• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

causes of muscle twitching/spams

alice111

I have over the past few moths been getting a new symptom where little muscles all over my body will randomly twitch or spasm like a little "popping" sensation.

does anyone know what can cause this? I feel like it is some sort of electrolyte deficiency or imbalance? but not sure which one specifically

kel88

Alice that was my first symptom! When i use high dose magnesium it is much less. When i get a allergie test i was allergic for many foods ( not IgE but IGG food allergies/intoleranties) when i avoid them the spasmes did go away! Bit now they are back! But only when i take a high dose of B6 and from many foods! I think because of the sulfur ( CBS mutation) or Ammonia from the food, i hate it! It was gone for some years! Pffff :(

Hope that it will go away for you....

Gondwanaland

Alice that was my first symptom! When i use high dose magnesium it is much less. When i get a allergie test i was allergic for many foods ( not IgE but IGG food allergies/intoleranties) when i avoid them the spasmes did go away! Bit now they are back! But only when i take a high dose of B6 and from many foods! I think because of the sulfur ( CBS mutation) or Ammonia from the food, i hate it! It was gone for some years! Pffff :(

Hope that it will go away for you....
Magnesium helped me with muscle twitches, food intolerances and to tolerate B6 supplementation.

Mor

Alice that was my first symptom! When i use high dose magnesium it is much less. When i get a allergie test i was allergic for many foods ( not IgE but IGG food allergies/intoleranties) when i avoid them the spasmes did go away! Bit now they are back! But only when i take a high dose of B6 and from many foods!

High dose B6 gives me twitches and spasms. It's because it depletes Magnesium, but it also depletes B2 and zinc. The P5P form shouldn't cause the same issues, or is at least less likely to cause them.

Vineyard1

I have over the past few moths been getting a new symptom where little muscles all over my body will randomly twitch or spasm like a little "popping" sensation.

does anyone know what can cause this? I feel like it is some sort of electrolyte deficiency or imbalance? but not sure which one specifically

I, too, had that experience before I started taking 800mg of Magnesium. I find it eliminated the twitches for me.

Mor

As to why high B6 could deplete magnesium, here is a quote from Dr. Michael Lam, MD:

Dr Lam said:
The most commonly used supplement of Vitamin B6 is pyridoxine hydrochloride and most people find this very useful. But with this supplement the body still needs to convert the pyridoxine in the small intestine into P5P so that it can be utilized.

The body cannot directly use pyridoxine. The metabolic processes that must take place first are called phosphorylation and oxidation. For these processes to take place, they need riboflavin (Vitamin B2), zinc and magnesium. They should be considered.

So I guess it can deplete them.

https://www.drlam.com/blog/pyroluria-and-adrenal-fatigue-syndrome-part-1/10947/

Could be thyroid related, or potassium. I think also when we are extra tried or stressed the nervous system struggles to work efficiently and shoots of charges,

frog_in_the_fog

Test Subject
I tend to start twitching when my thyroid goes out of control.

My recipe for success:
ldn + alcar w/magnesium carbonate + liquid coq10 + multivitamin = energy - pain - twitching

Note: Only effective for those with autoimmune hyperthyroid!

On my side, I started having constant muscle twitching (legs above all, but also shoulders, arms, fingers, head, lips,..) 8 weeks ago when I started mold avoidance by switching on the air purifier at my place. The twitchings started almost immediately after I ran it, and almost immediately stop each time I switch off the air purifier.
Therefore, on my case, they are "detox" muscle twitchings.
I started taking vitamin C (4 grams a day divided in around 40 intakes of 100 mg) 2 weeks ago : I take some vit C each time my legs are twitching and this almost always calms my twitchings very quickly

pattismith

muscles fasciculations (muscles twitches) started 2 months after I started Azithromycin and two weeks after I started Doxycycline....(together with muscle pains)

it stopped when I stopped these antibiotics.

"Fasciculations are a manifestation of peripheral nerve hyperexcitability in addition to myokymia, neuromyotonia, cramps, or tetany. Fasciculations occur in hereditary and non-hereditary diseases. Among the hereditary diseases, fasciculations are most frequently reported in familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (FALS), and spinal muscular atrophy (SMA). Among the non-hereditary diseases, fasciculations occur most frequently in peripheral nerve hyperexcitability syndromes (Isaac's syndrome, voltage-gated potassium channelopathy, cramp fasciculation syndrome, Morvan syndrome). If the cause of fasciculations remains unknown, they are called benign. Systematically reviewing the literature about fasciculations in hereditary disease shows that fasciculations can be a phenotypic feature in bulbospinal muscular atrophy (BSMA), GM2-gangliosidosis, triple-A syndrome, or hereditary neuropathy. Additionally, fasciculations have been reported in familial amyloidosis, spinocerebellar ataxias, Huntington's disease, Rett syndrome, central nervous system disease due to L1-cell adhesion molecule (L1CAM) mutations, Fabry's disease, or Gerstmann-Sträussler disease. Rarely, fasciculations may be a phenotypic feature in patients with mitochondrial disorders or other myopathies. "

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25073774

in my case, drug induced fasciculations may have been a result of a mitochondrial deficiency.

Since this time, the mito-cocktail helps me to improve my energy levels and my chronic muscle weakness