• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

No carb, no fat foods

Dr.Patient

There is no kinship like the one we share!
Can anyone suggest foods or snacks that have very low to no carb, no fat, very low to no fiber? Sodium is fine. Just looking for something to meet my mastication instinct, thanks.

Gingergrrl

@Dr.Patient All I can think of that meets your requirements are protein (chicken & fish) or maybe some fruits and vegetables?

If it's more for the chewing instincts, can you chew gum or crushed ice?

Kati

Patient in training
Low-fat cottage cheese. Skim milk. Yogurt. White fish. Turkey breast (from ground, to meatballs to steaks), egg whites. Canned tuna (packed in water).

Dr.Patient

Thank you all. There are more restrictions that I forgot to add- no dairy and no animal protein. I know, it's hard!!!

Crushed ice seems like a good idea, may be I can add crystal light for some color and taste...

Dr.Patient

No carbs, no fat, no animal protein, no dairy.... Leaves fibre only doesn't it? I don't know of any food that would fit the bill. Can I ask why you are trying to do this? To me, it makes no sense, and can only result in malnutrition...

I eat well, this is just for in between munching...

Gingergrrl

Since you said crushed ice is okay, maybe you can also freeze fruit like grapes (or buy a package of frozen fruit for smoothies but chew on the pieces instead?)

Gingergrrl

@Dr.Patient I don't want to take your thread off topic but hadn't seen you on PR in a while and was wondering how you were doing (only if you are comfortable saying of course!)

Good luck finding the snack you are looking for and Popsicles are a great idea too. I'm not sure if this would fit your requirements but we also found dairy free frozen chocolate covered bananas.

Dr.Patient

@Dr.Patient I don't want to take your thread off topic but hadn't seen you on PR in a while and was wondering how you were doing (only if you are comfortable saying of course!)

Good luck finding the snack you are looking for and Popsicles are a great idea too. I'm not sure if this would fit your requirements but we also found dairy free frozen chocolate covered bananas.

My status is the same, nothing new other than a setback caused by my move to TX...I keep checking in once in a while, I have several threads I need to read, including your famvir journey...:)

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Can anyone suggest foods or snacks that have very low to no carb, no fat, very low to no fiber? Sodium is fine. Just looking for something to meet my mastication instinct, thanks.

Maybe you can find something on this page. It's a list of foods in order of protein content.

Gingergrrl

My status is the same, nothing new other than a setback caused by my move to TX...I keep checking in once in a while, I have several threads I need to read, including your famvir journey...:)

@Dr.Patient Wow, I cannot even imagine trying to move and what a major setback that would cause me. Congrats on accomplishing that and I hope you feel better soon. As far as my Famvir thread, it goes off in a million different directions as lots of different topics got addressed (like most of my threads :D) but I hope you will find it helpful and please feel free to ever ask me any questions. Best wishes to you.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
or buy a package of frozen fruit for smoothies but chew on the pieces instead
Or any frozen fruit. I love snacking on frozen fruit. Mango and dark, sweet cherries are my favorites. Blueberries, blackberries, peaches, and pineapple are good too. You may need to let the peaches and pineapple defrost slightly. It is an expensive habit, so I have to indulge in moderation.

cigana

Protein shakes made from soy, or rice, or another non-animal source. (You can buy these in powdered form from health food shops).

Mij

Well, I like to slice celery length wise and soak in water in the frigo to keep it crispy. It is fibros but contains natural sodium and satisfies the need for a crunch.