• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Liver and The Deadlock Quartet

mgk

I was reading through the Deadlock Quartet Symptom List and came across this interesting anecdote by @Freddd:
My grandfather was kept reasonably healthy for decades by an old German cook whose “nerve tonic” stew slowed down his ALS. He was diagnosed in 1942 and died in 1973 after my grandmother got lung cancer and he was moved to a nursing home. He survived 6 months after the end of the nerve tonic stew. He was served every day a “stew” that was made by extracting all the good stuff from 5 pounds of liver daily and adding meat and veggies. He was being given every day the miracle working “protein mystery factor” which was liver extract and misidentified as CyCbl when actually it was MeCbl, AdoCbl, l-methylfolate and carnitine (the natural form of the deadlock quartet) plus all sorts of other vitamins.

In my own journey to regaining health, I'd read several books about chronic conditions, health, and diet. One of them recommended bone broth, liver, and eggs as supplemental foods, and I had experimented with adding them to my diet. My experience with liver is memorable because it made me feel really well at first, but then I felt like I had gotten food poisoning the next few days and I haven't had the guts to try it since. In retrospect, I think I was experiencing folate deficiency symptoms.

Once the food poisoning-like symptoms had gone away, I was left feeling worse than before I tried the liver, and I kept trying to figure out why. That eventually led me here, and I keep discovering new things, and feeling better every day. I'm really grateful to all of you for posting your stories and sharing your knowledge.

Tammy

How long were you eating the liver before you felt like you got food poisoning? Did you include vegies? I have always been interested in trying to obtain b-12 this way (liver) rather than supplements. My scale is just too easily tipped . If I do decide to include liver in my diet it will only be organic from grass fed cows or perhaps bison (if possible) and I won't be eating it every day. I wonder how they extracted all the good stuff from the liver? What was the method? I remember reading about an old recipe that described beef juice as medicine. Take a good piece of steak, put in a jar and place in boiling water.........only drink the juice..........or rather sip the juice throughout the day.

Last edited:

mgk

How long were you eating the liver before you felt like you got food poisoning?
Actually, I just checked my journal and it looks like I tried it twice (each a week apart).

The first time it made me feel better than I had in a long time. I remember walking around one of my favorite parks, something I hadn't done in a while.

The second time is when I got the food-poisoning symptoms. After I ate it, I felt good for the rest of the day, like I had the prior week. But I woke up in the middle of the night with abdominal pain and had to use the bathroom. After that, the abdominal pain continued and I couldn't tolerate most things for the next 3 days. During that time I survived on boiled potatoes, boiled chicken, and rice.

Did you include vegies?
Yes, but not a lot. I would fry the liver (cut to small pieces) in butter with onions, garlic, salt, and pepper. Then eat it with some tomatoes, cucumbers, roasted potatoes, and wilted spinach on the side.

I wonder how they extracted all the good stuff from the liver? What was the method?
I don't know, but I'm guessing it's similar to the process used to make those desiccated liver supplements (dehydration and grinding). Maybe @Freddd can speak to this?

Freddd

I don't know, but I'm guessing it's similar to the process used to make those desiccated liver supplements (dehydration and grinding). Maybe @Freddd can speak to this?

I remember what my grandmother and her cook went through each day. They started a new pot of liver cut up into pieces and simmered. Then they blenderized it. Then squeezed all the juices out. Then simmered it more in fresh water and ground it even finer and squeezed all the juices out with a jelly bag, over and over. The other pot was just simmering the juices down. Eventually all that was left was sort of translucent cell and tissue debris and fat and all the connective tissue. The juices were like thick meat gravy. They started with 5 pounds of liver each day Then all the usual stuff for stew was added. He ate a dish of this at every meal, and it was most of what he ate, for 30 years. The "pernicious anemia" fear factor diet was 2 liters of raw pureed liver at that time.

I took 100 desiccated liver tablets every day for 2 years. It took 6 months to "turn the lights on" and they always turned off with the next illness, usually a month or two. With the Enzymatic Therapy MeCbl it took 15 minutes with the first tablet sublingual to "turn the lights on", they have never gone off in nearly 12 years and except for a minor cold or two I haven't been sick in nearly 12 years.

Tammy

@Freddd .............Did you take anything else pertaining to the deadlock quartet when you were taking the dessicated liver tablets? Amazing story by the way about your grandfather with ALS living that long. My Dad had ALS and lasted only two years.............sorry off topic. Have you ever thought about posting grandfather's recipe in an ALS support sight?

Last edited:

Freddd

@Freddd .............Did you take anything else pertaining to the deadlock quartet when you were taking the dessicated liver tablets? Amazing story by the way about your grandfather with ALS living that long. My Dad had ALS and lasted only two years.............sorry off topic. Have you ever thought about posting grandfather's recipe in an ALS support sight?

HI Tammy,

I have posted it to an ALS board along with the Deadlock Quartet info. At the time I did the desiccated liver trial, 1979-1981, I was taking all the basics including a b-complex with folic acid and CyCbl, and including an early high gamma E and lecithin. I don't think the Salmon Oil was available yet but if it was I was taking it. I've had a clue in the CblC disease reading I did saying that something about the genetic effects made the descending motor neurons especially vulnerable to damage.

Wayne

I made an inadvertent discovery a few days ago. I ate quite a large amount of grass-fed organic beef liver on Sunday. I'd been feeling horrible for several days, and my intuition literally catapulted me out the door that morning to buy some. After eating it, I began to experience a remarkable sense of being "grounded". I felt so much better, so I then perused some reviews of various grass-fed organic organ supplements on Amazon, and was struck by the variety of results people have gotten from taking them.

These benefits included better sleep, better hair, and skin, and probably most prominantly, better energy levels. Some said their autoimmune conditions got better, and a lot of other comments indicated a new kind of homeostasis for their bodies. Even though I ate that liver on Sunday, I'm still feeling the positive effects today. So I decided to search the forum for whatever else might have been posted on the topic.

I first discovered that Nexavir is actually a porcine liver extract. I'd always thought it was an prescription anti-viral, so I never bothered to learn more about it--I have to compartmentalize a lot! :rolleyes: I perused a few other threads until I found this one. @Fredd, I'm amazed to hear your account of large batches of liver being prepared on a daily basis for daily consumption. It's given me a greater confidence my increased sense of well being actually was a result of the liver I ate.

I had been considering whether to eat much more, not sure how much might be too much. But I feel a lot more comfortable hearing how some people--especially apparently those who very much need it--can eat it on a daily basis and thrive on it. I hope by bumping up this thread, others may chime in on what their experience has been with liver or other organ meats, whether prepared as food or taken as a supplement. -- Thanks!

Tammy

This is an old thread........almost 4 yrs. My opinion has changed about eating any liver products or supplements after reading Liver Rescue by Anthony William. Most comprehensive book on the liver I've ever come across. The liver stores so many toxins from so many things.........just not food. It's basically a warehouse for toxins.

Last edited: