• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IOM report release date 10 Feb 2015

Nielk

Rich Carson just tweeted:

Coming from the top: "the name 'chronic fatigue syndrome' is about to change, and it's not going to be myalgic encephalomyelitis"

NK17

Regarding name of the illness, remember that Dr Klimas, Bateman, Chu, Rowe, and Ron Davis were on the committee and would not let ridiculous names fly.
This is exactly what I've been thinking and hanging on to since the committee members were announced @Kati.
I can't think of somebody such as Prof. Ron Davis, just to pick the one I had the great pleasure to meet and talk to, whose son has one of the most severe ME cases, bow down to bureaucrats and non experts.
Also Dr. Chu is a fellow sufferer and she will stand up and fight for our rights, like only somebody who's walking in our shoes can and does.
My hope is that the new name will reflect the gravity of the illness, which Cfs most certainly has never done.

Ember

With ICD-10-CM going into effect in October, what would the effect of a name change be?

If You Mean M.E., Just Say M.E.!
Posted by Mary Kindel on January 05, 2015
The ICD has variations in each country. In the US, it's called ICD-CM. In the current version, ICD-9-CM, ME is not classified in the tabular listing of diseases, meaning it doesn’t “exist”. I’ve heard of only a handful of ME patients in the US able to get diagnosed with ME. Everyone else has been diagnosed with CFS.

Luckily for us, this has been rectified in the ICD-10-CM, which goes into effect Oct. 1 2015. G93.3 (the code for ME), will then be listed in the tabular listing of diseases making it officially "exist". The timing could not be better. We need to start using it!

It also has an Exclude1 for CFS (R53.82). The same with CFS – it has an Exclude1 for ME. This means you can't be diagnosed with both ME and CFS at the same time. ME G93.3 is listed under neurological diseases. CFS R53.82 is listed under Symptoms, Signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified. So – the ICD-10-CM officially states that ME and CFS two separate diseases, classified in two different categories, each mutually exclusive of each other.

Wally

With ICD-10-CM going into effect in October, what would the effect of a name change be?
I was wondering the same thing.

Does anyone know where Gulf War Syndrome was coded and did this change when it received a new name?

Wally

Nielk said:
Rich Carson just tweeted:
Coming from the top: "the name 'chronic fatigue syndrome' is about to change, and it's not going to be myalgic encephalomyelitis"
Any thoughts on who sits on the throne at the "Top" to bless such a change, as well as who controls what is presented to the "Top" for said blessing?
No one willing to throw a few names into the stew pot? :meh: :zippit:

I think those in the ME/CFS Community who have dared to stir the pot may have a better idea than most as to who the ultimate puppeteer(s) of this show might be. :devil: :alien:

Two ME (CFS) authors have dared to express their opinions on this subject, perhaps we should watch carefully as the events unfold over the next couple of weeks to make sure the court jesters do not try to dazzle our focus away while our pockets are being picked. :cautious: :sleep:

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
O.K. I was not going to do this, but I see that there may be a need for some additional humor on why names and abbreviations for names must be selected very carefully or we could end up with a name that leaves us open to shenanigans and ridicule.
I kid you not. There were twins in my brother's class at school called Alistair and Peter, surname Ness. Roll call. Snigger.

Now, grow up!

Denise

It seems this is the final agenda for the IOM public briefing (Tuesday 10 Feb 2015):

https://www.iom.edu/~/media/Files/A...ECFS/Public Briefing Agenda_Final version.pdf
upload_2015-2-6_19-33-59.png

The only changes I notice are
Welcome and Introduction by Jennifer Walsh
and it seems that Jennifer Walsh will lead the Q&A.

Ember

Does anyone know where Gulf War Syndrome was coded and did this change when it received a new name?

The two situations aren't the same. According to Wikipedia:
Medical ailments associated with Gulf War syndrome have been recognized by both the Department of Defense and the Department of Veterans Affairs.[1] Since so little concrete information was known about this condition the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) originally classified individuals with related ailments believed to be connected to their service in the Persian Gulf a special non-ICD-9 code DX111, as well as ICD-9 code V65.5.[9] There is no formal definition of the term "Gulf War syndrome" or "Gulf War illnesses".[10]
Rich Carson tweeted on 2/4/15 : "Coming from the top: "the name 'chronic fatigue syndrome' is about to change, and it's not going to be myalgic encephalomyelitis".
If the IOM rejects the ICC for ME, will their criteria be supported by better evidence?
Specifically the IOM will:
  • Conduct a study to identify the evidence for various diagnostic clinical criteria of ME/CFS using a process with stakeholder input, including practicing clinicians and patients;
  • Develop evidence-based clinical diagnostic criteria for ME/CFS for use by clinicians, using a consensus-building methodology;
  • Recommend whether new terminology for ME/CFS should be adopted;
  • Develop an outreach strategy to disseminate the definition nationwide to health professionals.

Ecoclimber

Last edited:

taniaaust1

Chronic malingerers' disorder? :eek: (If we have low expectations then we won't be disappointed.) :confused:

or "exhaustion disease" That would annoy me as much as the CFS name. I dont want to see a name which focuses just on a symptom as this illness is systematic. (oh is systematic a word?)

