• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Western blot test for Borreliosis/Lyme

Helen

I was clearly positive for Lyme according to the Western Blot as interpreted by KDM.

I am researching if this test is considered valid in mainstream medicine, but have to ask for help with this.
Thanks for any support!

Helen

I was clearly positive for Lyme according to the Western Blot as interpreted by KDM.

I am researching if this test is considered valid in mainstream medicine, but have to ask for help with this.
Yes, the Western Blot is one which even the CDC explicitly approves of. It can miss a lot of cases of Lyme, but it's very accurate in diagnosing Lyme if it gives a positive result.

duncan

Positive IgM or IgGs? Perhaps just as important - and potentially irrelevant to IDSA/CDC protocol - would be WHICH bands were positive, since some are specific to Bb.

Gondwanaland

Positive IgM or IgGs?
My local lab standards for those tests consider positive only if above 10:

IgG Borrelia burgdorferi (< 10 U/mL) my result was 1
IgM Borrelia burgdorferi (< 12 U/mL) my result was 5

I am going to test serum Rickettsia next.

duncan

My brain is misfiring, I fear. I was referring to actual band numbers, like Band 41kDa or Band 18 kDa or Band 39 kDa etc. CDC protocol calls for two IgM bands to be positive - but this must occur more or less within 60 days of being infected. After that, IgG values rule, and then according to the CDC you must demonstrate five of 10 bands positive. But this is specific to the U.S. and to Bb sensu stricto. Band requirements can differ depending on country, and, I think, species. (Not sure about the species requirements)

I mention the desire for SPECIFIC bands because some are specific to Bb, and even though someone may not have five bands IgG, but say only two or three IgG positive, some may feel confident to diagnose as Lyme.

duncan

Dumb question relative to any specific doctor like KDM. My apologies as I know that could invite issues.

Helen

Last edited:

Helen

My brain is misfiring, I fear. I was referring to actual band numbers, like Band 41kDa or Band 18 kDa or Band 39 kDa etc. CDC protocol calls for two IgM bands to be positive - but this must occur more or less within 60 days of being infected. After that, IgG values rule, and then according to the CDC you must demonstrate five of 10 bands positive. But this is specific to the U.S. and to Bb sensu stricto. Band requirements can differ depending on country, and, I think, species. (Not sure about the species requirements)

I mention the desire for SPECIFIC bands because some are specific to Bb, and even though someone may not have five bands IgG, but say only two or three IgG positive, some may feel confident to diagnose as Lyme.
Thanks Duncan. Fortunately, I manage to fullfill these criterias too. IgM positive, 5 bands and 8 points (?).
IgG positive, 16 points (?) and 8 bands.

These results are after more than 10 months on Doxyferm, at least half of the time on 2x200 mg (considered not only bacteriostatic). Still declining with dysaesthesia and as soon as I stop abx i get dyspnae and pain over my heart, and burning pain/radiculitis. In my country Doxyferm is said to cure also Neuroborreliosis (except for doctors as I have several examples of doctors who give themself IV abx, but they don´t dare to give their patients this treatment due to official dogma).

Helen

My local lab standards for those tests consider positive only if above 10:

IgG Borrelia burgdorferi (< 10 U/mL) my result was 1
IgM Borrelia burgdorferi (< 12 U/mL) my result was 5

I am going to test serum Rickettsia next.
Good idea to test for other tick-borne infections too. I was positive for Yersinia too (IgG and IgA and also in stool test).

I think your result is from a Elisa test, isn´t it? No bands tested? I think you would have to do further testing to confirm a Borrelios (which you don´t seem to have with these low values).

Gondwanaland

I think your result is from a Elisa test, isn´t it? No bands tested?
Yes, ELISA. With these results no further tests have been ordered.
I am doing too well for a dr to order me further testing :rolleyes:

I will just keep ignoring the Lyme possibility since I feel better now than one year ago.