• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

In depth Google-Translated-Norwegian article on gelatin/broth

optimist

Today I learned about the goodness of gelatin/broth. I've read about several in here who use it, but never got into why.

(Google writes kraft/power/force, and they all are the same word "kraft", which means broth)
Google translation: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&u=http://vof.no/kraft-i-ben-og-armer/&edit-text=&act=url

Original:
http://vof.no/kraft-i-ben-og-armer/

My question is still:
How much? Does it have to be with meals? (before, in the middle or after)...

I bought some gelatin powder today. How do you normally take it? Do you let it dissolve in water, or just take it straight?

helen1

You might want to look into Natasha Campbell McBride's GAPS diet - Gut and Psychology Syndrome - which is very big on bone broth, taken several times a day on an empty stomach at least in the first part of her protocol. It helps to heal the lining of the GI tract so great for leaky gut amongst other things.

Bone broth has gelatin plus a lot of other minerals and amino acids helpful in healing the gut, joints and skin i.e. collagen, glycine, proline, hyaluronic acid, chondroitin, calcium, magnesium, potassium, etc so definitely better than just gelatin. More work though but not as much as you might think.

Just throw some bones in a pot, add water, add some vinegar and simmer for as long as you can, hours. If you're fussy about taste, add some vegetables. If you're just treating it like a supplement, don't bother. With salt, it tastes fine.

You can buy bones in most grocery stores, sold often as pet bones or soup bones. They're cheap. Sometimes you have to ask for them as some stores don't have them out on the shelf.

Also if you're sensitive to MSG, beware of commercial preparations of gelatin as most will contain trace amounts of MSG. I get twitchy legs and insomnia from commercial gelatin.

optimist

Thank you @helen1. My digestion is a big, big mess, and this seems like a possible help factor to get it working. I need to try make some broth :)

I get twitchy legs and insomnia from commercial gelatin.

I will look out for those, even though I already have them to some degree...

Martial

Make sure you use a slow cooker that does not have lead in the ceramic in lay as well. If you plan on cooking bone broth that way anyways.

optimist

I am boiling some lamb bones now after today's dinner. The meat is from wild sheep on the island where I live, so they are more bush fed than grass :lol:

Don't have a slow cooker (yet) but boiling them at very low heat with some added apple cider.

Looking forward to see the results :)

Tunguska

Problem with bone broth is you never really know how much of anything you're getting.

Gelatin needs diluted in warm-hot water, if it's not diluted enough I get bad stomach aches.

optimist

Problem with bone broth is you never really know how much of anything you're getting.

Gelatin needs diluted in warm-hot water, if it's not diluted enough I get bad stomach aches.

I've tried both taking granules in my mouth and swallowing with water, and diluting in luke warm water. So far both have been OK. But I have gotten more insomnia like @helen1 warns about. Not 100% sure yet if its the gelatin, or just coincidence.

optimist

I've tried both taking granules in my mouth and swallowing with water
NOT RECOMENDED! The granules turn in to something similar to glue. I came to think about what if I one day am very distant minded, and manage to breath in and get them in the lungs :nervous: Worst case scenario, but that would be very dangerous. Better dissolve them in water!