• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Things stop working as quickly as they start

knackers323

I'm sure everyone has experienced this. You think you have found something and then it just stops working.

Anyone know if this happens in other illnesses?

knackers323

Thanks @Sherlock I didn't know that. I had never heard of it before. I wonder what it is. If it only seems to be in auto immune conditions then it would seem the body/immune system changes things around so that these treatments are no longer effective.

It would also give us a big clue as to the nature of cfs.

Ecoclimber

I'm sure everyone has experienced this. You think you have found something and then it just stops working.

Anyone know if this happens in other illnesses?

I have heard ancedotally of this happening from couple of ME/CFS patients. One was on provigil and the other was on valtrex. Both had spontaneous remission but soon it stopped working. Dr. Goldstein had an explanation which was explained in this thread. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/alternatives-to-arginine-to-raise-nitric-oxide.33528/#post-518467

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Thanks @Sherlock I didn't know that. I had never heard of it before. I wonder what it is. If it only seems to be in auto immune conditions then it would seem the body/immune system changes things around so that these treatments are no longer effective.

It would also give us a big clue as to the nature of cfs.
I'd been mulling this over lately, knackers, and think that maybe some immune cells change their receptors.

After all, Mast Cells have a large number of different types of receptors - plus a variety of products, too. Not all Mast Cells are the same, either - not even in the same person. Why would they change? I don't know but it gets irritating when seemingly everything that once worked seems to stop :meh: But I think of it more as auto-inflammatory rather than autoimmune.

Immune cells are probably the ones that have the most morphing ability, too.

Yep, clues are what it's all about :)

That happens to me. Not with everything but it is such a disappointment. On the other hand, I'm thankful for the days it helps. I can purposely stop and start some of them to get the short benefit.

It also happens to my friend, who does not have ME, but has some problems with metabolism and detox.

knackers323

@knackers323 The first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title, are you doing any detox protocol? Regularly? If I was not, I'd be in big trouble.

Funny you say that as the thing that led me to start this thread was that I had a big improvement for two days on NAC but then it just stopped.

It has happened many times to me with different things.

What would you suggest?

@Ecoclimber that is a very interesting thread but I don't see where Goldstein gives a reason why this happens. Are you able to direct me to the post please

ahmo

@knackers323 I have only one suggestion, like a broken record: Coffee Enemas. Most direct route I've found to detox liver, and thus whole body, all organs. And yes, as Gondwanaland notes, check thyroid. My CE experience and references is linked in my signature.;)

knackers323

Thanks for the suggestions. Some things do work but they quickly stop working again. According to Drs my thyroid is fine. Just had blood tests and my TSH was at the lower end of normal