• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B-Complex Assembly Questions

For those who put together their own version of a B-Complex, do you have any recommendations for starting places for brands and doses?

I'm planning to try the NatureMade B-Complex with C (per one capsule):
15mg B1 (as Thiamin Mononitrate)
10.2mg B2 (Riboflavin)
50mg B3 (Niacin as Niacinamide)
5mg B6 (as Pyriodoxine Hydrochloride)
10mg Pantothenic Acid (as d-Calcium Pantothenate)

And, if I understand correctly, it's missing biotin and p-5-p (anything else?). Does brand on either of those matter? And are there any suggestions on how to go about dosing?

Thanks!

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
It does not have biotin. It already has B6 (which becomes P5P as long as there is enough B2 present) - but it has a pretty small amount of B6.

If you want additional P5P Source Naturals has tablets that can be split up.

This is a decent b-complex and an excellent value for the $. A better B-complex is B-minus .. or if you want a premium one with B12 and methylfolate there's B Healthy

A better B-complex is B-minus ..
Tried this one and it's got too much niacin for me, meaning it causes flushing even when I take it with food, so I'm assuming that's too much niacin for me.

... if you want a premium one with B12 and methylfolate there's B Healthy
The amounts for B1 and B2 look pretty high in this for me. I know that Pure Encapsulations B-Complex (100mg B1 and 5mg B2) made me need tons of folate.

If you want additional P5P Source Naturals has tablets that can be split up.
Perfect, now I just need to find some biotin.

Thanks so much @Sherpa!

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@sheclimber I was just looking that one on Amazon and some comments were it tasted horrible.

I just posted about a B Complex before I saw this.

What's one that doesn't taste or smell horrible?

ahmo

I've been using this Swanson's B Complex. I use a capsule machine and split the caps in half, take 1/2 early AM, 1/2 midday.

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-activated-b-complex-high-bioavailability-60-veg-caps

Thiamin (vitamin B-1) (as benfotiamine) 25 mg 1,667%
Riboflavin (as riboflavin 5'-phosphate) 25 mg 1,471%
Niacin (as inositol hexanicotinate) 50 mg 250%
Vitamin B-6 (as pyridoxal 5-phosphate) 25 mg 1,250%
Folate (as Quatrefolic® [6S]-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic acid equivalent to 800 mcg of [6S]-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic acid, glucosamine salt) 400 mcg 100%
Vitamin B-12 (as methylcobalamin) 250 mcg 4,167%
Biotin 25 mcg 8%
Choline (as choline dihydrogen citrate) 25 mg *
PABA (para-aminobenzoic acid) 25 mg *
Pantethine (coenzyme A precursor)(from Pantesin® 55% pantethine) 25 mg *
Inositol (from inositol hexanicotinate) 12.5 mg *

Other ingredients: Microcrystalline cellulose (plant fiber), cellulose (vegetable capsule), may contain one or both of the following: magnesium stearate, silica.

Sherpa

Tried this one [B-minus] and it's got too much niacin for me, meaning it causes flushing even when I take it with food, so I'm assuming that's too much niacin for me. !

Hey @sheclimber thanks so much for pointing out the flushing effect in B-minus!

I have been taking a full capsule since Sunday and getting a "fever" every morning , despite having totally normal body temperature. It was making me really paranoid & OCD about getting sick as I'm soon leaving on a trip. I think I can deal with it the sensation knowing what it is.

I was not able to connect the dots until I remembered your post! Thanks, PhoenixRising, for saving the day.

Hey @sheclimber thanks so much for pointing out the flushing effect in B-minus!

I have been taking a full capsule since Sunday and getting a "fever" every morning , despite having totally normal body temperature. It was making me really paranoid & OCD about getting sick as I'm soon leaving on a trip. I think I can deal with it the sensation knowing what it is.

I was not able to connect the dots until I remembered your post! Thanks, PhoenixRising, for saving the day.

