• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low B12---normal MMA results

Idie

My friend has many symtoms of B12 deficiency. Fatigue, Dizzy, Numbness and tingling, shortness of breath, headaches, etc. Her B12 Blood Serum was 264 so her doctor did the MMA test. Her result was 20 which the results on her lab results said was normal (less than 40 is normal). So based on this, her doctor ruled out a B12 deficiency because the MMA was good. Wow. My friend has significant B12 deficiency symptoms and a low blood serum level but the MMA result convinced her physician that she does not have a B12 problem when it is clear from her symtpoms that she does. What do you make of this?

Martial

Get her to a better doctor and get some b12 injections, a doctor should supervise her for that ongoingly though. A lot of people actually get severe hypokalemia if they have overt b12 deficiencies when it is introduced in the system again. It is important to watch that as some have actually died from cardiac arrest as a result of the electrical heart rhythm changes hypokalemia produces.

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
Get her to a better doctor and get some b12 injections, a doctor should supervise her for that ongoingly though. A lot of people actually get severe hypokalemia if they have overt b12 deficiencies when it is introduced in the system again. It is important to watch that as some have actually died from cardiac arrest as a result of the electrical heart rhythm changes hypokalemia produces.

Ok thats scary :p

Can someone explain why you still can be b12 deficient with normal MMA? I had b12 at 289 and MMA at 0.14..

Idie

Bumping this back up to see if anyone else can provide more perspective. My friend started on the deadlock quartet and is improving.