I'll accept something like Multi-systematic Disease .. MSD

Im quite concerned over what they could of changed the name too if this is about to occur as thou I do have ME, my doctors call it CFS.

They best have also called it something we can at least remember and pronouce if they arent going to accept ME. I can image a doctor going "what illness you have?" and a ME/CFS person saying "I dont know as I cant say it". It would be a sneaky way to try to make an illness vanish, if no one could talk about it.

Nielk

From IOM website for Tuesday's event:

Can the public ask questions during the public release event?

Webcast attendees may write in and ask questions to the committee during the event. Information on how to submit questions will be available shortly before the event begins at 11:00 a.m. on February 10, 2015 on the public release webpage.

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
How ironic a tweet over the IOM 2015, reports CFS is not going to be an 'ME' as if this was ever an option?
CFS never was ME to begin with so nothing has changed! Yes, we'll all be glad to see the back end of CFS, but I imagine the other end of the pantomime horse will be equally ugly, despite it's re-branding. NB: As long as brain and body inflammation remains the focus, then ME will never die, as much as many want it to. You can disappear a name, but no the patients. Not all of them.

From what I can see there is a complex set of tactics at play with IOM redefining CFS just in time before the pathogen(s) are published in 2015 and onwards in people who are alleged to fear exercising by belief in a persistent physical cause when seriously ill (common sense reasoning not faulty illness beliefs). Those in control know the 'CFS' patients contain specific embarrassing pathogens. These were hidden within CFS historically. They appear to be often tissue bound and require new technologies to detect.

Since the 'XMRV' story we have seen a lot of disinfo flood the British press. It is well known that Psy-ops tactics are used in the media as a tool for propaganda (The common tactic in use is to stress a victim you need to evoke a behavioral change in, to make them more compliant. The preferred option is humiliation and de-humanization through persistent psychological stress.

As luck would have it,
psychiatrists know how to do this best, they are experts in the human mind. The British media are experts at this, with atrocious lies written about 'ME recoveries' using the most absurd claims, all non evidence based. (The Americans tend to stay well out as there is no socialized health care system to utilize the disinfo outcome at a clinical level. Americans can also have the option of private health care away from the BPS model of psychiatry).

If we look at what comes before and after P2P IOM things get interesting.

CFS patients can be re-housed within the newly offered label after a media blitz humiliating them with claims they fear exercise and are generally not authentically sick. Do not research their infection by blocking funding (as done for decades by refusal for grants). The ME CFS patients will be so broken, they will accept anything better than the constant hatred they experience in the press and lack of medical care in the community.

Deletion of CFS historically, and all future research of the CFS phenomena ends tomorrow. (IOM re-branding Gulf War Syndrome is an example). Exposure to allied BW (air born) given to Saddam by military is de-associated to symptoms in infected ex soldiers. Symptoms become unspecific, causation: no single cause, no liability from armed forces employers who sent soldiers to the battle ground, who ironically in battle were with pathogens they created originally. Did they infect others when returning home?

The specific pathogen infected ex-CFS patients will flock to the new name, unaware by doing so, sees the demise of 'CFS' legally and thus they can now no longer easily sue for damages because CFS was thus never associated to Pathogen 'X' in time (what the IOM P2P can be used for and curiously only appears after Mikovits stirred the hornets nest and put CFS on the global map). Perfect timing then for a re-branded label that banishes the actual ME CFS experts before hand to create the re-definition to steer away from ME pathology. Easy.

The ex CFS cohorts with a shiny new name remain clueless and unaware they are infectious to other people, namely family members. Numbers continue to rise. Numbers become so common, the newly branded CFS is just accepted as part of life, as Autism and Asperger's now is. 'Mystery ME' over decades now becomes common. Common is less scary. Common sounds reasonably harmless. Inflammation of brain/spinal cord will 100% not be associated in the new name for CFS. Of course, that's the whole point!

ME could become a fringe movement of alleged conspiracy theorists who 'believe' they have 'something else' other than the newly branded CFS (that 80% of ex CFS patients now welcome). Will ME's be said to be in denial and won't accept it ME doesn't exist? You bet. These patients will be easily further disenfranchised from others, exactly what is needed to control the knowledge that a 'tiny percentage' of ME patients have a newly discovered infection.

Thus, no large studies may be publicly funded for the 'ME' to achieve the pathogen becoming detected in the 'majority' of ME, thus it can never be the cause if this occurs, as ME doesn't exist any more. No single cause. As the MRC National Archives discuss, as Reeves et al, talk about is the 'preferable outcome' for CFS. No conspiracy theory, just awkward fact.

Now that is the plan, except one glaring problem. Good quality independent repeatable science studies away from HHS/CDC/NIH, can end all that, and that is why there is always hope. :balloons: . If we can get multiple groups, from multiple countries (ideally) all finding the same thing, well we have some genuine opportunities for a better future.

Hopefully we will move from 'fear of exercise' to fear of physicians getting sued for suggesting CBT and GE is evidence based to clients with ME, when ME is shown to harbor transmissible agents - as it appears to be it will be in at least some.