kavinace.
In addition to mag oxide, S. boulardii helped to reduce inflammation, but the trick is to take onnly one capsule per month, otherwise it will worsen constipation. On top of that what definetly helped me was vitamin A to solubilize calcium. After 5 weekely doses last Oct-Nov I only get insomnia if I make a mistake that will mess up with my adrenals.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Look into Passion flower and kava. I switch them off with a boatload of other stuff.

Also look into otc antihistamines. I use doxylamine and chlortrimetron. I alternate everything so I don't get tolerance.

I'm past the point of anything besides rx's working. It's all about layering for me.

Oh are you using l theanine or suntheanine? Suntheanine is standardized. I use doctors best.

And heapsreal has luck with yucca.

perchance dreamer

@SwanRonson, have you ever tried epsom salt baths for sleep? It's such an inexpensive thing to try.

I use 2 1/2 cups of epsom salts, which is magnesium sulfate, and soak for 15 minutes in the bath. I also sometimes use magnesium chloride salts instead, but they are more expensive. I do find the effect a little stronger, though.

Magnesium is very calming and best absorbed through the skin.

I did read on another thread that some people have problems with epsom salts, but maybe it's worth a shot. I think they are people who have problems with sulphur.

Also, 3000 mg of glycine before bed helps me. If you tried the caps and they worked, you could buy glycine in bulk, which would make it really inexpensive.

This is the brand of capsules I use. Most glycine caps are only 500 MG:

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Extensio...1076&sr=1-2&keywords=1000+MG+glycine+capsules

SwanRonson

have you ever tried epsom salt baths for sleep? It's such an inexpensive thing to try.

Thanks @perchance dreamer , I actually used to take Epsom Salts baths every night before bed until the nutritionist I see told me to stop because of excess sulfate. Maybe I'll switch and try the chloride salts instead.

I haven't tried glycine. Are there any potential negatives from glycine?

Gondwanaland

How much was each "dose"? I get lots of Vit A from my kale/spinach-rich diet right now.
10,000 iu from cod liver oil, so it was pre-formed vit A (the kind that can become toxic) and not beta carotenes like in vegetables. Your body will ony convert beta carotenes into vit A if needed. I think that the little excess I got from supplementation did the trick, and the good effect remained after the undesired side effects wore down (increased hair loss, a bit of thyroid overstimulation, short impact on the adrenals).

caledonia

I've used Kavinace before. It was sort of mildly relaxing, but not really that helpful. To be fair, this was during a horrendous SSRI withdrawal syndrome, where my adrenals were five times higher than normal, so nothing was really helping that much.

Kavinace is not supposed to be addictive and I was able to start it and stop it without any problems, as well as mix it with other meds and supplements. I was taking it for a lot longer than three days, probably more like six months.

eon

I'm curious how you people have heard of Kavinace? Was it recommended by a doctor? Someone told me that her doctor who has another practice recommended her Kavinace, but it isn't covered by insurance and these products put out by Neuro Science can get expensive when you can get the bulk powders at powdercity.com for less. Kavinace is nothing more than vitamin B6, phenibut, and taurine something I already have/had for less than $10 when the 120 bottle pill being sold is $78. I think what Neuro Science www.neurorelief.com are selling is a naturopath type of nutraceuticals. If you go to that site they seem to be selling only directly to physicians who want to make income on the side considering it's only sold directly from company to physician etc. but not directly to consumers. Strange but the products are available online everywhere you look at a jacked up price. Not sure why the doctor told her about the other practice (outside of insurance jurisdiction), seems as if a way for the doctor to make a side income on the down low?

That's like a doctor saying "the pharmaceutical grade drugs are OK but I have something else that may work better, so look at some herbals at my other practice" (which isn't covered by insurance). The products may even have to be bought from the physicians directly or some affiliate that may give commission to the doctor (as a side income). Look at the site tell me your opinion if anything I said is on point. Not sure if anything is fishy at this point other than the prices. The products seems to have legitimate ingredient/blends but the prices are high and the way the operation/scheme is played out is a bit sketchy especially being recommended by a doctor and considering it's not covered by insurance tells me the doctor has VERY SPECIAL INTEREST IN IT (this could only mean money). There is nothing wrong with that but it is sketchy in my opinion.

Last edited:

SwanRonson

I think your intuitions are correct. My local naturopaths are very much in the business of selling NeuroScience products. They are shockingly expensive.

I've had much success with "Deep Sleep". And, it's about 1/3rd the cost of Kavinace, without the possible addiction problems.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I've had much success with "Deep Sleep". And, it's about 1/3rd the cost of Kavinace, without the possible addiction problems.
I didn't have much luck with Kavinace either. Deep Sleep works very well for me but I just had a "light bulb" realization. I was taking it at the same time as LDN, but having just talked to the representative from the Deep Sleep manufacturer, realized that the most active ingredient, California Poppy, is a very weak opiate and so I am now longer taking it anywhere near LDN.

Sushi

eon

Glad to know my intuition was correct. I had a strong feeling about it. If anyone knows, do doctors get a commission for medications they prescribe either from the rep or direct from the pharmaceuticals (and their rep, etc.). Anyone know how the prescription drug business work?

I took Kavinace and had a terrible experience. The first night it did nothing. My doctor told me to double it the second night and the next day I felt awful...not the groggy hung over feeling you can get from sleep aides. I actually felt achy and sick. I had muscle spasms in my neck and head. My doctor said to go back to the normal dose and just kep taking it. 3 nights later I got some better sleep, and felt a little more energy during the day. The next day, however, I felt a little poorly. The next day, it was worse, and seemed like it was like how I felt after taking the double dose...just not as pronounced. I tried one more night and the next day it was worse..felt the same as after taking the double dose, so I quit. Only this time I did not feel better the next day. Maybe slightly better. Over the course of a week I began to be less achy and have more energy. But it has been 8 months and I have not been the same since. Never got my full energy back. Can barely do anything without getting extremely worn out. And then still worn out for a few days. I was low energy before the Kavinace, but I still managed to do plenty of average, everyday things (go to grocery store, cook meals, go for walks on the boardwalk, host dinner parties, etc). But now I can't do much of anything. I do t know what happened, but I wish I had never taken Kavinace.