• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Medscape article: Addressing Fear of Exercise Cuts Chronic Fatigue?Perhaps

Nielk

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/838452

Reducing fear of exercise through cognitive behavioral therapy or graded exercise helps patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), according to a planned secondary analysis of a 2011 trial.

However, the trial itself — the adaptive Pacing, graded Activity and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy; a randomized Evaluation (PACE) trial — is controversial, and the new findings only highlight the complexity and confusion surrounding the condition's name and diagnostic criteria.

In the new analysis, Trudie Chalder, PhD, from the Academic Department of Psychological Medicine, King’s College London, Weston Education Centre, London, United Kingdom, and colleagues find that relieving patients' fear that exercise would make symptoms worse was a key mediator of the effect of both graded exercise therapy (GET) and cognitive behavior therapy (CBT). The findings were published online January 13 inLancet Psychiatry.

"Our results suggest that fearful beliefs can be changed by directly challenging such beliefs (as in CBT) or by simple behaviour change with a graded approach to the avoided activity (as in GET)," the authors write.

"Clinically, the results suggest that therapists delivering CBT could encourage more physical activities such as walking, which might enhance the effect of CBT and could be more acceptable to patients," Dr Chalder said in a journal news
Continue HERE

Last edited:

barbc56

If CBT made it easier to exercise, I would grab it! If I were only depressed, I would not hesitate to treat it to feel better nor have a problem with saying I am depressed.

But the reality is IT DOESN'T AND IT ISN'T.

The world is much more complicated that the advocates of GET and CBT are claiming.

Simplistic thinking like this will not help us.

:bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head:

Barb

mango

did you guys read the whole article, both pages?

i thought the quotes from Andreas M. Kogelnik, Leonard Jason and Kenneth J. Friedman were brilliant!

worldbackwards

I've developed a "fear" of reading news articles coming out of the UK regarding ME.
Yeah. I'm developing avoidance issues. I may need a new, medical journalism-focused CBT. God knows, the funding's there if they want it.

daisybell

@Gingergrrl
Andreas M. Kogelnik, MD, PhD, founder and director of the Open Medicine Institute, told Medscape Medical News, "While physical deconditioning is a factor in ME/CFS patients, time and again we've seen clear evidence in practical community settings that CBT and GET can be extremely detrimental to a patient's well-being and treatment course. The PACE trial did little to address the heterogeneity of the ME/CFS population, nor did it account well for severity of illness and fragility of many of these patients. CBT and GET need to be used very cautiously."

barbc56

While my comments still stand about cbc/get, I did not read the article as I couldn't access it.

How can we access the whole article. I at least want to give it a fair chance.

Barb

ETA It won't let me sign up for an account. It says email registered but haven't received an email for user name or password.

Last edited: