• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll: Salt Lamps

Have you felt any benefit at all from them?

• Yes

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

Strawberry

I know there have been discussions about Himalayan salt lamps before, but I just want to know the answer specifically. If you do feel you felt improvement of any sort, I would love it if you could respond below!

I am going to purchase one, or maybe two :D just because they are pretty. I do have a Himalayan tealight candle holder, but not an electric lamp. I imagine the burning wax would eliminate any positive effect.

perchance dreamer

I'm glad you started, this, Strawberry. I've been curious about the same thing.

They are beautiful and would be worth having if only for that.

Strawberry

Thanks @Sushi !

@Gingergrrl I think they are very pretty lamps with their warm orange glow, but the internet is full of claims of cleaning the air, healing ailments, etc. Considering we do know that himalayan salt is good for you with the minerals it contains, it makes me wonder if adding the salt (and supposedly good ions) into the air would help in any way.

Here is an interesting blog post on the lamps; http://blog.golbsalt.com/2012/09/27/healthy-or-hype-himalayan-salt-lamps-negative-ions/

I truly don't care either way, even if it is completely hype, I still want an electric one at least for the office. I have a tea light holder at home, very similar to this one: http://natural-salt-lamps-tiles.com/salt-products-images/natural-shaped-candles-holders/natural-salt-candle-holder-05.jpg I absolutely love the color when I burn candles, but don't like burning candles.

Anyway, in a nutshell, I want one for my desk because they are beautiful. And if it helps me feel just a teeny bit better? Plus. We need all the help we can get!

Hi Strawberry- what a timely question. I have been wanting a salt lamp as well and I am hoping Santa (a.k.a. my husband) gets the hint after telling him to look at my Amazon wish list.

Also, I had wondering the same thing, specifically if anyone notices a benefit from the lamps. From a personal non- scientific experience, I feel markedly better when I am near the ocean. It is decidedly NOT an "aaaahhhhhh so relaxed love the beach, surf, sun" etc. because I used to avoid beach-type holidays like the plague. because heat and humidity make me feel like hell. Dysautomia issues big time. I mentioned the fact that oddly I seemed to feel better around salt waters to a few people who said something along the lines of "oh that does not surprise me, negative ions are said to make people feel better."

Although, I do not have an answer for you I can offer my final thoughts.....what the heck, the lamps are interesting looking, produce a pretty orange-golden light and if you get one do a little online price checking, fairly affordable. The prices seem to vary wildly. I found one website that sells all kinds of salt products and they make wild claims about the curative properties of salt, you feel like if you purchase something from them you have been brain washed into drinking the Kool-Aid. And of course the prices are much higher although it looks like the sell the exact products offered elsewhere for less money and less hype.
I'll let you know of my experience, assuming Santa comes through for me.

Take care, and thank you for asking a great question!
Cassandra

Strawberry

From a personal non- scientific experience, I feel markedly better when I am near the ocean.
This is my experience, too. I am actually moving to get close to salt water.

Although, I do not have an answer for you I can offer my final thoughts.....what the heck, the lamps are interesting looking, produce a pretty orange-golden light and if you get one do a little online price checking, fairly affordable.

I don't believe the salt rock can be made, so they probably all are equal. Walmart seems to have great prices compared to many other places! Although Walmart and Target make me sick with the smells...... NEVER drink the koolaid! ;)

Good luck with Santa:thumbsup:

Gingergrrl

Not sure if this has already been posted but Dr. Mercola has a video about salt lamps and says that there are only certain ones that are effective for health benefits and others that are fakes. I didn't actually watch the video but skimmed through the page and one of the lamps is really pretty! Can a salt lamp really help you with dysautonomia though?

http://products.mercola.com/himalayan-salt/himalayan-salt-lamps.htm

I have a salt lamp. It's just a regular candle style bulb inside. It looks great but I doubt it has done anything for my health. Maybe it does something but the other things in my environment are too strong. I got it off eBay and it was a good price. Maybe it's a fake one? I doubt the salt lamps in most stores are real. The stores I have seen have the same lamp for way more than I paid and I bet it's from the same place.

acrosstheveil

i would think eating sea salt would be more beneficial. however, they are cool looking. i bought one for my dad as a xmas gift this year. maybe i can do some creepy psychological pseudo-study and report his moods after he uses it...lol.

TigerLilea

I told everyone I would update the thread after I did a trial run, and have forgotten for nearly 3 years. oops....

They definitely don't do anything that I can feel, but I sure love that warm glow. So the $10 or so spent was a good investment, but no improvement health wise. It makes a great night light though.
They give off a really nice glow, but they don't have any medicinal qualities at all. And I found that if you use an orange bulb in them, they look much more like the lamps in the pictures.

Gingergrrl

I told everyone I would update the thread after I did a trial run, and have forgotten for nearly 3 years. oops....

They definitely don't do anything that I can feel, but I sure love that warm glow. So the $10 or so spent was a good investment, but no improvement health wise. It makes a great night light though.

@Strawberry You made me wait three years to know if I should get a salt lamp... :p... just joking and I'm in my last 20 min of IVIG and getting stir crazy LOL. I forgot all about the lamp but still think they are pretty and might get one eventually but won't expect any miracle health benefits.