• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Multiple B12 daily doses vs 1 larger dose

PeterPositive

Hello,
I have been doing some experiments with distributing methyl-B12 over many doses during the day vs taking it in 1 or 2 administrations.

To be clear I am talking about sublingual Methyl-B12. My current dose is ~10mg/day.

To my surprise I noticed that it makes a significantly positive difference to take at least 4-5 doses every 3 hours than taking 1 or 2 of higher dosage..

1)
Could be placebo? Indeed it could be. The act of sticking some tablets under the tongue could trigger some expectations.

2)
Could be differences in B12 brands? It's another difficult to control variable. I've tried two scenarios:
  • 2x Source Natural's 5mg Methyl-B12, 1 in the morning, 1 early afternoon = 10mg
  • 2x Enzymatic 1mg Methyl-B12 every 3 hours. (5 times a day) = 10mg
It takes only 2 days of using the 2x 5mg tablets to already have less stamina, low mood and less energy. It feels similar as when I tried to swap Methyl-B12 with Hydroxy-B12. Didn't go well.

From a practical point of view it would make my life easier to take two high dose tablets a day and be done with it, instead of sucking candies all the day (i also take extra sublingual NAD, P5P. 5-MTHF and a basic B complex! Ouch!)

Have you had a similar experience?

Cheers

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I'm confused. You said it only took 2 doses of 5mgs/ day to have less stamina. So you mean you need the additional daily doses to counter act that?

PeterPositive

I'm confused. You said it only took 2 doses of 5mgs/ day to have less stamina. So you mean you need the additional daily doses to counter act that?
Starting from the 2nd day I noticed symptoms such as less energy, low mood etc... but I kept going for several more days, to see if it was a coincidence. Apparently it wasn't.
When I take smaller doses every few hours I definitely have better mood and energy. Unfortunately they aren't the same brand, so my test may be influenced by several variables.

ahmo

Freddd gives the Enzy tablets top rating. I don't know how Source naturals ragtes. He and some others didn't find Country Life 5mg as effective as Enzy, but I found it equally good, and used to take 2 AM and 2 midday. I'm now using transdermal oil, once in AM, feels the same.