• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sulfur oxidation, or heavy metals?

Some background, I broke out in hives when taking a sulfa drug years ago, and I always get bloated after eat sulfur veggies... but then again I get bloated after eating almost anything and sulfur veggies also happen to usually be FODMAPS which I have even more trouble tolerating. Also, I've had issues with taking epsom salt baths from what I can remember? I have some neurological symptoms associated with BH4 depletion. I'm also positive for double heterozygous MTHFR.

So, I've read that a sulphur intolerance/ oxidation problem is usually a "misnomer", and that what is actually happening is that the thiols are mobilizing heavy metals, namely mercury (https://www.paleohacks.com/paleo/sulfur-intolerance-aka-poor-sulfur-oxidation-ever-heard-of-it-6702). I've had my metals tested and I'm high in mercury and very high in arsenic.

I've also read a thread on this forum called cbs success where the OP talks about how a low sulphur diet and charcoal/magnesium flushes made all the difference for her. Can someone explain to me the mechanism behind this?

Am I sulphur toxic? Can molybdenum deficiency cause this?

Any input that might bring me to a deeper level of understanding would be greatly appreciated.

Gondwanaland

My 2 cents:

• Look into SIBO and Candida
  • Get a comprehensive thyroid panel: Free T3, Free T4 (+ optional T3 and T4), TSH, Reverse T3, anti-TPO and anti-thyroglobulin antibodies.
  • Buy pH strips to test your urine at home and then get your electrolytes balanced
  • Molybdenum will not be helpful if your have high-ish uric acid (ask for this test too)
  • IME magnesium supplementation helped with multiple chemical/food sensitivities (comprehensive info about magnesium here) BTW since my uric acid is high-ish magnesium oxide worked wonders for me.

My 2 cents:

• Look into SIBO and Candida
  • Get a comprehensive thyroid panel: Free T3, Free T4 (+ optional T3 and T4), TSH, Reverse T3, anti-TPO and anti-thyroglobulin antibodies.
  • Buy pH strips to test your urine at home and then get your electrolytes balanced
  • Molybdenum will not be helpful if your have high-ish uric acid (ask for this test too)
  • IME magnesium supplementation helped with multiple chemical/food sensitivities (comprehensive info about magnesium here) BTW since my uric acid is high-ish magnesium oxide worked wonders for me.

Why do you mention uric acid?

Gondwanaland

Because it was a significant piece of my puzzle.
BTW I do not tolerate Epsom Salts at all either.

Because it was a significant piece of my puzzle.
BTW I do not tolerate Epsom Salts at all either.

What is the cause for not tolerating the epsom salts? This is what I ultimately want to know, whether there is a possibility of a sulphur oxidation problem so I know whether to go through the trouble of doing a low thiol diet for a while to see if it helps. I basically want to know if these sulphur problems are just a myth and if mercury is the real problem. Do you have mercury?

Gondwanaland

What is the cause for not tolerating the epsom salts?
I haven't found the answer to that question yet. I think it is because the sulfate interacts negatively with high acidity (high uric acid, salicylates/phenols/nitrates in foods)
I basically want to know if these sulphur problems are just a myth and if mercury is the real problem.
All I can say is that it is a long journey. I began my quest one year ago (pursuing mercury) and found many other paths in my way.
When I tried a low thiol diet I felt the worse so far. But it helps many people.