• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

2014 - Lectures and Interviews with Dr. Terry Wahls re MS Treatment Protocol and Clinical Trials

Wally

Here are a number of presentations and interviews with Dr. Wahls during 2014. Many of these interviews cover a lot of the information discussed in her hour plus presentation on 9/15/2014(*). However, I have tried to include, in this thread, all of Dr. Wahl's audio and video interviews/presentations for 2014 that I was able to find on-line.

I have not tried Dr. Wahls treatment plan nor do I have an opinion (yet :zippit:) on whether this appears to be a "reasonable" protocol for someone to try who has MS or other serious illnesses. However, I find the information she has been reporting from her personal trial, as well as her current MS clinical trial, to be really fascinating. In addition, it appears that she will be expanding her research into the areas of Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia.

Her original talk at TEDx in 2011 about her illness and her treatment protocol, now carries the following flag/disclaimer: "This talk, which was filmed at an independent TEDx event, falls outside TEDx's curatorial guidelines. Read more below." and "Note from TED: This talk, which features health advice based on a personal narrative, has been flagged as potentially outside TED's curatorial guidelines. Viewer discretion advised. The guidelines we give our TEDx organizers are described in more detail here: http://www.ted.com/pages/tedx_curatin... ". So it appears that Dr. Wahls protocol is not without its critics, but such criticism is often what makes the "politics" of science so very interesting. See, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc

2014 Interviews and Presentations

On 12/27/2014 (published) video presentation by Dr. Wahls. This video runs for 4 minutes. http://www.medpagetoday.com/Neurology/MultipleSclerosis/49317. (Note - There may be more recent videos available to paying members of the Wahls Protocol (http://terrywahls.com/shop/wahls-protocol-membership-site/), but I am not a member of this group so this is the most recent video presentation I found by doing a Google search.)

On 12/6/2014 (published) podcast of interview with Dr. Wahls by Eileen Laird. Podcast is available here at http://www.phoenixhelix.com/2014/12/06/episode-07-the-wahls-protocol-with-dr-terry-wahls/ Run time for this podcast is 61 minutes. (Note - There may be more recent radio or podcast audio interviews available to paying members of the Wahls Protocol, (http://terrywahls.com/shop/wahls-protocol-membership-site/), but I am not a member of this group so this is the most recent audio interview I found by doing a Google search.)

On 9/30/2014 - Dr. Wahls was interviewed on the Real Money Radio Show. This radio interview runs for 29 minutes. See, http://realmoneyradio.com/shows/AirDate09302014RealMoney.mp3]

*On 9/15/2014 Dr. Wahls gave a 1 hour and 8 minute presentation in Canada regarding her MS story and the MS Clinical Trial she is running based off the nutritional and exercise treatment plan she devised to improve her MS disease. I believe this is the most current comprehensive video presentation available for free on-line.

On 8/27/2014, Dr. Wahls participated in a Instant Tele Seminar webinar. Recording from this webinar is available at http://instantteleseminar.com/?eventid=59053899. The run time for this recording is (?) minutes.

On 8/26/2014 (published) audio of interview with Dr. Wahls by Jimmy Moore. Recording of this interview is available here at http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/10742/860-dr-terry-wahls-keto-clarity-expert-interview/ Run time for this recording is 33 minutes.

On 7/31/2014 (published) video of a presentation given by Dr. Wahls. Run time of this video is 19 minutes. http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-1445...ls.html#ooid=NweWd4bjruijk3eJUkxbnvBNRjSB1uli

On 7/21/2014 (published) video interview with Dr. Wahls by Nadya Andreeva. Run time for this video is 57 minutes.

On 6/14/2014 (published) audio podcast interview with Dr. Wahls on the Low Carb Paleo Show. Run time for this podcast is 22 minutes.

On 5/21/2014 (published) video podcast with Dr. Wahls by Wendy Meyers. (See also, http://liveto110.com/59-dr-terry-wahls-heal-autoimmune-naturally/)
Run time for this video is 32 minutes.

On 5/9/2014 (published) video podcast interview with Dr. Wahls on Bulletproof Radio. Run time for this video is 57 minutes.

(Additional videos for 2014 are set forth in the following post due to the number of "media" attachments.)

Last edited:

Wally

(Continuation of post above.)

On 4/28/2014 (published) video interview with Dr. Wahls with a Kansas City TV Station regarding her new book. Run time for this video is 4 minutes.

On 4/11/2014 - Dr. Wahls gave a presentation at a three day event referred to as Paleo f(x)™ Austin 2014
There are two videos of Dr. Wahls speaking at this event with a total run time of 10 minutes. Video interview with Dr. Wahls at this event with a run time of 20 minutes.

