• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Desperate for Help - Chelation therapy and Amalgam Removal for Dummies!

veganmua

In addition to me being ill with CFS, my Dad is ill too. He has 7 amalgams. We both suffer from brain fog and are finding a lot of the info on chelation out there overwhelming, it's a lot to take in. We would like some help and advice.

Some of his symptoms are:
  • Fatigue
  • Weakness on minimal exertion
  • Brittle nails
  • Thinning of the skin
  • Muscle cramps
  • Excessive sweating on minimal exertion, night sweats
  • Limbs go numb easily and often
Do we need to get his 23andme test done? I have my results, could we work from those or do we need to get his done?

We don't have Dr Cutler's book to refer to, but even if we did, what we need is simple, basic advice that is easy to understand, and I don't think the book will provide that.

There are a couple of dentists he can go to get his amalgams removed safely.

Questions-
What should he take prior to the removals? For how long?
What should he take on the day of the removals?
What should he take after the removals? For how long?
Should he be on a low free thiol diet? If so, does this mean he can't use ALA?

His test results are below if they will help anyone. Doctor said there is no evidence of mercury toxicity or poisoning based on haemotological results, but she was obviously not taking into account his genetics. He also had a vit D3 injection and is now on high d3 supplements to remedy the low vitamin d.

Blood mercury - 2.9 mmol/L (reference range 0-30)
Urine mercury - 1.9 mmol/L
Zinc serum levels 20.6 umol/L (reference range 11-24)
Vitamin D3 levels 15 mmol/L (reference range 80 -150)
Autoantibody screen was negative.

If you can't help but know of someone that is more knowledgeable on the subject, please tag them!
(Btw, SNPs in my sig are my own, not my Dad's)

Gondwanaland

One year ago I was freaking out about my amalgams too. But then I realized it would not be a good idea going to the dentist while feeling sick. I am improving my health first. My advice is to start with electrolyte and mineral balance.

I too tested low for vitamin D (12) last year. After 3 months taking 3,000 iu daily my levels went up to 40. When drs. prescribe vitamin D they don't realize it can mess up with electrolyte balance for some people.
http://drcarolyndean.com/2013/03/too-much-vitamin-d/

Right now I am avoiding to overdose with anything and taking low dose supplementations and working my way up slowly with the supplements that show to bring me benefits.

Critterina

The 23andMe test will tell you what enzymes are probably working below or above normal, which may be addressable with supplements. If it's really the amalgams that you're worried about, there are protocols that don't rely on the 23andMe tests. I can't really help you with them, though.

I would encourage you both, when resources are not an issue, to go ahead with the 23andMe tests. If you are both having significant health issues, the insights you can gain may help you beyond the amalgam/detox issue. Realize that you may have other priorities for your the amount of money and energy you can focus on any one thing, though. Most of us are not running at 100% of what was once normal.

veganmua

Does anyone know of any web pages that set it out in a simple, easy to understand way? Are there any other forum members that have done this that might be able to help?

Gondwanaland

Does anyone know of any web pages that set it out in a simple, easy to understand way? Are there any other forum members that have done this that might be able to help?
As a member of Phoenix Rising and the Frequent Dose Chelation Yahoo group I can say that you can learn a lot from both groups, but it will take time. You have to search for key words in the groups, read a lot of threads, watch out for symptoms that ring a bell for you. It is an education process. One big help out there is Eric's blog howirecovered.com

Last edited:

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I would say you need to work with a professional ND/herbalist etc if you haven't the knowledge. I've had 7 amalgams replaced over the past 3yrs and am substantially worse. I've recently been told that you need to get the body stronger, address infections, immune system working better etc before starting amalgam removal. Bit late for me. I wish I hadn't started it when I did. @Gondwanaland makes a good point.

veganmua

As a member of Phoenix Rising and the Frequent Dose Chelation Yahoo group I can say that you can learn a lot from both groups, but it will take time. You have to search for key words in the groups, read a lot of threads, watch out for symptoms that ring a bell for you. It is an education process. One big help out there is Eric's blog howirecovered.com
Thank you.

