• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Magnesium - has anyone found that a magnesium supplement worked?

Mij

It depends on how deficient you are and how well it's absorbed. I took mg glycinate for many years with no improvement. I started taking IM injections and only then did I notice a huge improvement.

halcyon

I prefer Pure Encapsulations brand but it's a little more expensive. I also use PureBulk magnesium glycinate in my drinking water. I agree that magnesium glycinate is well absorbed, it's never caused me any bowel disturbance.

I'm not sure what symptoms you are asking about it making a difference with, but I use it to keep muscle twitching to a minimum and it also seems to mildly decrease anxiety. The effect on both is pretty immediate.

Last edited:

Bansaw

I am thinking of getting the bulk supplements one and dissolving it in water.
I've been taking their Aceytl-L-Carnitine for a few months and it really affects me (positively).
On the other hand I do have white Zinc deficiency spots on my nails ... and this is even after taking zinc everyday. I am sure I have an absorption issue somewhere. However, the bulk supplements dissolved do seem to work for me better.

Gondwanaland

On the other hand I do have white Zinc deficiency spots on my nails ... and this is even after taking zinc everyday. I am sure I have an absorption issue somewhere.
Magnesium + B6 should help there.

I found out I could only tolerate magnesium oxide. Epsom salts and Mg glycinate, citrate and aaspartate only worsened ammonia issues.

Gondwanaland

Thanks. How will Magnesium + B6 help with zinc deficiency?
The enzimes involved in B6 metabolism use Mg and Zn. It improves absorption if you take them together. I wouldn't take Zn without copper though (Zn 10 : Cu 1).