3/27/2014 (published) video interview with Dr. Wahls on the Randy and Christa Show. Run time for this video is 18 minutes.

3/9/2014 (published) two video clips of interview with Dr. Wahls about her new book by Iowa City Press-Citizen. Run time for these two videos is 5 minutes. These video clips are located at http://www.press-citizen.com/article/20140310/NEWS01/303100021

(Contination of this post is in the following post due to number of "media" files.)

Attachments

• upload_2015-1-3_4-38-4.png
    upload_2015-1-3_4-38-4.png
    358.1 KB · Views: 8

Wally

(Continuation of post above.)

1/30/2014 (published) video interview with Dr. Wahls with Fat Burning Man Show. Run time for this video is 50 minutes.

ukxmrv

I'm not well enough to look at all these videos.

Can someone who has seen them please answer a genuine question (I'm not trying to stir up trouble) - is there any actual evidence that Dr Wahl's diet and exercise is helping her MS symptoms?

Wally

I'm not well enough to look at all these videos.

Can someone who has seen them please answer a genuine question (I'm not trying to stir up trouble) - is there any actual evidence that Dr Wahl's diet and exercise is helping her MS symptoms?

@ukxmrv,
If you are able to watch one video (under 20 minutes), I would suggest watching the one I have attached below, which should give you a short summary (as of March 2014) as to how Dr. Wahls diet and exercise protocol appears to have greatly improved her MS symptoms. (Not sure if this will answer your question or if watching any videos is not possible for you, but I thought I would try to provide a response to your question. Let me know if this information is not helpful or responsive to your question.)

ukxmrv

Thanks Wally for the kind reply!

I'm not able to watch a video and understand it at the moment but I will save for when my brain comes back online.

Wally

@ukxmrv,
I understand that this illness can make it very hard to process different types of information. For me, I have a lot of difficulty reading a book or long articles. At times, I can't read at all. Videos/Podcasts that I can watch lying in bed (or just listen to with my eyes closed) has worked best for me. I can adjust the sound (sometimes headphones works best for this) and replay or stop the video/podcast whenever I want. However, I realize that each of us has different sensory effects from this illness.

While many of the videos and podcasts with Dr. Wahls cover some of the same information, I found that in each one I learned something new from how questions were asked or the style of the presentation. Someone else may not be interested in taking the time to listen to so much material, but for me it was helpful because I was not feeling well enough to tackle her book. In addition, the material in her book only provides at a setpoint in time and it is nice to keep up to date on how her findings are evolving/changing.

You can also get up to date information by joining her Wahls Project (cost is about $50 a quarter) and you will get monthly updates about what they are learning. By collecting all of these free videos/podcasts, it allowed me to see how the knowledge in this area is really taking off and her book would just be one of the tools you would need to try her protocol. Dr. Wahl also has a Facebook page and a website. Her Facebook page is located at https://www.facebook.com/TerryWahls and her website can be found at http://terrywahls.com/

Another one of the interviews that is around 20 minutes that I found really interesting is attached below. The interviewer and Dr. Wahls provide some really good information about the role of micronutrients in the brain and the mitochondria.

Last edited:

maddietod

It's OK for people to make money. Wahls has shared extensive research in her books, has never claimed to be healed, and has gotten herself completely out of a wheelchair. Kudos to her. Her books are available at my library - although I bought them, as I support her efforts.

She's conducting research, with MS patients following her diet and lifestyle. She's willing to prove herself wrong. I admire her....although I was unable to follow her diet, as it's more than double the quantity of food I can eat.

Wally

@Kati,
I agree that it is important to be wary of any claim that a specific diet, exercise plan, psychological counseling, lifestyle change or pharmaceutical intervention is the answer for any complex illness. However, I think it is important to be aware and investigate some of the treatments and clinical trials being looked at in other illnesses that have symptoms that may overlap with those experienced by patients with ME (or ME/CFS) or Fibromyalgia.

My posting of these videos/podcasts is not an attempt to promote Dr. Wahls treatment protocol. As I said in the first post in this thread, I have not tried this protocol nor have I signed up to pay for any information about this protocol (including the purchase of Dr. Wahls book).

I have compiled all of these videos/podcasts for my own research and I thought it might be helpful to make this available in one place to anyone else who might want to do some investigatory work related to Dr. Wahls claims related to micronutrients and brain/mitochondrial health.

voner

in the spirit of research, I suggest a review of the original research paper Dr. Wahls has published on her case.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2769364/

She Intensively used a neuromuscular electrical stimulator (NMES in the document)...

here is a quote from the document:

.......the patient routinely did 30 minutes of NMES while completing her home exercise program each day and another 4 to 5 hours of NMES at much lower intensity through out the day while working or at home.............