Gondwanaland

• Fatigue
  • Weakness on minimal exertion
  • Brittle nails
  • Thinning of the skin
  • Muscle cramps
  • Excessive sweating on minimal exertion, night sweats
  • Limbs go numb easily and often
Brittle nails and night sweats can be a sign of low calcium. Muscle cramps can be low magnesium and/or potassium.
Supplementation must be done carefully considering blood pressure, heart and clotting issues for instance.

veganmua

I would say you need to work with a professional ND/herbalist etc if you haven't the knowledge. I've had 7 amalgams replaced over the past 3yrs and am substantially worse. I've recently been told that you need to get the body stronger, address infections, immune system working better etc before starting amalgam removal. Bit late for me. I wish I hadn't started it when I did. @Gondwanaland makes a good point.
Sorry to hear you've been worse. :( I get kind of worried with a lot of ND/herbalists because they seem legit, then you look down the list of treatments they offer and find some magic crystal tarot woo therapy. I have no time for quacks and pseudoscience. It seems that until methylation and detox genes are accepted by mainstream medicine as a causal or contributing factor, quacks will flock to it trying to make a buck.

The thing is, one of his amalgam filled teeth is cracked, and needs a root canal. This is causing him pain and is possibly infected, so it needs to be fixed asap. Perhaps he should just have that one amalgam removed for the meantime. Maybe we should wait until we have amassed a little more knowledge (and money!). How do you go about getting the body and immune system stronger, then?

Brittle nails and night sweats can be a sign of low calcium. Muscle cramps can be low magnesium and/or potassium.
I've got him taking magnesium malate 100% RDA and potassium already. I'll ask him about his calcium levels and maybe start supplementing. Thanks for your help. :)

Gondwanaland

magnesium malate 100% RDA
It could be that malate form is a problem if he has high uric acid. You could have pH strips at home to test urine. There is not a best form of magnesium that is the same for everyone. I had to experiment with lots of different forms myself until I found one that I could tolerate and fixed my issues (and some $ went down the drain as well :meh:)

Sometimes one has to go over the RDA to replenish severe deficiencies. There are a lot of variables to consider.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
The thing is, one of his amalgam filled teeth is cracked, and needs a root canal. This is causing him pain and is possibly infected, so it needs to be fixed asap. Perhaps he should just have that one amalgam removed for the meantime.
If you decide to do that, be sure they don't use amalgam in the root canal as they often do.

Sushi

Johnmac

The answers to your questions exist in plain English in the recently published & very accessible Mercury Poisoning, The Undiagnosed Epidemic, which is on Amazon.

Disclosure: I edited the book.

The author @David Hammond is on this forum, & you should be able to PM him.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
If you decide to do that, be sure they don't use amalgam in the root canal as they often do.

Sushi

I've had a few root canals and luckily my dentist referred me to an endodontist. My endodontist uses low dose digital x-rays, uses a very fine (a little larger than a human hair) flexible (can tie it in a knot) titanium drill bit, uses a head mounted microscope (not the big thick glasses).

He also uses a "laser(?)" that can trace the minuscule holes to kill bacteria (that junk stinks too!) and then places a small amount of gutta-percha. He has never used amalgam in his portion of a root canal, but he doesn't "finish" the tooth.

It's when my regular dentist finished my tooth that I had to make it clear that I didn't want any amalgam used in the build-up(?). Two of them have crowns and the others just tooth colored filling.

I emphatically prefer my endodontist as opposed to my previous dentist that used large, hand held rigid bits the size of a tooth pick plus the root canal didn't work and he then performed an apicoectomy. I ended up having the tooth extracted, but this nightmare was done 10 years before I became ill.

To top it off my previous dentist charged more for a root canal than my now endodontist charges!

Just my opinion, but an endodontist is the way to go!