• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Saccharomyces Boulardii - Any experiences?

optimist

I just came across this product on this blog that belongs to a renowned Functional GP, and since I have big troubles with my gut, this caught my attention. Anyone who has heard of it and/or tried it?

A rough translation made by Google and me :)

FriskSomEnFisk.no said:
Saccharomyces boulardii is a yeast that is considered to have health-promoting effects. It can help against antibiotic associated diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome and traveler's diarrhea. It can thus help when you are going on vacation or need to take antibiotics. This fungus works in several ways:

(1) Excrete enzymes that break down toxins from bacteria in the gut. The toxins are therefore made harmless and does not get to damage the intestine.

(2) Binds to bad bacteria. The bacteria can thus not attach to the intestinal wall, and is excreted with the feces. This may prevent intestinal infection with harmful bacteria such as Salmonella and E-coli.

(3) May be anti-inflammatory.

(4) Provides increased secretion of IgA antibodies in intestinal mucosa. These are an important part of the immune system and protects the intestinal barrier.

(5) Prevents the growth of other yeast (e.g.. Candida albicans) in the intestine

In Norway you can get Saccharomyces boulardii on prescription. The preparation is called recose/ Florastor and is manufactured by Biocodex. It seems to be possible to buy prescription free via ebay. It can certainly be purchased from HealthMonthly. Mushrooms have properties that bacteria do not provide, it can be taken simultaneously with antibiotics.

Gondwanaland

It helped to flush out supposedly undesired microbiota, helped to reduce excess histamines, helped to reduce acidity but in the long run it wasn't useful for me as it led to more constipation.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
There are some contraindications with this. I'm looking for them now but it was one reason why I couldn't take it. I can't remember what it was LOL.

Last edited:

jepps

I see. I have massive food intolerances. Do you think it could help to reduce those?

I take saccharomyces boulardii since 8 months to treat candida.
Up tp now, It did not change anything according to food intolerances slGA. But I´m taking it still because of the reasons you posted, it is an antagonist to candida.
My food intolerances began after I detoxified microbes and metals.

Gondwanaland

An alkalizing protocol reversed my food intolerances (salicylates). Besides taking magnesium oxide orally, I also took sodium bicarbonate baths after my urine pH was 4.5 in the evening.

helen1

I took it for 3 months two years ago as part of a multi step candida and SIBO treatment. It improved my constipation considerably strangely enough because it's commonly used to treat diarrhea.

optimist

I think it is worth trying :thumbsup:
Are your food intolerances related to acidosis?
That's a good question... how would I know? I often wake up with my saliva tasting like a sour lemon - could that be linked?

An alkalizing protocol reversed my food intolerances (salicylates). Besides taking magnesium oxide orally, I also took sodium bicarbonate baths after my urine pH was 4.5 in the evening.
Was the reason for taking baking soda in the bath to avoid overdosing? I've been taking some baking soda in the morning for a couple of weeks, but I stopped as I read that one can overdo it. But I felt it helped me, so I would prefer to continue :/

There are some contraindications with this. I'm looking for them now but it was one reason why I couldn't take it. I can't remember what it was LOL.
Contradictions like in conflict with other supplements?

I take saccharomyces boulardii since 8 months to treat candida.
Up tp now, It did not change anything according to food intolerances slGA. But I´m taking it still because of the reasons you posted, it is an antagonist to candida.
My food intolerances began after I detoxified microbes and metals.

I think the conclusion of all this is that we are all quite different, and I will just have to try and see :) But still, non of you have given any warnings against taking it, which is also helpful (I do have a certain degree of trust towards you guys you see ;) ).

Gondwanaland

That's a good question... how would I know? I often wake up with my saliva tasting like a sour lemon - could that be linked?
Order pH strips and test your saliva and urine
Was the reason for taking baking soda in the bath to avoid overdosing? I've been taking some baking soda in the morning for a couple of weeks, but I stopped as I read that one can overdo it. But I felt it helped me, so I would prefer to continue :/
I found out that when I had a dry mouth a swish with bicarb helped. Drinking low doses is not a problem (eg 1/8 tsp in a glass of water) . You will immediately feel if you should stop.
I immersed in it b/c I needed it to be quickly absorbed from my whole body due to high ammonia/acidosis (tight chest, breathlessness, urine pH 4.5 in the evening)

You can also get beneficial yeasts in Kefir. ( a probiotic food much like yogurt ) Kefir contains both lactic acid bacteria, as well as Saccharomyces yeast strains. The particular strains may vary with the particular kefir. I used kefir starter from Body Ecology. And used coconut water since dairy is an issue for me.

optimist

I've been wanting to try out making kefir and fermented food. Just need to learn how and where to get ingredients :) Thanks for letting me know that this yeast is in Kefir. Is the amount comparable?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i use sacchromyce bouldarri when im on antibiotics, so almost all the time lol.
normal probiotics are killed off by abx but not sacchromyce and its suppose to prevent all the bad bacteria in the gut. After the course of abx, then i take the normal probiotics.

@optimist Because kefir is often home made.. its hard to find exact CFU counts of the different microbes in it. However, kefir is generaly considered to have exceptionally high amounts of benefiicial bacteria and yeasts.

For some reason, I tolerated the coconut kefir better than other probtotics. Though its not yet clear to me why.

I had severe diysbiosis and food allergies following parasites, candida, and tons of antibiotics.

The water that is inside a young coconut has quite a bit of natural sugar already in it, so there is no need to add more... if you taste it, it tastes almost like syrup. As it ferments, the bacteria and yeasts will consume the sugars, leaving a very tart probiotic drink when done.

When its finished fermenting.... 48 hours for the coconut kefir i make... it is sour, not sweet at all, and its pH will drop from about 6 to about 3 ( i use some pH papers to check it.. im a bit of a science guy lol ) What is actually happening is the bacteria are consuming the sugars as the energy source they need to multiply and grow. Once the sugars are fully consumed, they would stop multiplying.

I totally understand your concerns about the sugar. But kefir, and home made yogurt too, if allowed to fully ferment, shouldnt have much sugar left at all. Certainly not enough to taste.