I have the same experience when I take it with food. My husband even said to me, "you're so hot, I hope you're not getting a fever." When I take it without food, I turn bright red and have horrible red splotched down my arms.

Sherpa

Can inositol hexanicotinate cause flushing? The Seeking Health rep says it contains 150mg inositol hexanicotinate and 30mg niacin.

Victronix

My experience with the NatureMade B-Complex with C was that my B6 levels maxed out. If you are eating anything with B6 already, like turkey or bananas, you are at risk for high B6 with that brand.

I now just take Bs individually from Source Naturals and buy them on iherb.

Can inositol hexanicotinate cause flushing? The Seeking Health rep says it contains 150mg inositol hexanicotinate and 30mg niacin.

my understanding is that niacinamide is the only "flush-free" niacin. time-released delivery can affect flushing as well, but b-minus doesn't have that.

My experience with the NatureMade B-Complex with C was that my B6 levels maxed out. If you are eating anything with B6 already, like turkey or bananas, you are at risk for high B6 with that brand.

I now just take Bs individually from Source Naturals and buy them on iherb.

i'm curious how you knew that your B6 levels were maxed out - did it produce specific symptoms?

Also wondering about amount - how much B6 do you take now? There's only 5 mg in the NatureMade B-Complex with C.

garyfritz

Inositol hexanicotinate should not cause flushing unless you take really huge doses. I took large doses of inositol hexanicotinate years ago, without flushing problems, and same with many people I knew were taking the same supplement. Apparently it takes a while for your body to disassemble the six niacins from the inositol.

My question is: should we be taking niacin at all? I understood that niacin shuts down methylation, and you can use it if you get into an over methylated situation. If we are under methylated, which many MTHFR people are, is niacin doing the wrong thing for us?

Inositol hexanicotinate should not cause flushing unless you take really huge doses. I took large doses of inositol hexanicotinate years ago, without flushing problems, and same with many people I knew were taking the same supplement. Apparently it takes a while for your body to disassemble the six niacins from the inositol.

I did more research and came across this same info, but my experience doesn't concur. One capuse of B-minus on an empty stomach caused significant, undeniable flushing in me that lasted for 20-30 minutes. I suppose I could have had an allergic reaction to it, but when I take it with food the flushing was much less severe, so that doesn't make much sense.

My question is: should we be taking niacin at all? I understood that niacin shuts down methylation, and you can use it if you get into an over methylated situation. If we are under methylated, which many MTHFR people are, is niacin doing the wrong thing for us?

I too have this question, though I think I remember reading in the forums that niacin can limit methylation if it's deficient as well, but don't quote me on that. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can speak to this.

garyfritz

I did more research and came across this same info, but my experience doesn't concur. One capuse of B-minus on an empty stomach caused significant, undeniable flushing in me that lasted for 20-30 minutes.
The ingredient list at seekinghealth.com says it contains 180mg of inositol hexanicotinate AND niacin, but not the amounts of each. Maybe the plain niacin caused your flush? Inositol heaxnicontinate CAN cause flushing, but I don't think the amounts in B-minus should do it. And BTW it's a harmless reaction, and it will generally go away after your body adjusts to the higher amounts of niacin.

And BTW it's a harmless reaction, and it will generally go away after your body adjusts to the higher amounts of niacin.

I've read here that niacin in excess will slow down methylation and/or create insatiable needs for folate - do you agree with this?

Also, @Sherpa said earlier in this thread: "Can inositol hexanicotinate cause flushing? The Seeking Health rep says it contains 150mg inositol hexanicotinate and 30mg niacin." I may contact the NatureMade rep to see what form is in there, because it has 50mg niacin total and I don't experience any flushing with that.

garyfritz

I've read similar things about niacin, @sheclimber, but I don't know anything about it. I haven't had any problems.

If the SH product only contains 30mg niacin, I'm surprised it would cause flushing...