• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Treatment for plantar fasciitis and heel spurs

IntuneJune

Yesterday, I had surgery for a nasty bunion. While I was "under" the surgeon offered a fasciectomy to help with plantar fasciitis and heel spurs. I declined the slice and dice, he offered a "new" treatment. PRP, platelet-rich protein. At the time of surgery, my blood was drawn, centrifuged and platelets with growth hormones were reinjected into my foot to treat / repair the injured tissues.

Of course, I am having pain from the bunionectomy.... but am optimistic about the outcome of PRP.

Anyone else have this treatment, so many of us suffer with plantar fasciitis.

June :victory:

bakercape

I've had

Plantar fasciitis for years. I've had the podiatrist make me inserts. That was a waste of 300 bucks as they did very little.

I had more sucess with a 18 dollar pair of doct shoels inserts from the grocery store.

Icing and stretching have been helpful but with CFS I have a hard time being consistent with those things.

Good luck with the PF and your treatment. It's a bummer having CFS and on top of it having the bottom of your feet hurt. Yuck!

IntuneJune

BakerCape

I had done the same, expensive inserts that didn't help at all, however, I was able to get it to quiet down with physical therapy, stretches, etc. Then it came back again, both feet. This treatment had no artificial products only my own blood so I thought it was worth a try.

June

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I read about it not too long ago. It is suppose to be very hopeful for Plantar Fasciitis. Mainly because the normal treatment takes so long. Suppose to have implications for a lot of other uses if it works for Plantars.

IntuneJune

PRP

Yes August, it is my understanding PRP can be used where tissue damage/injury has occured. I felt no pain in my left foot the day after the injections. Of course the right foot is hurting from the bunionectomy June

Abraxas

I also have plantar fasciitis which was quite severe for 6 months or so (that was now a couple of years ago). I was given some generic insoles by a podiatrist which helped a bit for a while, but now seem to make thing things worse. Stretching helps somewhat as other people have said. I've not heard of this new treatment - so I'll look forward to hearing if it's a success after you've recovered from your bunionectomy IntuneJune :D

IntuneJune

PRP again

I've not heard of this new treatment - so I'll look forward to hearing if it's a success after you've recovered from your bunionectomy IntuneJune :D

Both feet were treated with PRP. All symptoms/pain have disappeared from the left foot..... however I am horizontal and on Vicodin. The right foot HURTS from the bunionectomy.

I had no expectations on a time line as far as the PRP helping.

I know of no one who has had this done. The doctor's comments were vague as far as healing the fasciitis. I was his first patient to have this done.

June

BEG

Hi June, I've heard of the PRP therapy but for use in the knees rather than for plantal faciitis. Is it considered experiemental because I also heard that it isn't covered by insurance? I've had trouble with plantar faciitis, also, and have received two shots in the same area. I can't say for certain, but I believe the doctor also did some tearing with the second shot. Not wanting to spend the $300. for custom orthotics, I asked my doctor what he would recommend. Full size Powersteps. They can be found on-line. I've had pretty good luck with those and a good pair of New Balance tennis shoes.

IntuneJune

Brown-eyed girl

What was in your shot?

In the past, I had PT, ultrasound, did my stretching exercises and got it under control. But it flared again. It will be wonderful if it works. PRP can be used just about anywhere tissues have been injured. I am going to look up those Powersteps. Thanks.

June

SaraM

Interjune,
I had PRP once for knee, shoulder and neck with good results . But most of the time more than one session is needed. Could I ask how much it cost you?

Sunday

June, I'm very intrigued by the PRP treatment, ingenious. Will you keep us posted on that? Sounds as if you might be having good results already, which is amazing, but of course Vicodin would be a confusing factor...hope you are getting some healing from your view of pond and woods.

Abraxas

I had PRP once for knee, shoulder and neck with good results . But most of the time more than one session is needed. Could I ask how much it cost you?

SaraM, was it necessary in your case to have more than one session? and have the results been permanent? Thanks.

IntuneJune

SaraM and PRP

Interjune,

SaraM As my treatment was done at the time of surgery, I don't know yet what my cost will be. Before the financial person in the doctor's office booked the representative from the company to be there at the time of surgery, the doctor said to her, "Make sure her insurance will cover this."

How long ago did you have your treatments?

I wished I could have met the rep from the company BEFORE surgery, I never saw him/her. I did have questions.... I wanted to know if, after centrifuging my blood, if s/he could tell if I had a normal percentage of growth hormones...... I never met the rep.

June

IntuneJune

June, I'm very intrigued by the PRP treatment, ingenious. Will you keep us posted on that? Sounds as if you might be having good results already, which is amazing, but of course Vicodin would be a confusing factor...hope you are getting some healing from your view of pond and woods.

I agree with you Sunday, ingenious..... and yes the Vicodin certainly would be confusing the results on my left foot..... Years and years ago I had a cortisone shot in a chest muscle..... hmmmmm....decided not to do that again. I really like the fact it was my own, my very own self working to heal.

June

SaraM

Abraxa: I still have neck and knee pain. So, I need more injections. The shoulder and arm pain is almost gone. I definitely suggest PRP for joint problems especially if your insurance pays for it.

Interjune: I had it more than six months ago.I have heard some docs use HGH instead of PRP.

*GG*

When I had my flare up this past fall, some of what might of lead to it was foot pain.

After making some headway with my flare up besides the constant to near constant burning pain in my back into my neck and shoulders and arms a little, pain in my feet was also present.

I finally made it to the podiatrist and he told me that I had plantar fascitis. They had me step onto some machine and it scanned my feet and a couple of weeks later the inserts arrived at my home, I believe they cost even more than what has been mentioned here. Yikes!

I have gone for a couple of follow ups and have recieved some Cortisone shots to each foot with each visit. Still having pain, on the out sides of my right foot the most and some left foot. Also had pain in the front of my feets near the base of my toes, shots there helped!

IntuneJune

ggingues and plantar fasciitis

I did the inserts also. If I remember correctly the gadget I stepped on sounded something like you did. The inserts were stiff, I cannot tolerate anything stiff on the bottom of my feet. It was one big waste of my money.

The plantar fascia and heel feel fine on my left foot. The bunionectomy was on the right, so it hurts, period. But I still feel the "heel spur." Maybe it is really not the spur I am feeling.

Can you use the inserts ggingues? The plantar fascia is the membrane that runs along the bottom of the foot. You mentioned pain on the side, I don't know if you were referring the side of the bottom or the side of the foot.

Good luck, let me know how you make out!

June

*GG*

Sorry that you spent money on these things and they did not work for you! I can wear mine without much bother, they just do no stay in place in my shoes very well, they are only about 1/2 the length of my feet. I don't think the inserts would work for my feet, thanks for the offer. Perhaps you could put an insert over them to soften the "blow", so to speak?

I am referring to the side of the foot.