I don't know why she does not emphasize her use of this stimulator....

It's pretty amazing story, but instead of her following a singular protocol or treatment, she followed 2 treatments. that said, from what I remember and reading her protocols in watching a few videos a couple years ago, her knowledge of nutrition is extraordinary.

Wally

@voner,
Thanks for adding in the link to her research paper. There are many parts to her protocol and lots of nuances that may not be picked up in just reading the research paper or watching one of her presentations or even reading her books. I definitely wonder how the exercise portion of her protocol played into the improvement of her symptoms versus the diet portion of the protocol.

I am going back and watching/listening to all of the videos and podcasts that I posted (I had only skimmed through watching some of them before posting) and I am really finding something new in each one. In one of the podcasts I just listened to, the question is raised about whether people with gastrointestinal issues could even tolerate her protocol. She discusses that healing of the gut would probably be necessary before trying her protocol. She suggests using bone broth, soups, stews and probotics to look at healing a leaky gut.

So far, I have not found anything in her videos/podcasts that addresses the use of pharmaceuticals (i.e. antibiotics or antivirals) to address underlying infections. Not sure if I have just missed this topic in the information I have access to?

I also think the electrical stimulation of muscles may not be appropriate for other types of illnesses where there are fatigue, exercise limitations and/or lymph drainage/stimulation concerns. She definitely states the electrical stimulation will not be appropriate for all patients with MS. While it may appear that she is pushing a one size solution for all, when you listen to her talk she is talking about feeding the body primarily through a balanced level of micronutrients from food sources rather than synthetic supplements, which are tailored to an individual's current health status, including food and/or exercise sensitivity. She also advises the need for periodic checks of the levels/balance of micronutrients in the body including before and after making any dietary changes in an attempt to increase your intake of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients.

Here is one of the 20 minute podcasts where there is some discussion on the diet portion of her protocol that may be of interest to those who are interested in understanding her approach to diet when gastrointestinal issues take center stage.

Last edited:

Wally

Wally

Transcript of interview with Dr. Terry Wahls re Mitochondria, Health and Vegetables. I have quoted a few parts from the transcript that I thought might give you an idea of what is talked about in this podcast. I found reading the whole transcript to be really interesting. It would also be interesting to see if the nutritional ideas/research that Dr. Wahls has used as part of her MS treatment will be shown to have an effect on other neuro endocrine immune illnesses. If you would also like to listen to the podcast I have linked it below.

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/tra...ia-health-and-vegetables-with-dr-terry-wahls/
Terry: We’re to go back 1.5 billion years. The Earth’s covered with a terrible poison which is killing off large swaths of life. There are a few bacteria that have adapted to this toxic poison. They’ve learned how to use the poison, oxygen, more efficiently in generating ATP. These ancient bacteria are engulfed by other bacteria and they develop a symbiotic relationship.

This new bacteria will evolve over time to become animals and eventually us, of course. That means all of ourselves have these ancient bacteria that help us generate adenosine triphosphate. Our mitochondria are really bacteria. In the most energy-intensive cells, our brain, our retina, and our heart, we have about 10,000 mitochondria per cell.

In medical school, I had to memorize lots and lots of [ractions 16:54] involving my mitochondria, but no one taught me what I needed to feed my mitochondria to be sure that they could have optimal function and from what kind of things were particularly toxic. That’s one of the things that I investigated as I figured out from my reading that likely, mitochondria were the root cause of my fatigue, my brain fog, and the atrophy or shrinkage of brain tissue in MS, Parkinson’s, Lou Gehrig’s, Huntington’s, all these neurodegenerative processes.

With more reading, study, I figured out that I needed all the B vitamins, zinc, magnesium, sulfur, antioxidants, and essential fats because the mitochondria have lots of membrane around the cell and within the mitochondria to run that chemistry. They’re also incredibly dependent on omega-3, omega-6 fats. You want to flood your body with that nutrition so your mitochondria can perk up and come back to life.

It also means you particularly need to protect them from heavy metals, aluminum, arsenic, lead, mercury being the foremost toxic.
Those [liver, kidney, skin]definitely are the organs that are going to process and eliminate the toxins. But in order to do that, that’s still a biochemical process that’s dependent on having the proper substrates. So you can induce those enzymes, up regulate them, particularly if you have a lot of sulfur-rich vegetables, which is why my protocol stresses the sulfur-rich vegetables. That’s going to really amplify your ability to detox. If you don’t provide those systems the proper substrates, they’re not going to function very well. The toxins, instead of being excreted, will get placed in your fat and in your brain, where they ramp up the inflammation, ramp up the neurodegeneration, and lead to progressively more damage.