• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Flushing - WOW!

optimist

I've been reading about people getting something called flushing. Today I tried some niacin... and eeehhmm. WOW! Now I know what you mean! That is a super funny sensation. My face is smoking hot and tingling :D Just had to share that! Have a good day! :thumbsup:

Kenshin

I heard of this there is also "non flush" niacin but some people say its not as good,
what are the benefits of niacin for you?

optimist

I have no idea of possible benefits so far - just experimenting. I've not taken niacin before, so I am very new to this. I was just so overwhelmed with the flushing thing. It was incredibly weird :)

Undisclosed

Niacin dilates the blood vessels. The 'flush' is a sign of niacin saturation in the body. The intensity is dependent on how much niacin you have taken.

optimist

I bought a Now Foods 500µg jar as I saw a thread where niacin was discussed to help with certain symtoms, but now I have forgotten which :rolleyes: Anyways, I read that this is a far to big dose to start with, and one can have bad reactions to it. So I opened the capsule and took about 1/10, which should be about 50µg.

15 minutes later I had more or less forgotten about it, but then my face became weird deluxe. Then I remembered somehting about flushing and red skin, and I though could this be it. I searched for flushing, and saw that it was normally in the face region. I relaxed my shoulders 50 cm as I was getting a bit scared that I was getting some sort of allergic reaction.

I also read somewhere that the flushing should mean we have enough of it... if it dillates the blood vessels, it must be very good for headaches?! No?

Comet

I'm Not Imaginary
Just had my first niacin flush the other day, after taking it for several months. Wow - it was intense. My entire body was lobster red and my skin felt badly sunburned. Thankfully, I realized what it was and it passed in about 45 minutes. But, yeah - very intense!

optimist

I realized what it was
I think this is the important part... if I had not known what was happening, I might have thought that I was having an allergic reaction. I've heard about these peanut stories where peoples necks swell up and block their air ways, and that was where my though travelled first :D

zzz

if it dillates the blood vessels, it must be very good for headaches?! No?

It's actually quite effective for treating migraines. Here's a sample quote from an article at the helpformigraines Web site:
In one study, 81% of the headaches sufferers reported a positive response to niacin. Another study of one hundred headache sufferers had a whopping 75% that had complete headache relief when given 100mg of niacin. And there are many more studies showing that niacin for migraines give a big percentage of headache sufferers relief.